IRC El Gato Tire

IRC El Gato Tire

If you’re twisted enough to compete in trials, or you’re one of those people who commute all winter while normal folks retreat to the comfort of their heated Subaru™, then you need a pair of El Gatos. Featuring a wide 2.25 square profile, high grip rubber compound and near-indestructible SPR System sidewalls. Everything but a coupon for free psychiatric evaluation. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications.

[Sep 22, 2012]
chill dizzl

Strength:

Crazy grip.

Heavy. Expensive if not a closeout/leftover.

These tires are indeed heavy compared to the current 2012 lineup, but they still grip like crazy. If you can find them on closeout and aren't a racer, they are the best. I do burn through a set in a season though, maybe a little faster than others. I wish I bought some extras when I found them on closeout.

Anyone getting pinch flats is likely not a smooth rider... if trials riders are not pinching with these, it's probably your technique.

[Feb 11, 2002]
Beeco

Strength:

It grips like hot glue!!!!
It is light for a 2.25.
I can't see how anyone can puncture one.
They're f***ing awsome.
I will never use anything else

????????

These tires won't slip.I'm runnig about 25-30 psi.When i do a gap and land right on the edge it never slips unlike tiogas.They cushion everything so it feels like you've landed it mint even if you haven't.I payed £30.
This tire is great for trials.

Tioga 2.1-worst tire ever

[Oct 27, 2001]
Nick

Strength:

Good soft rubber compound really grips up on concrete
Fairly wide, reasonably strong sidewalls

Could be wider.. but then it would be heavier
Sidewalls could be stiffer, but again, then it would be heavier

I ride urban trials quite a bit. I have 6 years of XC experience and not quite 1 year of trials. I'm not fantastic at it, as I haven't learned to lurch yet, but I do a lot of stuff that tests this tire- hopping up steps, 3-4' dropoffs, and occasionally leaping down staircases and such to break the slow-speed monotony. This tire holds up well for me. I run about 30 PSI and I weigh 180#, and I've only pinch flatted once despite missed j-hops up ledges and staircases. I decided to try this one to shed the weight of the Kujo I used to use. The Kujo's sidewalls are much thicker and stronger, so you have to run higher PSI with this one, but the softer sidewalls mean you get good wraparound and good traction even with higher PSI. The soft rubber really grips noticeably better on concrete and steel too. I've gone for 3-foot j-hops that I didn't get the back tire up high enough for, so the tire contacted the edge just behind the bashguard, and the tire help its grip well enough to allow me to hop the rest of the way up. I'm really fond of this tire.

IRC Kujo

[Sep 25, 2006]
John

Strength:

Lotsa rubber. Paddle middle for going up and down and double row side knobs for smooth and progressive sidehill action. Surprisingly low rolling resistance. Comfy ride at 40 psi. Wears as well as anything else.

Supposedly weak sidewall, but it's already almost 900g and probably 700 of that in the tread! Haven't blown one yet, but...picks up lots of weeds in the closely spaced side knobs. Isn't trendy. Feels goofy, but works, on pavement.

This tire has lots of flexible rubber on the ground so the slide and hookup thing is really smooth. With skill you can crawl up amazing things, but brute force is not so rewarded, as the knobs keel over, especially if you are a heavy rider [I'm 165] . At higher speeds and agressive loads, it's just another, and a bit too heavy, tire. But it reliably gets me to the finesse bits where it shines. It's an almost historical design that is still in production, so there must be a reason.
I went through a period of knob shedding and sidewall blowing - grrr$$$- which stopped when I got on these, so I guess by comparison to some its an economy tire, especially on a per pound basis! I gave it five chilis for still entertaining me after two seasons.

Mythos, Serac, Panaracer Fire, Bontrager, Ritchey, Python, Superheat

[Sep 25, 2006]
John

Mythos, Serac, Panaracer Fire, Bontrager, Ritchey, Python, Superheat

[Sep 04, 2001]
chris
Downhiller

Strength:

corners well, pretty tough, good resistance to punctures

not grippy enough

good strong tyre at a reasonably good price

tioga 2.1/2.3

[Jul 10, 2001]
Tom

Strength:

Looks cool
Grippy

too small
very poor pinch resistance

I bought this tire hoping it would be as good as all the hype said it was, and all I can say is I sure wasted my money! I used to run 15-20 PSI on my Tioga DH's without every pinching, and now with these crappy El Gato's I even pinch at 35 PSI...what kinda of sh*tty tires are these anyway? I took a look at them more carefully...they have the same weak, thin, and floppy casing as IRC's XC tires, they're not even close to 2.25" in width, and they still weight 850g! Sorry IRC, but you really blew it this time.

Panaracer Fire DH 2.3"
Tioga DH 2.3"

[Sep 24, 2000]
Azza

Strength:

excellent grip
pinch flat resistance

weak sidewalls
price

Ive had these tires for about 3 months and they had far better grip than my tiogas did. however, they are pretty much ruined because the sidewalls have two tears in them.
They are for trials and they excel at, but not good really for bush assualt weaponary

tioga 2.1,2.3 DH

[Sep 30, 1998]
Aaron Carpenter

I've been running the El Gatos front and rear on my stock trials bike for 6 months, and so far they're the best tires I've tried. Very grippy, and the generous side knobs perform well when you're hanging on the edge of something. I run about 30lbs of air in both, and had only had one flat so far, even though I ride mostly on concrete. The weight is about 850 grams, which is a little on the heavy side, but that doesn't bother me much. Overall, a very good tire. I'll give it 5 chilis.

[Dec 27, 2000]
Craig

Strength:

man these tires are da shaznat!!! man in the summer spring and fall i love them!!!

suck azz in the snow

These tires are wicked in everything but snow... i took my bike out the other day, my friend and i went out to slide around in the snow... he runs irc also(backwoods) man in the snow he was just wastin me!!! my tires plugged with snow like a whOrre workin all night... they blew n#ts soo bad i was gonna take em off and burn them!!! But then you have to remember, yes they are a trials tire, yes they do work AWESOME on dry, anything summer...so i decided to keep em.. and i also read, another review on these tires saying you get better traction if you reverse the direction... i am gonna do that tonite cuz were goin snowin tommorrow!!! happy trails!!!

everything