Hutchinson Top Slick Tire

Hutchinson Top Slick Tire

The HutchinsonTop SlickTire is constructed of 127Tpi casing and its roadTread is smooth inThe center withTexture on sidesTo help provide maximumTraction as you enterTurns. Air Light: Layers ofThe casing have been lightened with a less dense mix of rubber 127Tpi casing RoadTread is smooth inThe center withTexture on sides ISO Diameter: 622 ISO Width: 32 mmTireType: ClincherTire Diameter: 700cTire Use: Road

[Apr 13, 2010]
Capitan Slow

Strength:

Low rolling resistance

No grip in any surface but good tarmac
Pinch flats (often with less than 50-60psi)

Nice tire for cycleways (with very good tarmac), painfull ride (no grip, pinch flats...) in other circunstances.
No (IMHO) for commuting.

[Jul 12, 2003]
Mark Ainsworth

Strength:

Smooth, fast, low profile, light

splits appear after less than 4months use

Disappointed.. switching to specialized. Expect better on a bike of this standard

[Aug 22, 2003]
John

Strength:

Low rolling resistance

Extremely prone to flats

In exchange for the $20 I saved on this pair of tires over the sturdy, long-wearing kevlar-beaded Continental Grand Prix, they have cost me the same amount in punctured tubes that I have had to replace. That's just in the first few months -- over the life of the tire it will probably cost me considerably more, not to mention the nuisance of having to change tubes on my way to work.

I have had more flats in the first few months of using these tires than I had in six years of using the Grand Prix. The lower price provides a false economy.

Continental Grand Prix

[Aug 21, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

Rolling resistance, light

Wears quickly, price (AU$49.00 - wire bead)

I've used the wire bead 1.2's for the past 6 months and although the rolling resistance is good and they are light, the wear is disappointing. I commute to work 4-5 days a week (25km each way) and after the first month of use, I found numerous nicks and cuts in the tread. I've also recently found a hole in the tread large enough for the tyre-liner to be visible. The price was a little steep compared to the wear of the tyre.
I wouldn't recommend this tyre for heavy road use, ie. commuting everyday, but if you needed a tyre for occasional use instead of using knobbies, then they might work for you.

Specialized Fat Boy

[Jun 12, 2003]
Mark Schnittman

Strength:

Nice yellow trim. Good traction. Light weight.

The tires get ripped to shreads on fairly well paved roads almost immediately. Any piece of glass will go straight through and many "road pebbles" will do the same. I average a flat every 100 miles with these tires.

As a former reviewer noted, it is a crime that Hutchinson sells these tires, no matter what the price. They are complete junk. You'll spend more money buying new inner tubes than you would if you just bought a good set of tires.

IRC Metro 26X2.0 Kevlar slicks. I don't think I had a single flat with these tires. Will try the Specialized Turbo Pros 26X1.0 next.

[Jun 10, 2003]
Tuomo Kuivamaki

Strength:

Fast on Asphalt

suffers from pinch flats

These came with the bike. Seem to wear easiy, and gravel shreds 'em. Still - very fast but far from ideal city tyre.

Various City tires

[Sep 12, 2007]
Neil

Strength:

(TopSlick Gold 26x1.0 Version) Amazingly good looking, matches the livery on my Cannondale Martyn Ashton Rep perfectly. Folding verson can be removed and fitted with bare hands. Very very fast in the dry, and feel incredibly light in the corners.
Positive, confident braking in the dry...

...which turns into the scariest ride of your life when it begins to rain.
I didn't know you could 'drift' a bicycle until i bought these tyres.
Hitting the HS33s hard in the wet scares the hell outta ya, and as for cornering it's just plain dicey! Oh, and the weekly flat is a PITA to deal with. Gets expensive.

Soooo achingly cool, i feel i owe it to my bike to run them (it has a Hutchinson logo as part of the original paintwork) but FFS they flat too easily!
Very light too, even the Contis felt heavier in cornering.
It rains so much in winter here, and i value my life - Specialized All-Conditions Pro have them licked by a very long way.
If you're gonna get 'em, get the folding version. Even lighter.
And reserve them for summer and new tarmac!

Continental Ultra Gators, Specialized All-Conditions/Turbo Pro 26x1.0

[May 23, 2003]
Belgian Bob

Strength:

Light, faster than a speeding bullet, give maximum power transmission ( I can actually see the bike pick up pace with every pedal stroke, lust like my old TT machine), reasonable traction, even in the rain.

Too early to tell for certain, but I imagine that they won't be bomb-proof like my Hutchinson Alligator/ Specialised 'gloop' tube combination. But what else would you expect? They're road tyres, for performance, not durability. Which means you need to ride your bike like a roadie, not a freestyle/hucker/downhill machine! Duh! Have not found any defects in them so far, and I inspected them v. carefully before and after installation. Hutchinson quality control, despite what some reviewers have said, is actually very good. That's why I use their tyres, and have done for years! However, I imagine they'll puncture easily and get shredded if I lock up my wheels and skid. Time will tell...

If you fancy extra speed while riding on the hard stuff, but still want comfort, durability, off road behaviour and insane wet weather grip, these are not for you. If you want to ride like a roadie, and that means AVOIDING broken glass, potholes and wheelie-ing off kerbs, and accept that speed and cornering have their price, then these could well be it. I remember what it feels like to ride road time-trials, and this comes close in terms of feel and performance. I keep the older wheels with Alligators on them for playbiking and longer xc hacks, these are just for getting me to work 10 minutes quicker, and the deliver!

IRC Notos, metro (slow and dull ride, heavy and prone to punctures), Vredestein S-Lick (fast and sticky, but with a SLIGHT edge in the wet), Many off road tyres.

[Jul 24, 2007]
Eric Henrickson

Strength:

High Pressure Urban slick. Excellent handling on pavement. Ultra low rolling resistance. All good traits for a commuter tire.

Pinch flat after pinch flat after pinch flat after pinch flat. I have a soft, thick kevlar strip in the tire to prevent punctures, and I've not had any puncture flats. Did I mention that they are prone to pinch flats?

I love the speed and the handling, but having to deal with flat tires on the way to work several times a week gets old. I maintain my tire pressures at the maximum end of the range, which is apparently not sufficient for preventing pinch flats.

There are very few good commuter tires available. Most run at low pressures equalling high rolling resistance, or are low volume. Unless you can commute on perfectly smooth pavement, a higher volume tire is necessary.

If these came in a 1.75" or 2.00" they would be unbeatable.

IRC, Kenda, Schwalbe slicks

[Jan 22, 2004]
Alex

Strength:

Light, fast, nimble, good grip and nice ride.

With just a few hundred miles on them, none yet.

I got these on sale at Nashbar and liked them so much I immediately ordered a second set. Mine are the gold series, whatever the differences may be. I use them on the road and on the extensive canal system in Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix (some of it paved, some of it hard packed dirt). So far they have been a delight on both. I have had no flats in several hundred miles and the wear is, to me, quite acceptable for the experience they provide. If you ride similar terrain and are not looking for maximum milage in a tire, the (the gold version at least) is a very sweet tire.

various