Intense Edge Fro Lite Tire

• S50 Sticky Rubber Compound
  • 2 Ply 36 TPI Casing
  • Foldable Bead

ron m.   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2010]
Strength:

Unbelievable grip!

Heavy at 1183 grams (2.61 lbs)

If you classify yourself as more of a cross-country rider (which I do), then this tire is a trade-off between increased downhill speed versus a more laborious uphill (weight). I can definitely feel the 2 extra pounds of rotating mass, especially in steeper sections. BUT, this tire shines going downhill. Where my old tires used to skitter on some turns with marginal cornering angle, these tires would stay put even with the bike pitched almost 45 degrees.

Five chilis for value (it's only $17 per tire)
Three chilis only because it's a pig of a tire

Similar Products Used: Mythos IRC, Panaracer Smoke/Dart
OVERALL
Ricardo   [Feb 11, 2008]
Strength:

Strong casings - no sidewall tears, even in extremely rocky DH race setting. GREAT rolling resistance! Excellent bead. Good weight for a 2-ply tire as tough as it is!

Not a wet-conditions tire!

The center knobs are very low profile, so it slides easily, even on dry. The side knobs catch when leaned, and i've grown to love this!

FRO Edge Lite rear / FRO DH Lite front

I like these tires a lot! Single sidewalls are worthless for me, even on an AM bike. I've worn out at least a dozen sets of 1300+ gram 2-ply DH tires in the last few years. Every "promising" lighter tire has ripped in the first few weeks of use.

Not so with these Intense tires! They're holding up as well as my "old stanby" Maxxis DH tires which weigh 200-300 grams more.

I'm runnin these TUBELESS with UST rims, WITHOUT a rim strip!!! Never have they burped, and I run them @ no more than 22psi (I'm ~ 180 w/ armor).

One of the best aspects of these tires is their reletively low rolling resistance.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Minion DH & Mobster DH - worn out many sets over the years! Nevegal DH - worn out a few... and a bunch of UST & single wall tires...
OVERALL