Geax Grido Tire

• Front or rear tire with tall "paddle" style blocks widely spaced for greater traction in muddy conditions.
  • Small clefts for increased working edges.
  • Designed to handle soft soil conditions, especially deep mud.

Folding 26 x 2.00 540g
    Wire 26 x 2.00 600g

• User Reviews (13)

ed   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2006]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance on the road
    Ok grip on the backtire in a straight line (you cant expect too much for the price)

Horribly bad grip in the corners, you cant build up confidence with them (especially the front tire).

Thes tires came with my 2nd hand bike. If i had knewn about their performance i would have asked for another set. I almost lost my back tire at high speed once on slippery mud and these are mud tires, enough said.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson scorpion, Mythos XC, Schwalbe black sharks SX
    Rod Baird   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 03, 2000]
    Strength:

Good all around tire, works wet or dry. Quite light. Predictable handling.

sticky & thawing mud

Brought this looking for light tire all around tire that would also hold its own in MUD. Well, they don't work on the sticky December mud around Pisgah National Forest here in North Carolina. They load up fast and don't shed worth a damn. OTOH - they are great on most other surfaces. They hook up well ( in loose mounting) in soft conditions. I've ridden some off camber wet rock traverses without any rear end squirm. When they lose traction, you aren't surprised. So far I haven't had any front end lock-up under heavy down hill braking pressure - a reassuring feature. They are very thin and flexible so I've had to keep tire pressures above 45psi to avoid pinch flats. At a price less than $20 on the internet, they seem a great deal for a sub 540 gm. kevlar bead tire.

Similar Products Used: Specialized (lots of variations), Ritchy Z Max, continental
    DJ   [Jun 24, 2001]

A correction to my review: These tires are not run on my crossmax wheelset....but rather Mavic x517 / XTR and DT Swiss.

DJ   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2001]
    Strength:

-Price
    _Weight
    _Traction
    _Strength

_Only available in 2.0

I couldn't get these things to break loose no matter how hard I tried, and I am a 200lb. very strong rider. What a GREAT tire, awesome value too. I do most of my riding in the Adirondak and Green mountain areas where you come across many different types of terrain, Grid's haven't let me down yet and I don't believe they ever will. I run them with the rear in the grip direction and the front in the hard direction. I have run the Warp/Hook combo in the past (also a very nice set-up) however the grid seems a little tackier and more precise in hard cornering. Buy em!

Similar Products Used: To many to list....have always been a big fan of Michelins though
    Chad Knisely   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 22, 1999]
    Strength:

Great quality, and light for such an awesome driver, superb traction in all conditions, and lets not forget the cool green sidewalls that just happen to match my frame color.

Not so good on roots but, find me a tire that is.

Remember, the key to great traction is small nobbies that will provide many working edges and they penatrate the surface better then a big fat nobby will. It is the edge that provides traction not a big flat surface so the more edges the better the traction. Knobby height is also important, too tall equals too slow. The Grid is the epitomy of the above concepts. A perfect balance, if you will, of knob spacing, height, and surface area. I have been running mine in the scoop position and have been very pleased at its ability to stay hooked up on so many terra types. I would highly recomend this tire to anybody. Geax tires really rip, I think they are the best there is, and am suprised more people don't use them.

Similar Products Used: IRC, Specialized, Tioga (Farmer John for you OLD SCHOOLERS), Matrix
    Rob   Cross-Country Rider [May 10, 1999]
    Strength:

-Great all around tire
    -light
    -durable so far (~4 weeks of use)
    -shed mud well

-none yet

Initially I was a bit apprehensive about the very low profile knobs, but these tires really are a great all-around tire. Not only that but they do and EXCELLENT job in each type of condition. The trails I usually ride have a wide range of conditions such as: moss, beach type sand, humus, loose rock, slick rock, and lots of rock faces. So far these tires do an excellent job in ALL of these conditions.

Similar Products Used: -Team Control/Master
    -Ritchey Omegabite
    -Kona Break and Enter
    -WTB Velociraptor
    Christiaan Vingerling   weekend warrior [May 04, 1998]

I like this tire very much, the grip is on every terrain super,Greatings (something to get 50 words on this page:rdu igfh irsg hvrt jktr vyneur rcri untvhb nvura ithvr htrgj hui n kl .k jkhjhj hvgytggb b luihuil hgfg i lubu yub uerrf ergrgrg rgfdfrehg ilnku niuhnio;hk,k, thanks for reading this, I know it's hard)

SGT. ROCK   Racer [Jul 28, 2005]
    Strength:

Fairly light
    Insanely inexpensive

Performance

I already have a set of great mud-specific tires - Geax Blades. But Nashbar had the Grid on blowout at $4.95 - a set of tires for less than $10.00! I bit.

The Blade is superior in mud. The Grid cleans very well, but the tread design doesn't grip nearly as tenaciously as the Blade. On the flip side, the Grid is a little better on hard surfaces than the Blade. Not a factor for me - I consider both a special purpose tire, so the Grid loses. High marks for value, but I can't see choosing this tire over the Blade under any conditions.

Similar Products Used: Geax Blade
    Charlie   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2002]
    Strength:

light (they really are 540 grams) shed mud, grip well in soft conditions (wet soil, mud, sand), roll without much buzz on roads (surprising given the 5mm paddles on the things), easy to mount, no pinch flats at 40 psi (I weight 175)

knobs are quite flexible and squirm on rocks or in hard conditions.

I would say that these are best tires I've had for soft conditions, especially given the low weight. I raced them at the Sea Otter last month and they performed very well. It had rained a lot the week before my race on Sunday and I thought things would be mucky in the single track sections. But the course was surprisingly dry this year. Nevertheless, the Grids gripped very well despite the tall knobs. Cornering was exceptional.

I don't use these most of the year because where I ride it's hardpack, gravel over hardpack and rocks most of the year. I usually ride Pythons or Bontrager ST2s because they seem to roll better.

If I rode the Grids all year round, I'd give them a four. But because I ride them only in the wet, and switch tires when it's dry, I feel the Grids are worth a five. Very solid performance. I grew up in NY and I would say that these tires would be great in soil that softer than hardpack.

Similar Products Used: almost everything
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2002]
    Strength:

Good tread pattern - possibly still useful in a mud-only situation ... this is a very fragile tire!

Serious Durability issues. Very prone to pinch flats

Whatever geax has changed with this tire in the past couple years, they have completely ruined it!

This is the stock tire that came on my Rocky Mountain bike that I bought a couple years ago. I thought the tires were incredible, and in fact the stock tires lasted me over two years with regular riding! When they finally were wearing thin, I made sure to order the same tires as replacements. At first the only difference I noticed on the new tires was the green sidewall. Apparently that is not all they changed, however. After only 2-3 weeks I have completely destroyed the new tires. Several lugs have already torn off, exposing fabric underneath. Also in the couple weeks that I had the new Grids on my bike I got a pinch flat almost every ride. I'm definitely not a heavy rider (140 lbs) and I don't ride anything that should be particularly abusive to tires. Geax used to have a great product, but whatever changes they have made recently, these tires are now pratically useless. I tried emailing geax to ask if I could have simply received defective tires, however they never bothered to reply!