Continental X-King Tire

Its developers say it can do anything! Its riders say, “That's myTyre!” Super fast, but nevertheless with a good grip,The X-King was developed withTheTopeak Ergon mountain bike professionalTeam. Despite pronounced studs,The X-King rolls off smoothly and very quietly. No matter if you are on your own or in aTeam, with Race and Mountain King,The super-light X-King easily covers many uses, ranging from cross country/raceTo Alpcross.The X-King simply leaves its competitors behind. Its Black Chili Co

James   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2016]
Strength:

Roles well, grips well on climbs, light weight.

Cuts easily, impossible to run tubeless on my bike. Narrower than advertised

Well this tire is pretty much junk in my opinion, and here is why:
1. I didn't expect it to mount tubeless, because it is not tubeless specific. I still tried with tubeless specific rims but the bead is way to big to allow you to inflate the tire.
2. The sidewalls are super weak. They get cut up easily ruining the tire after one cut. They also start to kind of wear out from flexing over time, and the threads start showing.
3. The knobs are to soft and to flexible making the bike fell really unsettled during hard cornering.
4. The only thing it has going for it is a nice center ridge which makes it role quite nicely on hard pack and pavement.
I should have bought an additional Maxxis cross mark when I had a chance, those tires are quite superior for durability and handling.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis cross mark and ignitor, specilized ground control, bontrager team issue.
Kay Wong   Cross Country Rider [Jan 10, 2016]
Strength:

1. Lighter than most 29ER tires
2. Cheap.

1. Too soft sidewall.
2. Easy punched
3. Difficult to mount (because too soft sidewall)

This is the worst tires in my MTB life.

Installation takes me a hour. Since the sidewall is unreasonable soft, it took more than a hour to mount one tire. Finally I had to insert a tube to inflat, then took the tube away, and mount successful with a lot of soap water and an electronic pump. (stand pump couldn't)

Again, since sidewall is unreasonable soft, the steeling is uncontrollable in lower pressure, such as below 30. If more than 30, the tire is too bounce in rocky territories.

Again and again, since sidewall is unreasonable soft, one of 2 tires have been split within 2 weeks.

Never -- never try this tire even it is cheap.

shekky   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2015]
Strength:

nice burly tread pattern works well on DRY rocky trails

narrower than advertised

(x king folding 29x2.4) i just ran an x king 2160 miles on my hardtail. i liked it enough i got another one. most of my riding is on drought-dry northern california/marin headlands fire roads and singletrack.

these are probably bottom of the line OEM tires that i'm buying but they work...very well...for me.

the only weakness i can fathom in this tire is that it seems narrower than the 2.35 fire cross treads on my surly.

i would use the panaracers on my hardtail, but sometimes riding the rampage up long climbs was like pushing a bulldozer...

Similar Products Used: panaracer rampage 29 x 2.35
Ninerd   [Apr 29, 2015]
Strength:

Good low price, traction wasn't too bad out here in Arizona.

Sidewall sucks butt. It's so thin and I've torn two of them now. Sucks to throw away a tire with so much tread left. Not even a month old :-(

Don't waste your time on them unless your trails are smooth as butter.

Luis Yanez   [Nov 26, 2014]
Strength:

Roll fast and quiet.

Tires wear terribly fart, sidewalls very weak and thin, loose alot of air when running tubeless and tires burp easily...

These came Oem with my 2013 rift zone. In 3 months Ive had my bike, center nubs are already COMPLETELY worn out and The bike has Not been street ridden. Ran these tubeless from day 1, always leaked air, had pinchflats on both, tires burp easily... My geax saguaros by comparison lasted 9 months of extensive use and were still in good condition when i Sold my old bike... I dont recommend these tires in any way

Jay   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2014]
Strength:

I ride the protection 2.2 and it works perfect for the dry hardpack in northern california

The center knobs wear down quickly in rocky conditions.

This is my number one choice for a XC 29" tubeless rear tire. I Have ran the x king 2.2 protection in the front and in the back but found it to work best in the back with a mountain king 2.4 protection in the front. Before I found this tire i was riding Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and was constantly having to deal with ripped side walls, however once i went with the x king and mountain king i have not had to deal with a sidewall tear again even while rideing the same trails.

Brisk Snail   [Dec 01, 2013]
Strength:

Soft compound, tons of grip at lower pressures, especially on loose terrain, shallow snow, soft ground surfaces. One of the tires that sits absolutely strait on a rim. A high-quality product.

Can't come close to Ardents in cornering at high pressures. X-king certainly has more tendency to skip. Rolling poorly at low pressure. Finding the good bias is pretty tricky. Plus 2.4 is the same width as my 2.2 Geax Saguaro (it is not probably bad)

I use 29x2.4 folding as a front tire. To be honest, I expected more performance on hardpacks. You can find a tire that has more grip on dry country roads with less rolling resistance.
Nevertheless, it is superb at lower pressures when road goes off-road (except more or less deep mud).
I believe if it was more versatile, it would be rated with "five burning flames".

Steve   [Oct 10, 2013]
Strength:

Nice tread design

Leak air running tubeless more than others. Side walls are supposed to be reinforced but are not durable.

Cheap. On sale, the price on the steel bead version was too much for me to resist. After seeing the poor durability after a few rides I regretted buying them. Got what I paid for. My commuter bikes loves them!

Angus   [Oct 09, 2013]
Strength:

rolls fast, good grip on sandy, rocky, loose, and hardpacked conditions. Predictable behaviour with good feedback.

Loses some lugs, leaks used as tubeless

Am running the protection version. Had some problems getting a seal despite using UST rims. Fixed this with some liberal application of Stans no Tubes.
Was very excited after using them on loose XC trails - good grip F and R.
I have lost some lugs after a couple of rides on rocky terrain - not too bad as this has happened on Schwable UST tyres also on these tracks.

The most notable problem is that I have experienced some bad burping on a short, twisty hardpacked descent. ('The Luge' at Stromlo Forest Park here in the ACT). I repeated this four times with the same result - severely reduced tyre pressure and I can see where the Stans has blown out the sides. The last time I started with a high pressure - 39psi - but the tyre still came away from the rim.

If I hadn't stopped to inflate I'm sure this tyre would have come off the rim, I would have come off the bike, and a spectacular crash would have resulted. (I have experienced this with three of their tyres now as I bought a Mountain King 2 to try on the front.)

I have since put tubes in the tyres and lodged a customer complaint with Continental since this tyre seems unsafe. We'll see how long it takes to get action.

Rumblefish29er   [Aug 08, 2013]
Strength:

Surprisingly good traction and performance for such a narrow tire (29 x2.2 was definitely narrower). Light, fast roller, fairly good grip.

2.2 was too narrow. Dances around in roots and rocks. Sidewall was really soft - blew out after relatively few rides.

These came stock on my Salsa Spearfish. Wire bead, 29x2.2 with tubes. For smoother terrain they were pretty nice tires, both wet and dry. As the rocks and roots get bigger they lose their charm. If forced to use again, I would go with the 2.4 protection. I randomly blew the sidewall out, which is not a huge surprise, they were very thin. I liked it more as a rear tire and eventually switched to a Nevegal front. Heavier tire, but it offered so much more control.