Intense 909 Fro Tire

• Sticky Rubber Compound
  • 72 TPI Casing
  • Wire, 4 Strand & 4Ply Casing Bead

_cK_   Downhiller [Sep 08, 2008]
Strength:

Good side knob placement and stagger along with well placed center lugs give it traction in that "intermediate" zone on the tread. Basically this tire is a variant of the Michilen Comp 32 (or DH 32, A/T 32... whatever the he77 they are calling it these days)

In loam and mulch - type conditions, as a front tire this sucker will help you corner like a snake in a rat hole. On hardpack it grips pretty well too but I have the hard compound 60a so I don't know what the 50a Sticky feels like in comparison. I'd say it almost hooks up as well as my 40a SRY Minion DHF up front in hardpack, but will loose grip at the limit whereas the Minion will keep holding an edge.

As a rear tire, it will grip and hold, but again will break loose and slide a bit earlier than a Minion DHF would. When this happens it is predictable and controllable.

Nearly impossible to pinch-flat. Throw a DH tube inside and you are almost riding flat-proof wheels. Great for experimenting with lines during practice for a race - no time wasted fixing a flat.

Wear: the 60a hard compound lasts foreva - unless you are a daily rider at Whistler which eats tires, brakes, and drivetrains for breakfast.

I have the 4-Ply FRO versions (which as of 8/08 seem to be discontinued.

Weight - on Intense's website they stated that a 909 FRO 4-ply was around 1545g, but when I weighed one of mine - and this was after some wear - it was a hefty 1625g.

Rolling resistance on hardpack - would have been nice if they ramped the center knobs like on a Maxxis Minion DHF... but resistance isn't too bad really.

For a rider who is about 160 to 170 w/o gear and probably a halfway decent DH'er I'd say these are great tires for learning how to get your lines wired. Also great if you want to run crazy low pressures and get a bit more bump absorption and traction. If you have a race course that is super steep and rocky, you won't have to worry about speed checking before the gnarly sections - just get over the back and let the tires bang into things - no worries and gives you confidence you won't flat.

Too bad they discontinued them, but hopefully they'll bring em' back.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Minion DHF, High Roller, Mobster, Nokian NBX DH, Spesh Roller Pro...
Billy Buchmeyer   Downhiller [Jul 17, 2007]
Strength:

You can rely on them in corners to not totally wash out on you, rolls great on hard pack, grips best on dirt but does supprisingly well in rocks and dusty conditions.

heavy! this thing is like dirtbike tire, but my bike weighs 50lbs, who cares. really hard to get on but its a 4ply so thats expected

great tire, this has changed how i ride, now i dont need to slow down into the corners anywhere near as much, this thing holds on. if they had a back tire version of this tire at the store i would have bought it.

Similar Products Used: maxxic high roller, minion
Tom   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2007]
Strength:

Traction (acceleration/deceleration/cornering) and sidewall strength

doesn't roll very quickly with low pressure, of course weight(but I used light tubes to offset the tire weight) and when used as a rear tire it throws mud in your shoes when the brakes are applied

2.5 rear tire is amazing. I run 18-20psi and it doesn't pinch flat light-weight tubes. I am not a very fast rider, but the rear tire hasn't washed out on turns.
The front is a different story. I used a 2.7 fro-casing and holy crap that thing is heavy. I just don't have the upper body strength to turn the front wheel quickly at speed. When I could turn the traction was excellent.
Would have to say this is the best tire I have ever owned