Hutchinson Cougar Enduro Tire

Cougar Enduro

Hutchinson Cougar Enduro. Tyres - MTB 26

schofell84   [Aug 23, 2013]
Strength:

This tire doesn't excel at much of anything. It is however, mediocre at a lot. Seated easily on for my ghetto tubeless set up the first attempt and has held air. They roll fast? Kinda?

The tire is listed as a 2.4, but is skinnier than my WTB 2.3's. These tires don't offer great traction on much of anything except groomed hardpack, and are mediocre on just about everything else. AWEFUL in any kind of wet condition. Do not even fathom trying to ride on wet rooty trails, even when tubeless. I just crashed in a splendid fashion on a 5 foot wooden drop because the front tire completely washed out underneath me, even though I had a pretty good line. It rained YESTERDAY and the wood was just damp, not wet. I might as well have dove heard first off of the drop, the tire gave me no signs of loosing traction. Thank god I decided to wear my full face today, because I went down so fast my face broke my fall. They are also kind of heavy for not being a tubeless tire. I got the tire on sale and I'm still upset with the value.

Do not buy this tire for anything other than very mild XC.

Jason   All Mountain Rider [Jul 19, 2013]
Strength:

The carcass is fairly durable, I haven't had any problems with the sidewall or the tire becoming "out of round" running them tubeless. They also seem to stay on the rim good

Too narrow; the tread did not hold up very well. The overall ride quality was not that great, especially when things get wet. Hard cornering I've noticed the knobs flexing over and then the tires wash out.

(sothern arizona/desert riding) I normally ride the Continental Baron 2.3 or Rubber Queen 2.4 so I guess that's what I'm basing my opinion off of. I would not get these tires again nor would I recommend them to anyone. My first ride on these was only 6 miles and the side lugs had already began to tear off (just like most Schwalbe tires do). The terrain is very rocky and the tires did not hook up that well when it was dry. And when things got wet during a rain I had trouble keeping the bike on the trail because I was sliding out everywhere. Even in the dirt, when it gets wet these tired do not stick to the ground. Hard cornering is very bad also. I get that floating feeling from the side lugs folding over for a couple of seconds is seems like then the tires are just gone. No hope of getting it back. It's like that cornering close call we all love, but as soon as it starts to go you know there's no hope of getting it back. I wish the tread was as good as the casing on this tire, then I think it would a great tire.

Similar Products Used: Continental Baron 2.3; Continental Baron 2.4 UST and Protection; Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced; Schwalbe Big Betty, Hans Dampf, and Fat Albert
Johnny RC   All Mountain Rider [Sep 01, 2012]
Strength:

Grips and corners well, Great braking, predictable, durable. For AM riding, the 2.4 climbs well, and feels stable bombing downhill.

Narrow profile, Somewhat harder rubber wants to slide out on angled climbs. High Priced.

My first Hutchinson tire. I bought the 2.4 for AM application, and it's not listed as Enduro or Airlight, so dunno what that's about. I originally planned to use this on the front, however, when I got the tire mounted, the profile of the 2.4 was more narrow than my WTB Bronson 2.3. However, it has performed very well as a back tire, and I mounted it in the FRONT orientation on the rear (arrows on the sidewall). It gripped better than the Bronson I used to have on the rear, tracks well, the braking was great, and it was really predictable when it would break loose. The only problem I had was that on some of the rocky climbs, if you didnt hit it straight on, the tire would sometimes slide out. After a couple months, the treads still look new though, so I expect this tire will last me a WHILE, which is good considering how much I paid for it.