Hutchinson Mosquito Air Lite Tire

Hutchinson Mosquito Air Lite Tire

super light tire for superior efficiency.It's casing and weight favor quick climbs and aggressive bursts of speed.

[Dec 02, 2011]
mblangbehn

Strength:

Great traction, sticky soft compound, clears the worst mud (including clay) with no problem, sticks to wet roots and rocks well, fast rolling

sticky soft compound may wear fast

I use this tire as my front only. I live in South Western Washington State where conditions are complete slop from about the end of September until mid to late June so finding the right tires can be a nightmare. My friend had this Mosquito Air Light 2.3 laying around so I took it off his hands wanting to try a 2.3 anyway. I was using WTB Velociraptors which worked good in about everything except wet clay and the really sloppy mud in which the front would try and wash out closely followed by the rear, so pretty much no latteral traction to speak of in those conditions which is normally more than half of my ride. Changing to the 2.3 Mosquito Air Light has taken away almost all of that, obviously nothing is going to be perfect in the goopiest of conditions but this thing is close. The front tire tracking better has even resulted in the rear tire doing better, but I've recently changed to a 2.3 WTB Exiewolf in the rear which so far has made it even better (I'll review it after a few more rides). The other really nice thing about this tire is that it hangs onto wet roots and rocks with little or no slipping and dang it rolls fast.

Panaracer Fire XC, Dart, smoke, WTB Alligator, WTB Velociraptor

[Sep 25, 2008]
Barkleyfan

Strength:

traction, weight, rolling resistance

wear

Man these things stick. I weigh 235, run them at 35psi with Slime tubes. Never a pinch flat, in fact, never had a flat at all with them. Technique I guess. I've run them from Big Bear, to Bakersfield, Flagstaff and Sedona, to Sugarbottom Iowa and Kettle Moraine Wisconsin. I've squeezed 5 years out of these tires, and I finally have a semi-slick on the rear, but it still grips hardpack like mad. Pavement is not their friend, and you can watch them disappear on the road. My semi-slick Mosquito still outclimbs the new Mythos XC on my Trek on the same trails. With good tread, they grip everything but the greasiest mud, and a slide is predictable and easy to control, something that drove me away from the Panaracer Smoke, which is real grabby in a slide.

I give them 4 for value because of the wear, but 5 for overall, because I've never found anything else that works as well at both ends of the bike.

smoke/dart, Z-Max, Psycho K/TT, velociraptor, wierwolf, Mythos XC, and a few others

[Aug 06, 2008]
Hoba

Strength:

Great on mud or snow.
Extremely light

Wears out extremely fast
Punctures after almost every ride.

They came stock on my Mongoose bike, once they were new, their performance was excellent on mud or snow. I could ride up a steep snowy hill with no problems, where others could barely walk. Mud or offroad also good. BUT this applies only when the tire is new. You can almost watch how it worns out during the ride, and after ~1500 km they became virtualy worthless slicks. I also had punctures almost after every ride. When you use them where they are expected to be used, they perform good. But they are a bit overpriced according to their low durability.

[Jul 15, 2008]
bennyjekyll700
Downhiller

Strength:

they corner pretty well and have good climbing traction.
they role well also

they pop easlily and man there thin. Oh did i mention they wear VERY fast

OK tire, good traction i would'nt buy them but there ok

if you have them on your bike, wait untill they wear out and get better ones

some japanese brand i dont remember what they were

[Jul 30, 2007]
Lowell

Strength:

Super light, corners pretty well in the front, haven't had any pinch flat issues (again for the front) Presumably rolls fast, though I couldn't tell the difference.

Wears super fast.

I originally bought a pair of the mosquito air lite's but had to replace the rear after about a week because it wore rediculously fast. The front has been on for a year and it has generally not let me down. No pinch flat issues, grip seems fine, and I feel like my bike's pretty quick, though that is a combination of everything else as well as the tires. Overall, they're not great for general trail riding, but for xc racing they're pretty good. Oh yeah, they're REDICULOUSLY light. High value rating cause I got them dirt cheap on eBay.

Michelin wildgripper, Michelin country trail. Michelin tires are generally pretty good.

[Feb 19, 2006]
jeff smith

Strength:

light and fast

i have to stick up for hutchinson here. this is a LIGHT WEIGHT cross country tire! not a free-ride huckin stair jumpin urban assault tire. use the products in the manner in which they are inteded and you will achieve the intended results. hutchinson makes awesome tires if you suit your riding style to the appropriate tire. you cannot ride these at 20psi on the freakin pavement. i'm 6'1" and weigh around 190lbs and i run several hutchinson airlight tires on a hardtail on some pretty varied terrain. with 38psi and specialized turbo tubes i get incredible traction and very very few if any punctures and no pinch flats. don't diss a tire because you can't pick a line and you require a 900 gram downhill tire to ride down the street. damn!

many

[Nov 25, 2007]
Keith

Strength:

Good tires

You have to run them at high pressure

You have to ride these tires at high pressure I ride mine at 80 psi you bounce but they ae fast and you don't notice the roots if you skim over the tops of them. Try riding fast down stairs. Of course you are going to get a pinch flat running a fast aggressive because it's fast tire at low pressure. I recently switched to XC fire pro and they suck ass they are so much slower it's painful to think about my old mosquitoes and how they would bounce gracefully from line to line. the XC pros have better traction but I'm not sure if that's because they are that great or because I can't get going nearly as fast without mashing the pedals.

[Jan 30, 2004]
Phil Frary

Strength:

Light and goooooood traction in most conditions. Low rolling resistance. Much superior to Bontrager Jones AC that came as stock on bike.

Sometimes the 2.0 feels a little too narrow in deep mud.

If you're looking for good all round tyres these are for you. The low weight, rolling resistance and good traction are certainly good.
Tread pattern clears mud FAST but 2.0" may feel inadequate sometimes.

Bontrager Jones AC

[Mar 24, 2004]
mike b

Strength:

light weight, fast tires, holds lot of air volume

wears easily

good all around tire but doesn't excel in anything, better suited for the front. The longetivity is not really a factor the faster it wears out the stickier it is, that's my belief on tires. Buy these and put them on the front they're fast and up to the job! For even wear rotate the front andthe back from time to time. Would try a more specific tires when these wear out and as the looks of it maybein two weeks time

fire xc

[May 20, 2006]
colin

Strength:

Lightweight, low rolling resistance

Durability, not for aggressive singletrack or rockgardens

These came with my first mountain bike(mongoose LTD hardtail). It was summer when i was using them and many flats due to thorns and rocky singletrack made me purchase the IRC's(my riding partner and brother-in -law also had the same problem with his)Put them on my Jamis after doing a firetrail race with the IRC's which is not far from my house to see the differance. I am not a shaved leg lycra wearing racer and only went in the race for fun, but even i could tell the differance. The first half of the race is mainly climbing and that is where these tyres came into there own.I was not changing into the lower gear that i did in the race and did not get off and push like i did (and others) on the steeper parts of the course. I didnt time myself but it sure felt as fast with less effort with these tyres on.
Bottom line. Use them for there intended purpose and recommended inflation rate. These are for use on dirtroads or smooth terrain. They are quick. If you use them around town they will wear out in no time and not have the grip as road tyres.
To remind me of this i left them on for a night ride on singletrack with a few rocks and it wasnt long before i was changing yet another tube.

IRC Trailbears 2.25 front IRC Kujo XC 2.25 back.Maxxis Minions