Intense System 4 Tire

System 4

CrossCountryTire forTrail use. Offers excellentTractionin most conditions.Tread design has many square profileknobs for great hook up and low rolling resistance. Folding BeadSingle Ply650 grams

GeEkBoY   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2010]
Strength:

Great Grip, High Volume, Strong sidewalls for an XC tire

due to soft durometer, the tires can be a little squirmy on hard-pack

Fantastic tires, I do not ride tubeless and they are listed as not suitable for tubeless so why rate them poorly for something they are not designed for?!?!? I ride with light conti tubes, these are a great AM tire and almost as light as a tubeless conversion. In the Rockies, these tires are fantastic. They do clog in extended mud sections but even when wet, they grip wet rocks and roots better than any tire I have ridden. For this use, I have found nothing as good.

Unless you are a racer or you ride in extreme mud, they are a great tire for multiple conditions.

cheers!

Similar Products Used: Geax Sturdy, Velociraptors, Panaracers
kellympaw   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2008]
Strength:

Good all around tire that rolls very well and is wide enough for tough XC or all mountain riding.
Pretty light for 2.25 width

They are soft and the knobs are flexy.
They don't seem like they are going to last very long.

I found these tires to be very flexy and soft. They grip well on rocks but on anything loose they spin out or slide. The back tire made my whole bike feel squishey. I took the back tire off and the front tire is working well enough that I'll keep it on there until it shows more wear.
They do roll very well and the weight is reasonable for a 2.25 tire.
I found them to work better with higher PSI especially on the back tire.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis, WTB, Kenda Nevegals, etc.
Dubbya B   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Grippy, light, low rolling resistance.

Horrible with Stans No-Tubes. A handfull of the nobs ripped off after two months of riding on both the front and rear tire (maybe 30 rides).

Good tire in the beginning but they quickly started tear apart at the seams. Perhaps they would work better with tubes but I prefer to ride without tubes and use Stans No-Tubes.

Similar Products Used: Too many to list.
pimpbot   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2007]
Strength:

sticks to loose stuff fairly well.

Walks all over the place on hardpack when side loaded. Have to run higher pressures than other tires to keep the tire form squirming, heavy for an XC tire, kinda slow rolling, but not too bad.

These tires made my bike feel like I cracked the rear triangle or a bearing failed or something. It made the rear end feel sloppy, vague, and not confident in the turns.

Climbing and braking traction felt pretty good. They also seem to have beefy sidewalls and feel like they would be difficult to pinch flat. Although the sidewalls are obviously a bit stretchy.

These were sold to me by a gal at the Intense booth, and she told me they were about 600g each, and rolled really fast. Well, they turned out to be about 774 grams. My bike now tips the scale at 29 lbs, which is pretty portly for an XC bike. They also roll pretty slowly. My bike felt a bit like dragging a dead body around. I felt a bit like a sucker, but I got them for $40 for the pair, so it was not too much cash lost.

Decent tire, but not great. Probably a better tire for a more loamy area than my dry hardpack trails on a 30 lbs 5-6" travel Nomad or something, but 2.25s are a bit small for that application. I'll probably ride them until they wear out. They aren't so bad that I feel motivated to take them off my bike.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mibros, Kenda Karmas, Panaracer Cinders, Hutchinson Scorpions.
Bob Burnes   Racer [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

Man, these can grip the ground on the most of the mountain cross courses I've been on this season!
Grip, weight, and rolling speed are all good.

Most people would assume, and rightly so, that the system 4 is for XC use. It's an awesome option for the mountain crossers out there. Great spinning weight, awesome traction, and awesome rolling speed make the S4 a great tire option on race day.

Similar Products Used: Intense Zero Lites, 909 Lites
ben   Downhiller [May 19, 2006]
Strength:

VERRRRY rugged tire that looks and feels more like DH rubber. After 4 months of moderate to very heavy abuse - I have yet to change a single inner tube.

Cornering on loose-over-hardpack is a little unpredictable compared to the Intense CC 2.25. A little bit heavy but still within reason and not a huge buden on the climbs.

This tire is really quite impressive. I have ridden these for about 3 or 4 months now on a HUGE variety of terrain and haven't had any hint of a flat yet. This includes areas where I used to get thorn flats often and on some REALLY sharp gnarly rocky descents.

I may go back to the CC 2.25 because of the fast cornering advantage ( and the weight savings) but it will be very hard to justify leaving the downhill traction and unbelievable ruggedness of these tires behind.

I have noticed some riders have raved about the cornering of this tire so my best advice is to definitely TRY IT. Maybe it's just my fork or something that makes them feel a little "slippery" in fast hard corners. Either way, I guarantee you'll love these tires if you're into more aggressive xc, all mntn, freeride, etc. - for sure.

Similar Products Used: Intense 2.25 CC, Specialized various, other
Jon LaMoreaux   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2006]
Strength:

strong cornering. EXCELLENT cornering on hardpack ,loose over hardpack, gravel, damp loam, and rocks. high quality construction. tough. rolls pretty rast. looks cool...intense.

loads up when subjected to sticky clay/mud ..not as bad as nevegal 2.3 .745grams is kinda heavy.

this tire rules. if you can live with the weight. rolling ,cornering, braking, and durability are great. summertime tire for my area. for a tire this good i would pay much more. not a race tire (super d mabey) awesome trail tire. almost dh worthy. in my opinion it feels faster than nevegal and better handling than trailbear or nbx ..mabey not as hard cornering as minion. having these tires makes me want to ride!

Similar Products Used: irc mythos/trailbear2.1-2.25-2.5,nokian nbx2.3 kenda nevegal/bg2.3,maxxis minion/mobster2.3,wtb motoraptor/enduro2.1-2.4,spec adrenaline/enduro 2.1,tioga xc/redpheonix
isaac stokes   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2005]
Strength:

Well, well... I didn't think I'd ever switch from my beloved Conti Vertical Pros but these have made a believer of me. Actually tried them accidentally when using a wheelset off another bike on my Blur. I'm usually a gram counter (especially rotational weight of course) but I just kept thinking how money these were as a front tire the longer I procrastinated and kept riding them. Then I discovered they weight 775 grams which kin

Well, well... I didn't think I'd ever switch from my beloved Conti Vertical Pros but these have made a believer of me. Actually tried them accidentally when using a wheelset off another bike on my Blur. I'm usually a gram counter (especially rotational weight of course) but I just kept thinking how money these are as a front tire the longer I procrastinated and kept riding them. Then I discovered they weight 775 grams which kinda shocked me (Vert Pros are usually 610 grams in kevlar... check out weightweenies.starbike.com for real component weight listings... great site!!) as the volume seems about %50 more than other tires of this nature/weight I have used and checked out.

Anyhow I'm going to give it a solid 4 chillis... even leaning toward 4.5.

If you have the means I highly recommened you pick some up.

Rene Hoepelman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2005]
Strength:

Great all round tire can handle what ever you pedal through, foldable

does not last long with stans no tubes.

These are the only tires I will buy for both of my xcountry bikes.

If your bike will hold a tire this size (26 x 2.25)you wont be disappoined. They have excellent traction in sand, mud and hard pack with loose stuff on top (If you live in calif you know what I mean) the wider tire also provides a little extra plushness in the ride. I just feel safer riding on them vs a skinnier more unstable tire. These tires last a long time and they look bad ass.

These tires wont hold up for very long with stans no tubes. The tires will buldge and the kevlar will seperate after a week or two. For normal xcountry riding use standard tubes and you should have no problems.