Hutchinson Alligator Tire

Hutchinson Alligator Tire

Hutchinson Alligator (black)

[Oct 02, 2010]
Lugnutt20

Strength:

Great all around tire, they stick to hard surfaces and bite the hell out of loose surfaces.

Made to wear out.

Worth every penny and very light for an MTB tire. I am in the process of purchasing again as I stumbled across this site first in a google search.

Smoke and Dart tires.

[Dec 17, 2001]
George Triantos

Strength:

Excellent for muddy conditions.

Heavy and rolling resistance on pavement (I should be on the trail not road).

For the money ($24/pr) it's a killer deal. So far, so good.

Panaracer Duster II

[Feb 26, 2002]
Mike

Strength:

They shed baby!!!

None yet, maybe weight, but I'm not a weight freak.

These tires do better in the mud than anything I've been on. I took them out last weekend and it was extremely muddy (to the point where I got off the trail cause it just wasn't ridable). Anyway, these tires performed really well. I had all the traction I needed all the time and they never got caked up. Plus who can beat $12 each at jenson.

Velociraptors

[Sep 11, 2001]
Kris

Strength:

This tyre grips everything!

Poor quality. Knobs are tearing off!

Maybe I have a set of lemons, but these knobs are ripping off!!!! Yes I do some rock/root/downhill/north-shore riding so I can see some damage but I have 5 knobs in a row ready to fall off. I've had to replace them as the tube was peaking out through exposed threads. This is on the front but the back is starting to show same signs. These came with my Cannondale SuperV700sx so I'm suprised they don't last more than 3 months.

[Apr 15, 2003]
GlowBoy

Strength:

Fantastic mud grip and shedding. Very controllable behavior as a climbing tire. Grips wet roots and rocks as well as any tire I've used. Works decently in all conditions, including hardpack, loose sand, rocks, mud, you name it. This is my all-conditions tire, especially in back.

There are better choices for front tires in loose dry conditions (sand, gravel)

The 2.0 black Alligator is simply an incredible rear tire, and a pretty good front one. It's consistently rated as one of the best mud tires out there and for excellent reason. I ride in the Pacific NW, both west of the Cascades (think gooey forest glop or nasty clay) and east of the Cascades (think desert gumbo). This tire packs up less than others I've used (including the Survival ProTec) and has fantastic grip - both front and back - in any kind of mud or snow that is rideable. I run it as a rear tire year-round, and as a front tire in the wet winter months.

Best feature: when the rear loses traction while climbing, you can feel it gradually start to spin up and back off the power in time - contrast this with the Survival, which spins out abruptly and unpredictably, forcing you off the bike. It also rolls very well for such an aggressive tire and performs at least decently, and usually quite well, in ALL conditions. (Again, contrast this with the Survival, which though maybe a little grippier in mud, is very condition-specific, rolls poorly, and has poor traction on hardpack).

The only real weakness I've found (other than it's too heavy to be a true racing tire) is its performance as a front tire in loose dry conditions. I've had the front end wash out unpredictably in sand and loose gravel, causing crashes several times. No tire does really well in these conditions of course (except, interestingly, the Survival, which was intended for slop!)

Get the black model instead of the Gold, which costs more, weighs 100g more and may clash with your bike. I've used both versions extensively and do not believe there is any difference in performance. 5 chilies for value (especially for $17 at pricepoint), 5 overall

Alligator GOLD 2.0, Conti Survival 2.3 ProTection, Ritchey ZMax, Specialized Team/Dirt Control/Master, Geax Hook/Warp.

[Sep 03, 2001]
Charles Coker

Strength:

the best rear tire I have found for wet, muddy rocks

somewhat heavy

This is the best rear tire I have found when the trails get wet. Here that means mud covered rocks.

I run the 2.0 on the rear and while I know it's heavy, it doesn't really feel like it..

I run it on the rear with a Conti Survival Pro on the front
when it's nasty out and 99% of the Austin riders aren't riding, I can still go out and ride the most technical, offcamber, loose rocky trails around with this tire setup

I run front and rear at 35psi (I am 200) and no pinch flats

everything

[May 26, 2001]
mark

Strength:

average traction in wet and dry
predictable

they wear way too quickly
weak sidewalls

An okay tire.
Not worth the price.
They wear very quickly if you do any riding on road.

irc,tioga, etc...

[Apr 14, 2001]
bob

Strength:

nice wide tire good for mud and dirt wide nobs relitvly tough.

they wear a little quickly

these are great tires for mud and dirt and just allround riding try them

irc

[Nov 28, 2000]
Big Boy

Strength:

Traction in everthing
Reasonable weight
Sheds mud like a champ
Good pinch flat resist(SO FAR)

High roll resistance.

Grip like a Drowning Sailor to a Life Raft
Great having a tire you can really charge on without weighing a F@#ken ton.
Buy em, "they work".

Everything known to man.

[Apr 15, 2000]
John

Strength:

Great grip in the mud, which it sheds EXTREMELY well.

VERY heavy, and it falls apart

Like every one's said, this tire does very well in mud and gives you great feeling of confidence in cornering. But I have not put a tremendous amount of miles on them and they are falling apart on me. The wire beads are showing through the rubber and I've been getting A LOT of pinch-flats, no matter the amount of air pressure. I'm lucky enough to have a good dealer who's willing to trade them for new IRC tires. Hutchinson needs to work on their quality control! I know I'll never buy one in the future.

Michelin's whole line of tires, Same with Specialized