Geax Hubi Tire

Hubi

• Created for `97/98 World Cup Cross Country Champion Hubert Pallhuber, it's a race tire that is unbeatable for medium and hardpack trails.
  • Talon edging blocks house a new "Barb Block" that is small, very light and very efficient at maintaining directional control in straight line running.
  • 400 T.P.I. protective belt restores flat protection, which is diminished with other racing slicks.
  • Available in tubeless rigid bead version
    Folding 26 x 1.60 430g
    Folding 26 x 1.85 450g
    Folding 26 x 2.00 480g
    Tubeless 26 x 2.00 730g

• User Reviews (17)

Michael   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2007]
    Strength:

Very fast but still strong.

Wears rather quickly.

I wish they still made these tires. I have ridden these things down stairs on several occasions. With these tires, I just point the front where I want to go and don't worry about it. In a year, not one flat (I'll probably get one tomorrow now...). I was so happy with these, now I am trying to figure out what to replace them with.

Similar Products Used: Only the Velociraptors that came with the bike.
    Gordo   [Sep 13, 2005]
    Strength:

Highly predictable grip on pavement - can confidently lean the bike way over on even the crappiet pavement and they stop on a dime.

Me - over 40, expanding waist line, two kids and living in Manhattan!

As long as its not pooring rain, I ride my bike to work most everyday. I have ridden several different types of slicks and they are typically just that - slick, with poor grip. For tough city riding (believe me, most fire roads are iin better condition than Manhattan's streets), these tires are it. I am going to purchase several more to keep as back-up.

Similar Products Used: Generic slicks and knobbies
    RoadRider101   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2006]
    Strength:

Fast and light tyre.

Prone to punctures, tread wears very quickly...

Fast tyre but much more trouble than its worth..

Go Flat, Go bald, Go Geax... Go Hubi

Similar Products Used: These are tyres that came with bike, have tried to put up with them but they have demoralised me with punctures, looking around for other brands maybe contis?
    Robby   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2006]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance-fast

Low volume, Low pressure tire... more pinch flats than I care to mention.

If you are looking for a slick/semi slick tire for hard pack or pavement this tire may work for you. For me, this tire was more trouble than it was worth.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer, Hutchinson, WTB
    spaceman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2001]
    Strength:

Great racing tire when new, ultra fast

wears out SUPER fast

I felt I needed to post a review on this tire because it is both so good and so bad. The reason that it is bad is that it wears down super fast. iT only made it about 6 races before going completely bald. that is weak, I only use it race day. The good part is that it is super fast, super light and has good good traction in everything except loose stuff, even did good in moderate mud. Now I guess I'll use it if I have to ride on the road. So weak. Basically If I was pro and could get a new rear tire every race then I would race this tire.

Similar Products Used: WTB racing raptor
    John   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2001]
    Strength:

Unbelievable grip, light, VERY low rolling resistence

None - within the tires designed use

This is the BEST X-country tire I've ever ridden. Emphasis on X-country. It is NOT a downhill tire. If people like "Rob" would do a little bit more in-depth search about the things they buy, they'd know what they are supposed to be used for, and NOT buy and X-country tire for downhill use. What a complete idiot! He's probably looking to buy a "Big-Wheel" as his next downhill rig. The ONLY time I've had ANY problems with grip while on these tires was in deep sand. But then, they are not designed for those conditions. But, even when I've been in some nasty mud bog, they've done nothing but shine. And when it's hardpack, I'm flying around the trails with all the confindence of a pro! I'm easily riding in 1 to 3 gears higher than what I'm normally pushing while on the XC Pro's. I can't wait for the dry season to show up here so that I can slap these babies back on. Buy these tires and you will not be sorry.

Similar Products Used: Pana. Fire XC Pro, Michelin Widegripper Lite, Cont. Pro
    Rob   Downhiller [Mar 21, 2001]

Everything

These tyres seriously suck, they are no good for anything. No one should even take a second look at these tyres.

Similar Products Used: Tioga, specialized, Nokian
    C-BALL   Racer [Nov 27, 2000]
    Strength:

fast, grippy, predictable.

ummmmm.... i give up

these tires almost feel as if they are self propelled. rolling resistance is nil. static traction is a lot greater than i expected, or have experienced with other ss's. sliding traction is completely predictable, controlable, and strong... it's a lot harder to get these to break free than other ss's! cornering control is great, even on loose ground, because of the side knob design. i laughed, i cried, it moved me.

Similar Products Used: multiple
    Jody   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2000]
    Strength:

Amazingly fast, light, grippy in lots of terrain

Pricey if you pay retail- don't.

I just got the rear today and went for a spin on my local loop. The loop starts with a geavel road and I was immediately impressed with how fast this tire rolls. When I hit the singletrack, I was kinda skeptical because they don't look like they would grip all that well. Heading up the first climb, with lots of roots and rocks, the rear never lost traction. On the downhills, they braked (broke?) well and predictably. Carving turns was nice and grippy. Even the slippery, slimy creek crossings weren't a problem for the Hubi. I should mention that I got the 2.0 version of this tire, but I am sure the 1.8 is even quicker. All in all it's a great tire for fast cruising on dry trails. We will wait and see if things are as rosy in the wet.

Similar Products Used: Many many tires, but Geax are fantastic (Hook, Blade, Warp- all good)
    Bad A** Single Speeder   Cross Country Rider [Apr 15, 2000]
    Strength:

Light (487 grams exactly, both front and rear)
    Good traction
    Good looks (love that teal green sidewall on my red hardtail!!!)
    Hardly wears
    Easy to put on rim (Mavic 221's)
    FAST, FAST, FAST

No directional signs on sidewall. Called customer service and they said for hardpack run the tiny dashes in middle of tread pointing in tire rotation. On loose stuff run them the other way. Experiment to see what works best for you.

These tires fly! Excellent traction on all types of terrain. Rode them for my first mtb race (The Sizzler, San Jose, CA). It is mostly fire road. Going downhill I did slide a few times but was able to control the slide (I was going about 15-20 mph in pea gravel turns). It slipped some going through a couple mud patches but a knobby would probably slip too. They have excellent traction on smooth single track as well as rocky sections. Was able to power up hills with no rear wheel slippage. Thought for sure I would flat on the cow-hoof pocketed section but they held up fine. Would recommend them to anyone who wants to drop several hundred grams. Get them cheap at CBO for $35 each. RIDE HUBI!!!