CST Caballero Tire

This mountain bike tire from CST, the Caballero, features a durable 27 thread-per-inch casing with a lightweight puncture resistant belt under the treads.  It is available in steel bead or folding bead variety. Weight: 700 grams (folding) ;

el cap   All Mountain Rider [Mar 22, 2013]
Strength:

This is the most under-rated 29er tires for the price.

I own three 29ers (i.e. two hardtail 29ers Paradox 29 and TransAM 29 and one full suspension - Bandit 29) and I have this tires on all three bikes. I have been using it for 1 year and I must say this tire an all around great 29er tire. It holds-up very well with very little wear. It corners great... very predictable. It reminds me of the Continental Mountain Kings tread, but better and longer wear like the Mountain Queens. It's more like a freeride tire for 29ers. Highly recommend for the $15 price.

hummm... maybe a little heavy, but the tire tread will last a very long time and it's reinforced like a FR tire.

This is the most under-rated 29er tires for the price.

Similar Products Used: Nearly every other 29er tires out there
Kolbi McBroom   [Feb 17, 2013]
Strength:

Rode it for the first time today in the snow and ice near West Orange, NJ. Ran a higher pressure for some reason. between 35-40 front and rear. For a cheap tire i inspired a lot of confidence. It was an XC outting, but it did have some good downhill sections that we got good speed goin. It was semi soft snow and ice from the day melt. super choppy. with speed i didnt lose the front end once. It did chop around a bit, but that should be expected due to the ice and snow chop. I also reversed the tire direction. I thought the design of the tread blocks would work better this way and I believe it did. it stuck so well. the braking was great too. didnt lose the rear end at all even with solid pressure applied. great tire in the soft snow and ice. if it did this well in these conditions im sure it will be great in other areas. On concrete they provide some vibration, but it's expected. they roll pretty well though. not too much more effort involved with these.

if i had to mention it would be that upon purchasing the tire without installing it seemed the sidewalls are very thing. a little worried, but nothing else really i can mention.

Nice cheap tire. Inspired confidence even on day melt snow and ice. braking was solid. was difficult to lose the rear end. roll solid. i like the tread block design, but installed in reverse direction. this might add to road vibration, but its expected. I would recommend these. I am excited to try these on other terrain.

umarth   [Dec 26, 2012]
Strength:

Grip and cost.

(Relative) Maybe not a sandy/hardpack tire, a turd on pavement.

I probably should have left a review on these tires 18 months ago. I bought them on a whim, and I love them. Now one of my friends rides them as well. I live in western Oregon, which means wet roots, mud and general inclement weather for for around 8 months out of the year, and the tires really do a fantastic job in these conditions. When the snow and rain goes away, we have some amazing, ripping downhill descents that last for miles upon miles and I trust the tires to stick all the way down the hill. Fantastic.

They do trundle along on pavement, but most mud tires do that in any case, but at least you don't feel badly about it with the CSTs- they wear slow thanks to the stiff mud and they don't cost much. I may even buy another one since I'm wearing out the rear tire on another bike.

The bike the tires are on is in Boise now, and I am not 100% sold on the grip, but that could certainly be the fault of the sandy conditions that I am not used to riding on- it does seem like you can get away with a faster rolling tire there.

And mine set up fast ghetto tubeless with a compressor.

Efrain Salazar Botello   [Sep 06, 2012]
Strength:

es una llanta muy resistente a golpes fuertes de piedras,suave en las paredes para tener un poca mas de absorcion en los impactos fuertes, muy buen agarre en las curvas, buen ancho y su dibujo ace que no se derrape tan facil. la llanta tiene un muy buen hule le da mayor durabilidad y un costo muy accesible.

es un poco mas pesada que las demas pero no tiene mucha imoportancia.

creo que es una llanta que nos facilita a nosotros de bajos recursos tener una llanta muy buena y en lo personal ando compitiendo con esas llantas y me siento muy seguro.

rallymaniac   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2012]
Strength:

great in mud, loose stuff, cheap and durable

weight, rolling resistance

I have the 29er version with 120tpi casting, folding. I actually have mixed feelings about these tires as they work well in only one specific area (wet or muddy trails). they did save me during one race when it poured for 20 minutes right before the start but otherwise they are boat anchors. Heavy and even when it's dry they roll as if you were still riding in the mud. I would see them as perfect solution for someone who wants a cheap durable and grippy tire for year round riding for fun but if you do any type of racing you will probably want to stay away.

s0ckeyeus   [Jul 09, 2012]
Strength:

Good cornering and traction in a wide variety of conditions. Long lasting. Ridiculous price.

Rolling resistance and weight.

This review is for the 2.25" Comp version. I bought these tires as a cheap fix for a mountain bike trip. I ended up keeping them for two years. The tires perform beyond their price point. Overall, I found it a good all around tire. CST rates them as best suited for loose over hardpack and looser soil types. I find the claims accurate. The tires are predictable in corners and don't wash out easily. They climb OK, but they are a little chunky. Rolling resistance is a little higher than I prefer, especially on pavement. It's also noticeable on hardpack. The tires have good climbing traction but require just a bit more effort than faster rolling tires. These tires are confidence inspiring on descents. My tires weighed around 765g, which is a good 35g over what CST claims. While the Comp model performs well, I would recommend the Pro version for a little less weight and more resilient rubber. The Comps tires are a bit on the stiff side. Overall, it's a great tire.

Similar Products Used: CST Camber Pro (faster rolling, better on hardpack but not as good in the loose stuff)
Mojavemtb'er   [Jul 07, 2012]
Strength:

Very grippy, seem to have a durable casing. Inexpensive for a folding tire. Good volume.

rolling resistance on tarmac and dry hardpack. Not really light but what 2.25 width tire with lots of knobs is?

I have the 26x2.25 "Kingpin" aramid bead folding version from Wally World. These are exactly the same tire as the folding Caballeros. They are just sold by Bell Sports. For $27 a tire they are a great deal for the traction they afford. They are a bit of a slog riding to the trail on pavement but thats the trade of for the traction they give in loose over hard conditions offroad.
I have been using one on the back of ny hardtail but want to try one up front soon. I dont understand why a previous poster from St Louis said he thinks they would not be a good front tire, but maybe the conditions there are much different. Here in the desert and mountain west they seem like an ideal design for a front tire. Good volume and profile. Tough and have alot of gripping edges while still not being to open of a tread pattern.

CCMTB   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2012]
Strength:

Grippy in loose, dusty conditions. Great tread puncture resistance. Quieter than expected. Seats up tubeless with very little air leakage. Price.

Higher than expected rolling resistance. A little heavy (810 grams - 29er, folding)

Purchased these at Walmart under the Bell brand, officially modeled a 'Kingpin', but they ARE Caballeros. The tires even say CST on the sidewalls. The size is a 29, 2.25 and they cost $27.95 each. I'll spare repeating the strengths and weaknesses but, for the money they are pretty darn good tires. They grip better than my old Geax AKAs in Arizona desert conditions I feel more confident going into turns with this tire. I seated these up tubeless to Stan's Arch rims with minimal effort, save for having to use a compressor. They hold air pretty well with only a few psi leakage per week. Not a big deal if you check pressures before each ride, which you should do anyway.

I think the real benefit here will be the slower wear. I ride mostly trail but probably a quarter of my riding is spent on asphalt getting to the trails. My old Geax AKAs wore quickly in this scenario but the Caballeros seem to be wearing much better. The downside to these tires is the higher rolling resistance on pavement. It's definitely noticeable.

Not sure how much of a benefit this is yet, but the tread area has an extra layer of protection against puncture. This is really noticeable once you take the tires out of the box. The tread area is much stiffer than an ordinary tire which contributes to extra weight on the tire. The (new) Caballeros weighed about 100 grams more/tire than my old, worn GEAX tires. So far I haven't had any thorns punch far enough into the tread to have the Stan's come out. Maybe that’s a good thing here in AZ.

Unless something catastrophic happens with these tires, I'll probably continue to purchase them as I'm very satisfied so far.

Similar Products Used: Geax AKA 29, 2.2
Serengetijack   All Mountain Rider [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

I an very surprised with these tires for the value for money. It is one of the best "cheap" chinese products I have ever bought & used. Excelent grip in loose and rocky terrain. Awesome rolling for a relatively beafy tire. After one year I have had just one puncture, what it is surprissing in the terrain I drive.

Cannot think of any, really.

Best tires I have ever had so far and for half or a third of the price of more expensive brands (Maxxis, Specialized, Schwalbe). Your cannot go wrong with this.