Hutchinson Spider Air Light Tire

Hutchinson Spider Air Light Tire

[Sep 22, 2009]
BaggiesOnly

Strength:

Light weight! Corner good. Soft tire that can run at low pressure well, so traction is "sticky". Oh, and they are LIGHT Weight!

Thin walls. Worn out fast

These tires were good overall. If you like big fat tires that roll pretty fast, these work well. Don't expect the tread to last long as they are very soft. Having said that, they cling to rocks and roots like a fat guy to a box of donuts. They shed mud well because there are big spaces between nobs. (They also seemed to get puncturesd easily due to the big spaces between nobs.) Overall, I would probably use these again if the price was right. Not a spectacular tire but they corner and climb well in most conditions.Not for anything but off road riding. ( Your driveway will tear these up!)

Bontrager Jones axc Panaracer Fire XC Pro

[Aug 01, 2008]
schnellebig

Strength:

This is the tubeless version of the spider. First of all, they were relatively light and lasted for a while. I rode them all year in all weather. They were excellent on hard pack to soft conditions. Mud cleared well due to their wide spaced lugs. Minimal rolling resistance. I ran stan's and never had a flat. I had 14 holes poked in my rear tire before it gave up the ghost. (not sure if that is due to the tire or due to stan's) Over all they were good tires.

Like all tires, you need to know your bike and how it is tuned. These tires tended to break loose if I ran them over 35 PSI regardless of the trail conditions, so if you don't like to run your tires a little soft, avoid these. they were VERY unpredictable on wet roots or rocks, and tended to wash out on wet hard-pack. The soft compound was very susceptable to broked glass or thorns on trail.

Over all they were good tires. They seemed to perform real well in the sandier environments and less well on hard and wet trails. But heck, if you get a good price, you won't be disappointed cause there are not any "perfect" tires for all situations, and stopping to change tires for different conditions on the trail is impractical. I ride a lot at my home trails (outlaw trestles trail in Joplin) I like to have several different sets of tires for different trails and then set my bike up for the trail I plan to ride next. If you are like me, you will be pleased.

Pythons, Serac, now switched to Fire XC Pro tubless

[Sep 03, 2007]
James

Strength:

superlight weight for 2.3, rolls like fat guys down a hill (good)

cornering, sidewalls, climbing grip

i have taken these off my duallie for some time now and have used other tyres as a comparison.
these are light, fat, and roll really well. these would be an excellent 24hr race tyre.
But they don't hook up when you put the power on.
The grip is on par but no exceptional.

the one thing with both the hutchinsons i've ridden with is that even with a duallie and running about 40psi, i keep on pinch flatting, i thought at first, this was me and not choosing the right lines but for the last year and a bit i haven't snake bitten my maxxis's at all!!

I am a big fella so these tyres i thought just didn't cut the cheese for me.

For a 24hr race or cross country riding without too many sharp rocks, these i reckon would be awesome but for the price and what else is out there, i wouldn't get them.

personally i thought the knobs looked alright but very minimal. you gain the advantage of weight and rolling resistance and decent comfy ride but you lose out on grip and price.

hutch. scorpions, max. hansventures, max. high rollers, spec. enduro pro

[Aug 06, 2007]
haggis

Strength:

Ex grip in loose wet soil or muddy conditions. Good wearing. Superb front tyre.

None really. (Can't have great mud performance and super fast rolling).

XC race in a pine forest recently during a thunderstorm with plenty of rain. Mate was wearing new Conti Explorer front and Crossmark back and he couldn't ride the same off-camber lines or brake as late even though he's a better tech rider. He was really impressed with my setup. Nuff said.

Heaps

[Jun 27, 2007]
Robert Banner

Strength:

Very light weight for a 2.3, low rolling resistance, Ok cornering grip.

Very soft sidewall and thin carcass...yeah, I know, that's how they get them so light! Poor braking and climbing traction.

I tried these tires on the rear to replace the heavy and slow rolling Neve's. They are definitely lighter and roll a bunch better, but right away I noticed the braking traction was very poor. As time went by, I also noticed that the climbing traction wasn't near as good as the Neve's or some of the other tires that I've tried. At one point while I was riding the TRT in Tahoe, I got fed up with the crappy braking and less than stellar climbing ability, so I decided to try something else when I returned home. Well, a few days later while riding Paige meadows I heard a hissing and a clunking coming from the rear tire...sure enough, it was a puncture...but it was a 1/4in diameter stick protruding from the tire. Well, that goes to show how thin the carcass is on this tire. It would make a pretty decent racing tire...if you need a 2.3 for racing...but as a trail tire I'd have to give it two thumbs down.

Neve's, Pany's, Ritcheys.

[Jun 12, 2007]
ernest

Strength:

High cornering grip, low rolling resistance, good volume for a trail tire (I have the 2.3 size)

Less braking traction in the rear than Nevegal, not much warning before losing cornering grip

Very good all-round tire for most trails, but I think I'll put my Nevs back on for trips to the mountains to get the extra braking grip, and probably to ride through the winter -- so far i think the Stick-E Nevs have a little overall grip advantage, but they are s o s l o w rolling I was looking for a summer tire with good grip but less rolling resistance. These fit the bill.

Mythos II XC, various specializeds, Nevegals, Motoraptors

[Sep 28, 2006]
Ryan

Strength:

Traction

Size

These tires are marked 2.00. The are huge though. I don't like the sizing inconsistancies in MTB tires. Not just between brands. My hutch. mosquito 2.00s were notably smaller than these balloons.

I ride an NRS. I ride and race cross country.

I tried this tire on the rear only. It provided excellent traction. Braking was good, and climbing on mud and gravel was great.

What i don't like though, is that it is just too slow. It is a big tire, that is great for trail riding. It is not a bad roller for it's actual size, but it is a mighty big 2.00. I won't rate it poorly, because it is a good tire. I will use it for trail riding, but it is not appropriate for racing XC imo, due to its high volume.

Hutchinson mosquito, kenda bearclaw, other cheap kendas.

[Sep 19, 2006]
Scott

Strength:

Big volume
Middle of the road weight
Roll very well for big fat 'uns.

Not really happy in the marbles.
Don't have a definite edge to them - feel a bit like they want to let go early in corners
Very rapid wear
Thin sidewalls roll at low pressures - feel vague.

I wanted big volume rubber that was respectably light for my XC hardtail, and liked the look of these. Te big volume of the 2.0's is a plus (actually 2.2)

I didn't expect them to roll well - they are fat and soft and I run them as low as I can generally. These would be the best rolling big knobbies I've used.

They feel squirrely in gravelly stuff, and the lack of a definite square edge makes them feel unsure in loose corners - but they seem to corner OK nevertheless.

The sidewalls are thin (I guess they had to strip weight off somewhere - these 2.0's are more like 2.2)and if you run them soft they roll on the rim and feel unsure on corners. The tread compound is very soft, showing wear after only a few rides. I think I'll be lucky to get 6 months from the set.

Despite the size I've had better climbing tyres - break loose ealier than I would expect for a big, soft compound tyre.

The tread direction arrows are a puzzle. They indicate for the rear to run with the tread pointing forwards (for faster rolling I assume) but for front use the tread points back at the rider (the opposite of most other tyres). I have tried the front both ways, settling on running it with the trad pointing forwards. Bugger all difference really.

Don't buy these if you are riding a lot of jagged rocky stuff - the sidewalls are soft and thin. The tread is very soft and they wear real fast. They do roll very well for big rubber.

A harder tread compound and a little harder sidewall and they would be much better. Work well on loose over hardpack, at intermediate pressures, where they can also help soak up a few bumps if run on a hardtail.

Various Tioga, Panaracer, etc etc.

[Oct 27, 2006]
rusty trombone

Strength:

excellent in mud ,leaves, and rocks

not good on hardpack

these tires rock! forget the other reviews. great for northeast trails.no handling problems whatsoever. been riding wet, slick, leafy, rocky,rooty, muddy,and dry and love them more each time. sidewalls do feel soft but no flats yet? these are an all around tire and if you ride in the northeast, you'll love em.

larsens, ritcheys, scorpions, velociraptors,

[Aug 25, 2005]
Steve

Strength:

Light, roll fast, above-average in mud

Wear out VERY quickly

Removed these for the first year, as I alternated between the Ritchey's and Panaracers. Installed them in the spring, and noted a very rapid wear rate. Rotated front/rear, but eventually gave up after only 1200 km's. The Ritchey's last 2200 and the Panaracers 2400.

I don't expect lightweight tires to last too long, but these were disappointing. Would not use again.

Ritchey Speedmax