Geax Beaumont 200 (Front) Tire

Beaumont 200 (Front)

• Proprietary tread blocks offer a new level of tracking and feedback with unmatched traction life.
  • Twin tread row center, maximized working edges at all lean angles.
  • Full Talon 2.0 edging blocks, Soft compound, yet very stiff.
  • No "wash out" under hard cornering.
  • Available in tubeless rigid bead version.
    Folding 26 x 2.00 625g
    Wire 26 x 2.00 675g
    Tubeless 26 x 2.00 850g

• User Reviews (13)

John   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
    Strength:

Tough and great grip on both hard pack and soft stuff like loose sand. Nothing beats these on trails with lots of side slope, like climbing out of deep ruts.

None.

I had grown accustomed to IRC Mythos on the front and Panaracer Smokes on the rear. For the Granny Gear 24 Hours of Temecula, I put on some lightweight Specialized race tires. Yow! What happened to control, especially in the sand? After that lap, I stopped by a booth where John Castellano was selling these tires. He let me try a set for my next lap and I was hooked. He designed Ibis' bikes and his own soft tail Fango frame, as well as these tires.

Get the rear tire too. If your usual ride includes sandy loose stretches, hard pack and rock, these can't be beat. They are just the best all-around tire out there. They are extremely tough for their middle weight heft. I practice my trials moves while my friends fix their rock garden flats.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Performance, IRC, Panaracer, etc.
    Rumplestilskin   [Jul 05, 2000]
    Strength:

Well supported side knobs
    Cleans well
    Steers like a rudder in sand

Lack of penetration

I have to say that I do not like this tire [Front].
    For the terrain I ride, I think there are much better tires out there [like the Fires or the Super X's]. I did like how it worked in sand, which we have lots of. They were unpredictable when riding in loamy pine-neddley soil or anything else that required a penetrating knob.
    I think smaller knobs would be better here. What little mud it encountered cleaned well.
    My advice would be to try them on multiple trails before buying or pass and get something else.

Similar Products Used: Super X's and Fire XC's were my previous sets
    Riccardo Visini   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2000]
    Strength:

For sure durability, and good performance on all conditions/terrains but a merit note on muddy stuff.

On gravel you may find the limit/cost little to high (even in Italy....

I would buy it again, at least for the durability of it.
    At beginning I was a little suspicious but after the first trail .....

Art   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2000]
    Strength:

•Great for almost all conditions - even handles gravel-over-hardpack better than other front-specific tires, and that's sayin' somethin'!
    •Supple ride quality; casing allows for excellent feedback from the terrain.

•Ok in serious mud, but not excellent - loads up a little. You got MUD? You get BLADES!
    •A bit sketchy on fast and open grassy glades: not as many short, sharp edges to cut in with.
    •Price could be a few buck less, but hey - that's America.

Had this one for the better part of a year, and have found it to have great handling and traction in most any condition. Absolutely NO squirm or drift on rock/hardpack cornering compared to its predecessor: the Geax Warp; although the Warp is still an excellent tire in its own rite, and it cuts in better, for example, on thick, wet or firmly packed grass and loam than the Beau does. I'd say the Warp still beats the Beau on softer, wetter ground.

Otherwise, I have no complaints on the Beaumont - it's an excellent front for its intended terrain: medium to hardpack.

Similar Products Used: •You name it...
    Pearce Daley   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2000]
    Strength:

After using the tire for 3 months on sand, rock, pavement, and mud I must say I am very impressed. They grab in all conditions and being on the heavy side I can assure you the are durable.

They seem to roll whne turning on pavement soI have to keep the pressure up high 60 -65 psi

Very hapy with the product and will buy again for the varied use I put thme to.

Similar Products Used: Bontragger, WTB Rapters
    Piers   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 1999]
    Strength:

Excellent grip at all PSI's, doesn't slip out cornering.

These things really help me climb! Especially at 32psi. They really dig in and bite the trail.

Bob   Racer [Oct 26, 1999]
    Strength:

wide traction envelope

HEAVY! measured at 640g

this is an update to my previous review:
    this has to be the most versatile tire i have ever ridden. i put it back on due to the fall laaves and looseness.
    it is strange: most tires that do well in one area, tend to suffer in others. not this tire. it does hardpack very well, then transitions into the loose stuff without missing a beat. the tire is tough too. the only drawback is weight. i usually ride a dirt control, which is much lighter, but is not nearly as forgiving (and i am a smooth rider already). the beau lets me go faster.
    i still am using the super-x on the rear though...

Similar Products Used: all of them
    Bob   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 12, 1999]
    Strength:

very versitile in a wide variety of terrain.

the front is a bit heavy (625g advertised.)

these tires are excellent. i ride mostly hardpack, with some loose/sandy sections. they are able to handle anything--seriously! they pedal very easily, almost like a slick, and stick in a big way. the front was run so that if you look down while astride the bike, the center tread looks like Ls.
    i am very picky about tires, and have tried most.
    these are the best all around tires i have ever tried. period.

Similar Products Used: tried almost all of the tires available.
    Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2003]
    Strength:

Never had a tire corner as well in the dirt or gravel. Hard to make it slide. Very comfortable riding. Extremely well made-nearly perfect casting. Decent in the mud, although they did load up some, there was no sliding around.

The green is growing on me. Slower than some other tires I've run on hard pack & for road use. I wish it was 100 grams lighter.

I got these tires to try out after I fell three times at China camp's loose single track trails. I never rode a tire with this aggressive a tread before. What's more important, traction or speed?

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Python, Kenda Chameleon.
    Pearce Daley   Racer [Nov 03, 2002]
    Strength:

Muddy wet conditions and soft single track. Works well on dry but stands out in the wet stuff. I am using the matching front tire, so this review applies to both tires.

Ugly colors, a little heavy, but nothing else that is significant

I bought the Geaxs several years ago and mounted them on some new wheels I had bought for my hardtail, when I decided to use a Full Suspension bike the wheels went unused. I recently upgraded the wheels for my FS and finally put some miles on the tires. WOW, was I impressed, they track better than the Panaracers, throw off mud immediately and ignore wet roots and rocks. The color sucks and now I don't know if they can be bought but I'm going to go looking for some new ones for my other bikes. My Titus has always been easy to handle but these tires were made for quick starts and excellent handling.