IRC Mud Mad XC Tire

Mud Mad XC

Soft conditions can turn even the smoothest pro DH specialist into a human soil sample. So last year we introduced the IRC Mudmad DH, a soft condition specialty tire that sheds dirt, mud and seconds more effectively than any other tire on the market. The tire of choice for elite level downhillers looking for maximum clearance and penetration in loose racing conditions. Incorporates radical soft-specific tread pattern, super strong MC Coil Casing technology, and the pinch-flat resistant PRF System. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications.

Andrew Kalter   Racer [Dec 31, 2003]
Strength:

Incredible traction on wet ice, roots and rocks.

Heavy, noisy, and slippery on dry pavement and rocks.

This is a review of the Studded and non studded version. Great tire for all out traction but this can also slow it down a bit compared to a more cross country race tire. The Snow Mad which is the studded version is incredible. My skilled riding buddies are on there backs crying while I ride around them on wet ice waiting fot them to recover. Same neg. of being a slow tire if you don't need it. I have gotten great life out of my tires.

Similar Products Used: Homemade Studded Tires
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2003]
Strength:

The Best Mud Tyre bar none.
Good in deep mud.
Great Traction.

Can be a bit slow in marginal conditions.
Rear will wear quickly.

These tyres are at their best in deep mud and roll pretty well for a 1.95. Try them and I dont think you will be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer XC Pro 2.1 & Trailblasters (never again), Tigo XC 1.95.
Warwick   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2001]
Strength:

Good allround tyre wet or dry, up or down and the price is right.

Open tread, so don't like tar seal.

I won't be changing in a hurry. Infact friends are changing to MUD MADS now.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer
shiggy   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 03, 1999]
Strength:

mud clearing
Front traction
climbing

rear tire jumps sidewise on braking and fast cornering

The front is THE best mud tire out there. The rear on the other hand is OK because of the lack of lateral traction. I went back to the 1.8 storm control after 2 months. front=5, rear=2.5, 4 for the set

Similar Products Used: storm control (1.8 and 2.2)
spike
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2000]
Strength:

MUD!! Great tracking, mud clearing, etc.

Mud only, a little scary on hard turns when used on the front

It bites the ground very well in wet conditions. If you live a climat where mud is a large part of your riding. Add one of these to your collection. Works alright for dry but there are a lot better alternatives out there for varied terrain (Panaracer Fire XC Pro). Admittedly, I haven't used it in the rear, but after reading these reviews, will try it out on my next ride.
The first one that I bought formed a bubble between the treads after the first month. The replacement is fine.

Similar Products Used: Various XC tires, no pure mud tires.
Clark   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2000]
Strength:

Absolutely rocks in the mud

Hard to find (locally or online)

In the Pacific Northwest we have many types of mud, and this tire absolutely smokes thru even the thickest slop. I'm impressed. These tires (or tire, I use the IRC on the rear only) glide thru everything from the slick stuff following a light rain to the deep muck we get after a week’s worth of drizzle. When the trail dries out, the IRC discards mud in a hurry and is great over roots, rocks, and whatever else the trail throws at 'ya. I highly recommend these tires, especially if you live in climates like ours.

Similar Products Used: Geax tires, Panaracer Fire XC pro
Brad   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2000]
Strength:

Absolutly the best rear mud tire I've ever ridden. We get lots of mud up here, in all consistancies, and this tire hooks up and goes through it all. It is so good, you can get away with sloppy riding and just laying down power to pull you out, and the tire comes through. I have been amazed at how well it works in drier conditions as well (drier in the northwest means an inch or so of softness on the trail surface. Runs on/over rocks and roots very well, too. This tire on the rear, and a Specialized Team Control Team up front has become the set up of choice with our Saturday morning group.

For use as designed (in the MUD), none.

Best mud tire, hard to find, and one of the LBS guys said IRC has stopped making the model!

Similar Products Used: Specialized, WTB, Bontrager
Jason Higgins   Racer [Jan 22, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent performance in the worst conditions.
Average performance in dry conditions.

Trying to find a set( it was for me, anyway).

These tires have performed great for me. I recently took them out on my Specialized in probably the worst conditions I have ever ridden and did not unclip my feet once. Very predictable tire in very sticky, wet, leafy type of early winter mud. The tire sheds great and can even be used if you expect to encounter awide variety of conditions. Obviously they are intended for the sloppy stuff, but are at least average on the dry spots as well. These were very hard to find. Do not confuse the DH Mud Mad with the skinny CC version.

5 radioactive lab rats!

Similar Products Used: My first true MUD tire.
Chris   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 14, 1999]

Best mud tire hands down. Climbs and tracks great in loose stuff. Best tire I have ever ridden.

Alan Whymant   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent mud traction (Oooh look, I'll ride up there!), predictable on the limit, OK when (if) the trails dry up a bit. Tallish, narrow profile cuts through mud but gives a good air volume to stop pinch flats.

A bit on the heavy side, expensive in the UK (£33 *each*).

Good Autumn/Winter tyres. The traction will keep you riding through stuff that others are walking. I've even used them to good effect in some muddy races. In Spring and Summer I switch to Mythos XCs as they are so much faster.