Intense System 2 Tire

Intense MTB System 2 is a versatile XC tyre capable of performing in mixed conditions. The continuous row of center knobs provide very low rolling resistance while the side knobs offer plenty of bite when leaning the bike hard. 468g.

motormonkeyr6   Downhiller [Nov 09, 2011]
Strength:

Rolls absurdly fast!

Goesnt grip soaked roots that well.

I have been running this tire off and on for close to TWO years. On every kind of bike, hardtail xc to full on 8" travel DH bike. From dry hard pack to loamy Santa Cruz trails to a slushy mud fest! I have really enjoyed this tire. Great tread wear. Still has plenty of tread after 2 years of hard abuse.

Would buy again for sure!

Similar Products Used: Small Block 8, Python
DNav1   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2010]
Strength:

rolls... but poorly..looks nice

fell apart. DANGEROUS

From the get go I could never seem to mount these straight (as if the bead wouldn't seat properly). I got 100 miles or so of road to dirt road (wobbly) riding and on my way home my rear tire developed a nice bubble/ bump. Got home and realized that the tube nearly popped through the casing, so I put my old Conti on and left the wobbly system 2 on front. today I went to check the air on my front and yup you guessed it the front did the same thing!!!! Don't waste your money!!! I have yet to call customer service but from previous posts it sounds like just a waste of time. Oh yeah...I rode today on old tires Conti & Tioga. I was meeting my buddy to ride so I did a 3-4 min. tire swap and my old used tire mounted up perfectly straight without any problems.

Similar Products Used: u name it
airman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2009]
Strength:

Fast rolling

Very poor quality tire. Heavy for its size. Hard to mount because of tight tire bead

Fast rolling tire suited to dry hardpack only. Good for racing but a hand full in anything loose. These tires are really poor quality. I bought 2 and one had such a WOW in it I had to scrap it! That tire shouldn't even make it out of the factory. If you buy these, get them somewhere that you can return them because they're hit and miss on quality.

Similar Products Used: Pythons, Ralphs, Twisters, Raven, Crow
Bob   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

Good traction

Too porous for use with Stan's; Very poor quality control; poor customer service

Ordered a System 2 from Supergo. Got a System 1. Sent it back, asked them to ship a System 2 PRONTO so I could use it in an upcoming race. As insurance, I ordered another System 2 from Universal Cycles, with overnight delivery. The Supergo tire showed up, the Universal Cycle tire didn't, even though I paid $19.00 for overnight delivery (they eventually credited me the shipping cost).

I mounted the first tire I got and filled it with Stan's sealant. The sidewalls and tread area were so full of holes it wouldn't hold more than 35psi without sealant oozing out everywhere. I raced on it and it worked well, but I wouldn't want to go on a long ride with it.

I mounted the second tire (from Universal Cycles)with a tube. 1/2 mile into my first ride with it, it was rubbing on my brake. The tire looked like it had a bad bead, and had about 3/4" of axial runout. Going around corners was scary. It finally blew off of my rim.

I called Intense, they said send back both of them. A week later, I got a package. One System 2, one System 4. I called Nick at Intense, who said they didn't have any more System 2's, so he sent a System 4 which is a big monster 745gram tire. I had no use for that. He told me he'd round up a System 2 and give me a call back later that day. That was 3 days ago...

The leaky tire worked pretty good, but not good enough to use with Stan's. The other one was just plain garbage. Back to Pythons for me.

Similar Products Used: Plenty
Sam   Racer [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Great racing tire. Low rolling resistance and tracks incredibly well. Worked great in the mud at a recent Winter Park Race (circuit one). Saved my Behind after wet&muddy XTR Vbrakes just about ran me into a tree at mach 2.

None so far

These tires are awesome! Buy them if you want to go fast in just about any condidition. I'll save these tires for racing though.

Read: Train on a heavier more durable tire and race with these puppies and you'll be double-happy family.

Intense: Thanks for saving my A!# from running into a tree!

Similar Products Used: Ritchey ZED's, Conti Twister Pros, Intense cc 2.25's (see my review for these also)
Victor   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

See below

Poor durability. Only lasted ~175 miles.

I have to downgrade my prior review of this tire. I was pretty enthusiastic about these when I first tried them but only about 175 miles later the rear tire is trashed. The tire is splitting lengthwise along the center of the tread, about 8 inches long. The threads are visible between the short knobs, the tire is bulging out along the split, and it's way out of round. This is unsafe. The tires did ride and grip well when new but I expected these to last much longer. I'm giving 1's to offset the 5's I gave in my prior review.

Similar Products Used: See below
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Good roll resistance; these tires seem to handle higher pressures than other tires I have owned; great grip on anything hard that is not loose; Good side wall support.

The worst tires I have ever used in anything soft; After ~ 50 miles there is noticable wear. Given that there is very little tread to begin with, this is not good. Not a good all around tire.

Not worth the money. Compared to Hutchinson Pythons (which are very similiar) the System 2 tires do not come close. The HP's grip better in all cases, have a slightly higher air volume, wear longer and are much lighter. In slick rock conditions without any sand, they grip great. But other thn on the road, where does this exist.

Similar Products Used: Many many... Hutch Pythons, Conti Explorer & Verticle, Maxxis Mobster, WTB, Michelin Wild Gripper
Brent   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

Surprisingly grippy, fast rolling, and reasonably priced.

It'd be nice if they were a little lighter.

When I first saw these tires, I thought their round, closed-tread design gave them the appearance of more commuter tires rather than capable trail/race tires, but they received praise in both Mountain Bike magazine's Editors' Choice issue a couple of issues back, and also in Bicycling magazine (it figures that both mags would be consistent, considering their shared staff now). And since my Conti Exploreres were on their last threads, I decided to give the System 2s a try. I'm glad I did, because these tires are amazing. The sticky compound in these tires really does make a huge difference -- they handle steep, loose-gravel climbs and hardpack turns better than any aggressively lugged tires that I've used in the past. And better yet, these are the fastest-rolling tires I've ever used. I expected the soft compound to wear faster than conventional tires, but in the 2+ months I've had them on my bike, they don't seem to have incurred any more wear and tear than any other tire would. For a company that I've always thought of as catering predominately to downhillers, Intense sure got a cross-country winner with the System 2s.

Similar Products Used: Conti Explorer, Specialized control/masters, various WTBs, IRC Mythos
Andrew   Racer [Apr 05, 2004]
Strength:

Fast rolling, easy Stan's conversion, relatively light, great for use intended.

Haven't found any yet.

I tried these out for a couple of weeks on my Stan's wheelset. They inflated with no problem and held air very well (a big plus with Stan's). I raced them last weekend and won (expert). Even though the knobe are relatively small they hold well. When they break free in a turn the slide is very predictable and easy to control. I'll re-post after further testing.