Geax Hubi 160 Tire

Geax Hubi 160

Mike   Racer [Aug 22, 2007]
Strength:

Great for hardpack conditions... corner like your on rails.
Not to heavy, not to light and thin

Strange looking? (does that matter?)

If you can find'em buy'em

Similar Products Used: To many to list
Art   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

Light,responsive,great grip on road or hardpack,and they roll as easy as ball bearings!

Don't ride 'em in mud or soft earth,they're not made for it.

The Hubi 160's rule on hard ground. Period. They have the same teardrop C tread design on the edges, with a small nib protruding from the center of the C, as the Geax Reverts have. However, unlike the Reverts, the Hubi's have a short mini-Blade-like pattern down the middle. This gives them much better bite when you're turning on pavement (or stopping) on that which has some sand or gravel sprinkled over it. Believe me, I feel much more confident pulling road racer type turns with Hubi's than with the Dirt Baldy's and Sprints. I no longer have to watch my ride going sideways on the pedals and bar-ends, while I'm busy sliding in the other direction on my palms and ass! ! Also, the Hubi's are quiet. They don't make the loud sawing/buzzing noise that all of the others do; and they are noticeably lighter.The Geax's also feel more connected to the ground because of their casing design. I run mine at 69 p.s.i. R/64 p.s.i. F(or close to that), and they feel like 10-15 p.s.i. softer. When I ran the Sprints, Baldys and DF's hard like this, they lost grip and kicked my ass. Run 'em 40-50 lbs. and they grip like hell. I suppose some people would want the fatter 185 Hubi, which is cool because it won't cut into soft stuff as much as the 160. But what's the point in that if you want a light, quick handling road/hardpack tire for your MTB? When I'm ready to get down in the dirt & slop, I put on my Blade/Sedona combo or the Beaumonts. The Geax Hubi is the new King Of The Mountain in semi-slicks. Muchos chilis!

Similar Products Used: Michelin Sprints,Specialized Dirt Baldys,Continental Double Fighters.
Tim   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 1999]
Strength:

Roll and corner GREAT, look cool

I can't say enough about these tires. They roll like ball bearings and have outstanding cornering ability for a hardpack tire. The tread design is ingenious and it really works.

Archie Brown   Racer [Jul 11, 2005]
Strength:

Easy on, easy off, grippy and fast. Cheap! (I love eBay sometimes)

Look funny (not that it means anything) - probably not as puncture resistant as some kevlar weave versions out there.

I had been looking for a good all weather tyre to allow me to hammer in to and from work on the daily commute - with some good cornering without sacrificing low rolling resistance. My trip is 80% tarmac the other surfaces being wood, hardpack and some sand/cobblestones. Ive put them through some pretty kinky weather and Im pretty happy with the outcome so far. Awesome wet tarmac cornering - even with a fresh rain greasiness on the road. Fantastic. Im laying my commuter over like Valentino Rossi (at least it feels like it) around some pretty serious hairpins and off camber bends - and when I straighten up, there is very little to stop me firing up to attack speed.
While I could see myself throwing these onto my trail hardtail for some hardpack switchbacks, I would primarily recommend the Geax's for anyone who fears a front wheel washout on slimy concrete midway through a spirited commute.
While the last set of Geax's I bought left me thinking Geax were a bunch of monkeys, the Hubi 160s have proved to be great redeemers.

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Continental, other Geax's, just about every street slick around.
Max   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2000]
Strength:

VERY light. Extremely fast.
Good cornering.
Cool style

small distribution (?)
Poor braking on wet/damp ground.

Awesome tire! I commute 10 miles a day and ride on the week-end on hardpack. I now have Performance Lunarlight tubes in it and the accelaration is unbelievable.
The back tire is ready to be changed by now (6 month+).