Geax Hook Tire

Geax Hook Tire

• Rear-specific tread with tapered, medium-height blocks laid out in a chevron pattern for excellent climbing characteristics.
  • Multi-condition tire – good for varied terrain.
  • Excellent match for front-specific Warp.

Folding 26 x 2.00 630g
    Wire 26 x 2.00 655g

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 25, 2001]
    Jim

Strength:

Great traction, ride and feel.

I've been running the kevlar warp and hooks for a couple years now and they have to be one of the best tires I've riden. Great traction and handling. They handle all of the conditions that mountain riding offers. They climb over wet tree roots (as long you approach them correctly) and they take one hell of a beating on the rough & sharp rocks out here. Unlike another user, I've never ripped a sidewall and actually have never even flatted them. They've endured some really brutal and technical trails.

Zed's and other's

[Jan 06, 2000]
    Joe

Strength:

cheap for what u get
    handles well

None so far

Would have to agree with all the good reviews. You can't beat a $20.00 Kevlar Tire. The only thing I have noticed is that it doesn't get quite as good a' traction as the Cont. Leader Pro but the Cont. was more than double the price. If you're looking for a good all around tire this is it.

Panaracer - Smoke/Dart
    Continential -Leader Pro
    Marin / No-names

[May 27, 2000]
    Jamie

Strength:

Great in mud. Grabs on to anything. Clears mud well.

A little too much for dry conditions

Hook on the front and Blade on the rear is the perfect mud set up. All the traction you want.

[Jan 05, 2001]
    Matt Grothoff

Strength:

it is surprising me with the grip and mud/snow shedding, color

like i said below, not fit for any kind of downhill at all, unless the trail is made out of cotton. nice soft, un-sharp cotton.

update. i put this tire back on my bike because i had busted the wheel, and the geax was on a working wheel, so i just popped it on. i don't remember it to have this good of bit uphill and in sloppy conditions. but, unless you are carrying another tire with you on your ride, stay away from all downhills! to all those geax proponents, i DO realize that it is NOT a downhill specific tire, BUT, neither are the other tires i use, and they held up fine on the same hills. besides, you can't have a trial that climbs without going back down eventually! i don't consider myself a downhiller, but it is super fun, and i think everyone agrees. they are the places where we can push outselves and go mega-fast, so this tire should get a little more meat on the sides. unless Geax thinks that this is strictly for people who want to do climbing races. other than that, it works well, and i would recommend it CONDITIONALLY. fortunatly, the trails i am near 8 months out of the year are pretty tame, so i don't have to worry much.

see below

[Oct 28, 2000]
    Vince Pack

Strength:

looks strong enough...

Sidewalls??

I rode this tire less than a quarter mile before the sidewall blew out. Light downhill conditions, not going very fast, not very technical (pretty smooth) and next thing I know, psst! Fortunately, I got off the bike instead of getting up off the ground. When I looked at the rear tire, there was one tear in the sidewall about an inch long. There was another tear nearly a quarter inch in length. I was riding the tire at 50psi. The rubber coating on the sidewall is cut through to the fabric all the way around just above the wire (immediately above the rim's edge). My rims have no rough spots on the edges. Sure, there are much more expensive parts that can break, but walking out of an easy ride is a real downer. If the shop replaces the tire with the same, I'll buy a different one to replace it with. At least the Warp on the front survived! One burnt stiffy overall, three for value just in case it was an isolated incident. After all, it wasn't THAT expensive.

[Sep 30, 2000]
    Matt

Strength:

decent grip, interesting green color, got it for a decent price, i guess

well, i rode on the thing about five times maybe. got flats on 3 of those ride, and 2 on one ride. i found myself slowing myself downhill so i wouldn't flat the tire out with hard slams against the tire. that just isn't right. maybe i am just TOO GOOD FOR THE TIRE.

The tire had decent grip and could bite climbing alright, but the tire that i replaced it with, a Panaracer Smoke, (this is the rear wheel by the way) is much better in all respects. the Hook wasn't very meaty. I think that the thing that got me to replace it so quickly was that it was mentally keeping me from pushing myself to go faster downhill, for fear that i would get flat halfway down the hill, and have to sit my ass down and patch it, or f*ck it and walk my ass out. that isn't how it should be downhill. oh, there is also a surprisingly sizable slice in the sidewall as well. no more geax for Matt. Buy this tire i you aren't planning on breaking your own personal record down big hills. if you are slow, this might be a decent tire.

WTB Velociraptor (f&R), Bontrager jones (f&r), Panacer smoke (r), a pair of Kendas back in the day

[Aug 02, 2000]
    jeff

Strength:

lightweight, fast, and you can find this tire online for a good price

not confidence inspiring in loose conditions

This is a good, fast tire for hardpack conditions, but I found it to wash out in loose stuff. Overall, the Geac tires are really good, but if you are riding in DH conditions or on loose singletrack you should find another tire in their lineup.

lots

[Jul 08, 2000]
    Jeff

Strength:

lightweight, great performance in hardpack and mud

short tread life

I'd buy this tire again, it really works in a variety of conditions. The only complaint I have is that I only got about 350 miles out of it, other tires (bontrager Jones) performed in the same class and had much better tread life.

lots

[Jan 25, 2003]
    Mike

Strength:

Very aggressive tread design, excellent winter tire. Groovy
    green sidewalls.

None when used as intended.

Been using the Hook (rear) and Warp (front) set up on my winter mtb bike. At 28lbs air pressure front and rear they are unstoppable in the snow.

To many to list

[Jun 28, 2000]
    Tom M

Strength:

Good traction in soft, loose conditions
    Cheap for a kevlar bead tire

Bums me out on wet rocks (hard rubber compound?)

I really like this tire in soft, loose and muddy conditions but it spins out easier than any other tire I've used on wet rocks and roots. I've only been riding it for a month but I'm ready to go back to a 49/52 Jones because it's been a wet season here and I'm sick of fighting the Hook on wet rocks & roots. The Jones seems to be a softer rubber compound that sticks better but wears out pretty quickly.

This tire is fine for trail riding in most conditions, I'd give it an overall 5 if not for my wet weather gripe above.

WTB Velociraptors, Bonty Jones, Panaracer, Specialized