Hutchinson Alligator Gold Tire

Hutchinson Alligator (gold)

Lugnutt20   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2010]
Strength:

Great all around tire, time to buy more.

Built to wear out.

This is the best tire I have ever owned and the rubber compound resists dry-rot very well. I have owned them for 5 yrs now with approx 2k miles on them and still have decent tread left and am in process of purch again.

Similar Products Used: Dart and Smoke tires.
Jacques   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2003]
Strength:

Grip,grip and more grip, very sturdy tire

rolling resistance, weight if you care about it

Confidence inspiring tire.

No longer made by Hutchinson. The new spider is lighter nearly the same but ligther, better cornering and faster rolling. I don't know about the wear. Time will say.

Similar Products Used: many
Dan W   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2001]
Strength:

Incredible mud grip. Good tracking. BIG volume for great flotation and shock absorption. Decent weight and rolling restistance.

Sidewalls seem thin. Tricky to put on due to flexible bead, but this is my first experience with Kevlar-belted tires.

This is an awesome tire for wet Pacific NW conditions. Took it on a 12-mile ride in Forest Park yesterday (it's December) and threw it at the deepest, thickest, sloppiest mud covered with decayed leaves that you can imagine. Climbed all the way to the top of Firelane 3 and back down (except one short 30-yard pitch I just couldn't muscle up in my 24:30 low gear). Climbed stuff as steep as anything I've ever done, and in gooier conditions, and these never broke loose. They don't pack with mud AT ALL either. Tracked straight and clean through mudholes, 3" of decomposed leaves over sticky mud, and over one 6" log. Does not slip on wet branches like other tires, even at an angle. In tricky situations I never felt like I was losing control. Holds sidehills well. Confidence inspiring. Can't wait to try these babies in snow, especially after my experience with lousy IRC Blizzards (what good are studs if your tread pattern that doesn't grip in snow?). Also can't wait to take them to the desert in the spring and throw some rocks, sand and gumbo at them.

This thing is bigger than 2.0" advertised. Usually I can put on 2.3"s but these barely fit. I ride a rigid bike, and at 40 psi these are almost like suspension. Rocks and sticks up to a little over 1" are not even felt! Should also be more resistant to snakebites with the large air volume.

I've always run tires with lots of tread, so these aren't heavier or slower than anything else I've used ... I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about there. What are they running, slicks? Slicks are for the ROAD. If these are too slow, the casing says you can put 80 PSI (!!!) in them.

If you need a good tire for "extreme conditions" (mud, loamy soil, loose rocks, sticks, stones, broken bones) this is the one for you. Get 'em while they're still on sale at Jensonusa. If these are too fat get the 1.8s. You'd need some kind of mutant bike to run the 2.3s.

If you need a fast rolling tire for hardpack conditions maybe you're trail riding and not really mountain biking.

They'd be 5 habaneros for value even at the $30 regular price. 9.5 chilis for value at $12. Also 5 peppers overall.

Similar Products Used: Many different Specialized, IRC Blizzard, Continental Spike (no longer made - not the same as Panaracer Spike)
jack   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2001]
Strength:

So far everything, Superb northwest wet weather tire.Awsome tracking over wet leaves and roots, sheds mud quickly, very sure footed.

None so far, I'm 6,4 @215, so I'm hopeing the sidewall probles does not happen,like stated in prior reviews.

Great tire, would highly recomend to any one riding in our area, or any wet muddy conditions.I especially like the front control for wet root navigation,also noticed good handling in off camber slick areas.

Similar Products Used: wtb velosoraptors, panaracers (mud)
CHUCK COOK   [Feb 28, 2002]
Strength:

IT HOOKS UP GREAT WHEN IT'S WET.ON ROCKS,RUTS,LOGS.IT ALSO HOLDS GREAT ON HARD PACK.THIS IS THE ALL AROUND TIRE.

NONE AT ALL.

HUTCHINSON TIRES ARE THE BEST ON THE PLANET.I RUN THE MOSQUITO GOLD ON THE FRONT WHEN IT'S WET OR DRY.THEN I RUN THE PYTHON ON THE REAR WHEN IT IS VERY DRY OR ON HARD PACK.BUT THE ALLIGATOR IS THE BEST FOR WET AND SEMI-DRY COND.IT IS THE BEST TIRE WHEN YOU HAVE TO RACE IN THE MUD.IT SHEDS MUD VERY WELL.THE BOTTOM LINE IS.YOU NEED TO GO OUT AND GET YOU SOME OF THE GOLD GATOR.

I RATE THIS GATOR WITH 5 FLAMIN CHILI'S

Similar Products Used: PYTHON GOLD,MITCHLIN HOT-S
Sprocketeer   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2002]
Strength:

Cuts through, grips, and sheds anything. This is the only TRUE all-terrain tire I've ever tried. I've used two sets in two years without any problems at all.

Even if your bike is not a race worthy machine (and only 5% of all serious riders really need something like that), these tires will make a world of difference in how it performs. To criticize that they don't help you go faster is rediculous because I know of few other tires of this size which can be pumped up to 80psi.

I've ridden on paved flats at 55 kph on these tires and as far as I'm concerned there is no other mountain bike tire out there which can do the same. On my old tires I'd probably be chugging air at 35 kph. (If you're moving too slow it's probably because of the shocks.)

I've ridden these tires in and on everything from pavement to deep mud and even in the middle of typhoons (I actually like to ride in typhoons) with water up to the hubs. These tires don't slip--ever! If you're slipping on these tires, it's not the tires that are slipping, but the ground you're riding on.

Another thing: these tires are silicon based, which is why they shed absolutely anything and clean off so easy. When I come in from a ride, and look as if I've been rolling around in the dirt for hours, my tires still look like I bought them a week ago.

Once I was riding along when I heard a nasty sound coming from my wheels and stopped to check it out. A number of steel spikes had gone right through the tread of my tires and knocked against my frame, but didn't pierce through the actual tire itself. I was very impressed.

If you don't know much about tires, and don't know what kind to buy for the type of riding you do, or you do all kinds of riding, get these because they'll preform outstandingly anywhere you want to go.

Flaming chilis galore!

Similar Products Used: These are my first kevlar/silicon based tires--and the first that can be pumped up to 80psi--so I can't really say I've used anything like these.
Reaper   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2001]
Strength:

Grips like a mother.

Extreme traction. Don't expect these to be very fast tires.

I'm impressed. Tried to ride up a very steep hill, but lost traction. When I dismounted I found that I couldn't even stand on it. That was the only time that day I broke traction, despite the fact the trails were buried in pine straw. The other end of the spectrum from slicks.

Woodson   Downhiller [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

Good traction, good cornering.

Weight and rolling resistance.

I bought these tires months ago strictly to use in the mud. I never even put them on the bike until this week and now I'm sorry I waited so long. After four rides on them, I think they may be my favorite tires ever. Great traction for climbing, and really grippy in the corners. When the traction starts to give out in a fast turn they give you plenty of warning, too.

And they do perform well in the mud. With the wide spaces between knobs, they don't pack up with mud the way a lot of tires do. They seem to do pretty well on wet rocks and roots, too. I think these are tires. (I haven't been using them long enough to address the durability issues that some other reviewers noted.)

Similar Products Used: Lots.
mike eckley   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

looks,durability,construction,price

should have more sidewall colors choice options, Hutchison would most likely sell alot more of these tires.

I don't understand the weight thing, I didn't put a gram count on them but on my Mavic 517's these baby's feel light!
Over the last month we've had rain soaked roots,rocks,mud, also 90plus dry heat hardpack, they have performed flawlessly thru everything, twice this weekend I got onto a slow wet root technical situation, they spun half a crank rotation, then the knobs hooked in and I kept climbing w/o looking back. Awesome feeling. shed mud quickly. brake on loose shale well. great all around tire. look damn good on my yellow stumpjumper also