IRC Mythos XC II Tire

Mythos XC II

The IRC Mythos XC II has helped countless riders scramble to the top of their favorite single-track...and their local podium. Speed with predictability.

Glenn   [Apr 19, 2013]
Strength:

They hold well, and if it slips, it's only a second before it grabs again.

They get pretty hard at about 45 psi.

I have the 2.10 versions and they are perfect for East Texas woods with the tree roots and ocassional sand. The front seems to get traction on the tree roots as long as you keep it near 90 deg. when you hit. The back doesn't slip on the climbs either. I ride in packed dirt and am learning the tires have more grab in hard turns than I am confident for. I haven't found the slip limits of these yet due to my own caution. I put about 45 to 50 psi.

jim   Racer [Oct 22, 2012]
Strength:

light, cheap, good traction overall

narrow for stated width

If you like standard 1.95s, buy the 2.1s, they're about as narrow as standard 1.95s. I bought a pair of the 1.95s for my young son to race on next season when he's big enough for a 26er, those are very narrow, but he is very lightweight.
I've had 2 sets of these on two different bikes, both hardtail 26ers, I ride mostly technical trails with lots of leaves and fir needles, when it's wet my trails are pretty slick, these have good traction wet and dry, I have not been unpleasantly surprised in wet or dry. I recently installed a set on my old race litespeed hardtail to run in a cyclocross race with several long sand sections (for better float on the sand than my cx bike). Along with the damp sand was wet and dry pavement, damp grass and packed dirt. I would have liked a wider tire for the sand, but these stayed on top pretty good, they had good grip in the other areas, and I would/will race them again. I weigh 175, running about 40 psi cold.

Similar Products Used: Specialized The Captain, Velociraptor rear, Panaracer Dart, others
danmaran   [Oct 01, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, Price, materials and tread design.

actual size

These can be had in the kevlar form from PricePoint for around $35 a pair, great value for the tires. My issue is the 1.95's are more like 1.75's this isn't a big deal if you know it ahead of time. So with that in mind the ability to deal with loose conditions is diminished, but is doable. On hard-pack they roll fast and handle predictably, in loose stuff they wash out very easily so be prepared. I'm a bigger guy so I run them around 45(f)/50(r) psi and that seems about optimal for around 205lbs, creating enough traction with the skinny 1.95's. **These are used on a rigid SS**

jason turner   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2012]
Strength:

Price, tread pattern, looks cool

none noted - weight?

I'm not a tire expert. I like the price of these tires and haven't had any problems. The tread doesn't wear too fast and I haven't had any sidewall issues either. I like the tread pattern that suits my style of riding and the trails I ride. No complaints with these tires.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos, Specialized
Paul W.   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2012]
Strength:

Light, predictable, stable, durable

Light but inspires confidence straight ahead or in turns (due to high lateral knobs).
My riding consists of streets and light trail riding, so I wanted something lighter and
not-as-knobby as the Velociraptors. These do not have the ride of the Hutchinsons,
but they have never failed me in the three years I have been on them, including the earlier
(XC) version. I have ridden them through six inches of mud on the trails and they handle
perfectly. Outstanding tire unless you are in the trenches all the time. I can't say I have ridden
them on rock enough to evaluate their traction on that surface, but then again, a little unseen
sand can take down any tire.

Similar Products Used: WTB Velociraptor, Hutchinson Cobra
Farmer Ted   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2011]
Strength:

Great price, reasonably light, good grip in dry conditions with proper inflation

mine wear pretty quickly but we have crazy amounts of rocks in this state

For the price from Price Point, these are great tires. with all of the rocks in Colorado, no tire lasts very long so I refuse to pay $50 for a tire that's only going to last for a couple hundred miles.

I've been running these and the original Mythos XC tires on 2 bikes for a number of years and once they're set up to a proper inflation, they hold/grip/climb great in the dry, rocky hardpack conditions that I ride in. I'm around 175 lbs and I've found that running mine between 35-40 psi gives me the best grip and no pinch flats on my full suspension bikes. I used to run them with higher pressure...up to 55 psi but they got pretty sketchy under hard cornering when run this hard.

I get about 200-250 miles out of a rear and about twice that out of a front. they'd probably last much longer without all the steep, technical rocky climbs and descents I do.

I've got Kenda Small Block 8s on my 29er and I think they're a better overall tire but they also cost 2 to 3 times as much and I don't ride that bike the same way I do the full suspension bikes so I'll stick with the Mythos on those.

Similar Products Used: lots
gingus   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2011]
Strength:

Light Tire

Too many pinch flats. low knobs. Only lasted one season

Good tire to start out MTB, but when the trails got more technical, i tended to get more pinch flats. The next set will be something different.

Similar Products Used: None
Ecogeek   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2011]
Strength:

Front Kevlar 2.1 38psi 190lb rider: Light, fast, cheap, decent performance on all trails in the dry.
Rear Kevlar 2.1: Light, cheap, ok for light riders on not steep trails.

Front Kevlar 2.1: None
Rear Kevlar 2.1 in suggested rotation direction: Low tread makes for poor traction on real climbs in suggested direction. I hear it is better reversed and looking at it I expect that is true. Braking would suffer a little. Low treat means fairly short life esp as it spins up more. But at this price, even with fast wear the cost would be low.

Review is for Kevlar 2.1 Race version.
I am 190lb loaded. Mrs is 140lb loaded.
Ridden front and rear on real rocky mountain trails to >2500m on hard-tails and full-sus.
Front measures 49mm/51mm casing/tread width w caliper.
Rear measures 48/51 casing/tread.
Says on sidewalls 40-60psi. Not a low-pressure tire.

Don't let the rear performance undermine the value of the front.

The *rear* tread is too low for steep real-mtn trails unless you are light. Ok (not great) for Mrs. Not for me. Not enough bite for my weight/leg-power on steep climbs. Will spin. Rear is for light riders and/or non-steep climbs. Trails here frequently have pitches as steep as a bike can climb. So it's a torture test for climbing traction and I refuse to EVER push. The rear-specific Mythos XCII Kevlar race would be ok (not great) for riders to 120lb.
A reveiwer below says it is better reversed and looking at the tread pattern I am sure that would be true. Braking and rolling resistance would suffer a bit. Not a problem on the rear.
Someone try reversing it in the middle of a ride and post if the difference. I would, but it's mid winter!

The *front* is a different story in the generally dry E-slopes conditions I ride. Good tire. V good for the money. Needs plenty of pressure. 36-40psi seems to work. This also makes it v fast rolling. Low weight. Good tire for lighter less aggressive trail-riders (like my Mrs at 140 loaded), or for XC for the men. Good braking. Decent cornering. Fast rolling. Decent wear. No probs. I have ridden this tire fast over rocky (jagged) off-camber trails with no problems. I do make a concious effort not to let obviously sharp rocks near my rims/sidewalls. No steering probs on Reba and Recon 130 forks. No washout problems. Mud not good. Deep gravel or slick diagonal polished/waxed/greased roots not good, but not worse than anything else on 'impossibly' slippery stuff like clay on roots.

I would say that the front is good for anyone who is not heavy and rides in mainly dry conditions.
The rear is fine for not-steep, not-rooty, dry. However, for those conditions there are still faster tires. Like the Front version of the same tire! For flat trails (if I rode them) I'd try two fronts. Rear would be fine for fire-road riding. One note. It did seem to suck noticably climbing in deep and fine sand. Not much of that around here, but the Mrs can usually do ok on most surfaces, when we hit one sand section she had nothing and couldn't get going again but my Motoraptor 2.2 had no problem. Probably all due to taller tread. Rear tread pattern also makes it liable to slip fast sideways on those slick roots. If you frequently encounter sand or wet roots I would def avoid the rear version of the Mythos.
Front still fine though.

Motoraptor Race has more grip but is slower, heavier, more expensive.
Hard to get a tire this light for a decent price. So the front is recommended for anyone on a budget and under 200lb who rides in mainly dry conditions. Pump it to 40psi and work from there.
My official rating is only for the Front. I would rate the rear 3value/2.5performance for *my* needs. If I rode less steep or was a skinny/midget, it would be closer to the front in both regards.
Front can't be beat for value and the performance is fine. Can't compare to a beefier Motoraptor 2.2 for grip, but the Moto can't compare for price/weight of the Mythos which outperforms its cost in the dry.

Similar Products Used: WTB Motoraptor 2.1/2.2, IRC Serac 1.95/2.1.
yemajah   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2010]
Strength:

good grip, good cornering

jumps beside on the rear wheel, higher rolling resistance than the cheaper Serac

Good tires, i like the ones from IRC, btu the cheaper Serac a quite better