Geax Blade 185 Tire

Geax Blade 185

SGT. ROCK   Racer [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Great mud performance
Cheap

Rolling resistance
Squirrely at high speed

If you want a tire that'll clean itself and provide traction in mud, this is the one. Couldn't pack the tread up enough to lose grip. However, cornering performance at speed on hard surfaces is not great, with the tire mounted for soft conditions. Tends to bite in unpredictably, causing the rear wheel to drift out unexpectedly. Rolling resistance is high enough that I wouldn't consider using this tire for anything but extreme mud conditions. Definitely a special purpose tire.

Philip Fontana   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

When riding through mud, it's like a paddleboat through water.

Wears fast - travels slow when on the pavement.

I like the tire for the mud and does a good job on technical singletrack. Darn slow on pavement. Not the best either on hardpack. Better suited obviously for deeper softer mud.

el ray   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2003]
Strength:

GRIP!!! (also light and folding) by the way, i had no troube installing them like the dude below me. plus the teal sidewalls are b!tchin'

well, they're not fast on hardpack but i prefer to MOUNTAIN bike which implies riding on terrain not resembling a city street...

these tires NEVER lose traction. they help me climb insane hills covered in wet leaves. they weigh less than wire bead tires and i got them super cheap. nuff said

Similar Products Used: WTB velociraptors
Pawel Szafruga   Racer [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

Grip
Weight, it's not great, but very exceptable

hmmmm.....that's a toughee

Whoa, these are great tires. I just raced them at a local race that had quite a bit of mud and they rocked. Very very good in the mud and sand. They roll well for a knobby, but compared to the Pythons they aren't that great, so once it dries up I'll go back to those. I got these at a great price, the owner of the store had a slightly used pair of these and I got them for 20buckerous. I should add that I'm running the 1.85 up front and the 2.00 on the back. Even though I usually like fatter tires up front, the 185 seems and looks wider.
I would recommend these tires to anyone riding in mud conditions. I don't know how they hold up but the 3 weeks haven't shown any wear. They aren't feather weight, but they work, really well.

Similar Products Used: Pythons, great for hardpack
Assorted Michelins and IRC's
Patrick Jordan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

Grip and great rolling resistance.

They say they wear quickly but I have not had them long enough to tell.

These things are like Velcro on the trail yet they roll like butter. This is just what I want from a tire able to clear technical sections yet still feel quick.

Similar Products Used: Velciraptors(great),Mobsters(good),Mutanoraptor,Zeds and Farmer Johns.
Rob Trautman   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2002]
Strength:

GRIP!!! light wt.(kevlar),on sale

none yet

I would have preferred the 200s, but the 185s were on sale. They have gripped going up and down ski trails and steep single track with mud, snow, leaves, roots, and rocks. Night and day improvement over my old tires. Highly recommended!!

Similar Products Used: Tyranoraptor WTB
bart elias   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2001]
Strength:

cheap, incredible in gooey mud

lots of rolling resistance, wear fairly fast

the semi slick campo's are good for the summer, but when wet season starts you can use the superior grip this tire gives in wet, muddy conditions. last trail made me pass everyone and noone pass me, thx to these tires i guess. climbing a muddy slope whilst never losing your front wheel to stay out of those tractor 'trenches'. only 20% of the people reached the summit because you get stuck upto your derailleur in the mud. if the conditions are as i describe above, mounting this tire is a very good option.

Similar Products Used: campo semi slick tire
Rich T   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2001]
Strength:

Aggressive tread... confidence builder when in loose stuff.

Heavy... need to wear tread to lose the weight... j/k! Pricey but at least I don't have to keep buying tubes.

This review is for the GEAX Blades 185 TUBELESS:

I am an XC rider at 5'9" and 158 lbs. I've been riding the Pythons Tubeless Tech from late spring to early fall. I don't know why riders rate the Pythons so poorly. Pythons are hard pack specific and excel in those conditions. I have cut down in riding in the mud... don't try it... it's like ice skating without skates...lol.

I switch to the Blased 185's for the sole purpose of getting an aggressive tread for the fall, winter, spring seasons. The tires are thinner at 1.85 and help out with tire clearance and less tire resistance. The treads are a confidence builder when in loose stuff. I have yet to ride them in the mud where I have heard these tires really do their thing. The weight is high though... at approx. 790 grams/each compared to the Pythons which were 730 grams/each. I can feel the difference, but the benefit again is the way it bites into the trail. I am running soft in the rear and hard in the front... I will experiment through the seasons until summer... see which one is better for me.

About the FEEL of the tires, the Pythons felt better for absorbing the hits... the Blades felt stiffer... neither good or bad... just different. I am now able to whip around the bends with the Blades... even in thick leaves... that sure compensated for the weight. Blades climb well... considering the fall season conditions.

I will most likely go lighter during the summer months and use the Pythons and use the Blades 185's during the other seasons. GREAT TIRES if you want tubeless tires specific for the rough stuff!!!

If you are a current rider using the Blades... email me by clicking on my name above and let me know how you run the tread in the front and rear... want to hear your take on it.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Pythons Tubeless Tech 2.0 on my NRS1. I have used Michelin Wildgrippers 2.1 on my custom Goose NX 8.1. IRC Mythos XC's.
Single track mind   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

Great in mud. It enables me to pedal up muddy slopes where other riders are walking up. It also seems to be good on wet tree roots, where other tires just spin.

Not very good on asphalt or fire roads. On asphalt the knobs are too high and flexible, and on fire roads they don't dig in enough to give grip. Also, the rolling resistance is quite high on these harder surfaces.

This is is the most mud-specific tire I have ever used. Thus, it excels in mud, but is not the fastest tire when you get out of the wet areas. If the track is all muddy, this is the tire of choice. If not, other tires might work as well or even better. I give it five flaming poops for mud performance, but detract one for performance on harder stuff. And five for value, since it was about half the price of the other tires at my lbs.

Similar Products Used: too many to list
Andrew   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

climbing traction, front braking traction, muddy conditions cornering

no glaring weaknesses, however, a poor choice for pavement or macadam (sp?) country roads

This tire is big and beefy for 1.85" listed size, medium weight (around 580 grams).

Great for rear tire with excellent climbing traction on slippery, muddy, rooty. Works fine as a rear tire in all conditions from mud to dry, but not the fastest in the dry.

As a front tire, it is very confidence inspiring on trails that are "slow" due to tightness or muddy conditions. Clears mud out of the tread very well, and doesn't throw all up in your face (like the Ritchey). It is suprisingly OK on the front for dry and fast downhill rolling (especially in straight line braking), but lots of others are better.

On the whole, when the going is slow, slippery, or muddy, the Geax Blade 185 is the tire I can ride faster that any other I have tried. They work well enough in all conditions that I would definately take them as a first choice for exploring new trails in humid locales.

Stay off the pavement or you will grind the knobs off quickly.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Mud Max, Geax Blade 200, plus countless others not so geared toward mud