Continental X King ProTection Black Chili Tire

X King ProTection Black Chili

Super fast, but nevertheless with a good grip, the X-King was developed with the Topeak Ergon mountain bike...

AZmtncycler   All Mountain Rider [May 31, 2015]
Strength:

rolls well. Running the 2.4" on the rear of my JET 9. Stiff sidewalls allow for a few psi lower than other tires.

knobs rip off! After 4 rides, many of the side knobs are chunked off or ripped altogether.

I've had great luck with the Mountain King Protection so I thought these would be the ticket for my XC machine. Sadly, I'll be going right back to Mountain King II Protection.

Similar Products Used: Continental Mountain King II and Trail King. Maxxis Ardents, On One Smorgasbord/Chunky Monkey
ElGato   [Jun 03, 2014]
Strength:

They look good, I guess

Fragile, Poor performance, some what difficult to mount, Leaky. Very brief life. Weak grip.

Not too hard to mount but a bit more bother than most. Did not seal well for a few days and with additional Stan's. As noted elsewhere, the sidewall is very stiff and gives the feel of an over-inflated tire, so I lowered the pressure until I was banging the rim and the tire still didn't feel right. The lack of flex in the sidewall comprimises grip, both climbing and cornering. The knobs completely sheer off at the casing, exposing the casing which equals a dangerous tire to take a long ride on, even over moderate terrain. Usually tires with such poor grip roll well, however, the X-Kings did not roll especially fast. Expensive tires when the knobs rip off after a few rides rendering them useless for any serious work. This product should be recalled.

Melvinmelvyn   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2014]
Strength:

I liked the graphics?

Ran 27.5 x 2.2. Clearly right off the bat poor on loose over hard for me but that's a subjective thing. Put these on did a few shake-down rides (where I noticed clearly crappy traction), then a 24 hr race and THEY ARE SHREDDED. The knobs are coming off (or have came off) at the casing.

It's just bad. The ProTection sidewall is still and adds the feel of a few extra PSI but when you run lower PSI to compensate, it doesn't work out too well. It's like going back to non-tubeless. The knobs are tearing off at the casing on a not too rocky groomed race course. I'm somewhat happy they are ruined because they had such a lame feel and poor grip anyway, and I don't have to make excuses to get rid of them. They just suck.

wyo_biker   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2013]
Strength:

Great all-around tire and hooks-up well and holds traction in a variety of conditions. The hardiness of the sidewalls inspires confidence in rocky terrain. They mounted up easily on ZTR Arch EX rims.

Cracking and breaking of some of the side knobs.

After a great deal of shopping, always looking for the best all-round tire I can, I decided to give the X-King Protection with Black Chili a try. This review is for the 2.2 x 26 inch size and I am running this tire on both the front and rear.

Unpacking these tires they seem really “stout”. I normally just run standard folding bead tires on my Arch EX rims and this is the first pair of “tubeless-ready” or in this case “protection” tires I’ve run. The difference could be best described as changing from four ply radials to ten ply radials on your pick-up truck. The sidewalls were noticeably thicker than what I am used to running. I wish I would have weighed one tire prior to mounting as they seem heavier than advertised……..but I can’t say for sure.

I mounted these tires to Stan’s ZTR Arch EX rims. The tires mounted up very easy and I didn’t even need to use any tools. I aired the tires up using my compressor to about 30 - 35 psi and be beads popped into place. I was surprised that even without any sealant the tires held pressure well. After adding sealant, to this day, I usually only have to add two or three PSI before a ride………I usually ride every other day.

For sealant I decided to use Continental’s Revo sealant even though I have had good luck with Stan’s sealant on other tubeless set-ups. As a side note, following the instructions, the Conti Revo sealant required about 1.5 ounces more sealant per tire than Stan’s recommends…….adding a little weight. I haven’t noticed any sealant leaking out through the sidewalls as some other reviewers. Maybe it is because I used Conti Revo on this setup rather than Stan’s……….

I weigh about 165 pounds and have been running 23 PSI in the front and 25 Psi in the rear with no burping problems at all.

I’ve been riding these tires for about a month and a half on a wide verity of trail conditions including smooth single track, rocky single track, some sand, some mud, graveled county roads and some very steep terrain.

On the up-side, I have to say so far these are some of the best all-around tires I’ve ridden. The sidewalls seem so thick and durable that after 1.5 months and banging off some very sharp rocks (I don’t always pick the best line!) I have a lot of confidence in the side-walls holding up. Traction climbing in a variety of situations seems really good, downhill braking under very steep conditions is very impressive and the tire hooks-up well, the tire rolls and tracks very good on narrow single track, and the tire holds well on steep side slopes.

On the down-side, I, like other reviewers, have noticed some cracking and breakage of some of the side knobs, mostly on the front tire. I noticed this after only a few rides and at $65.00 per tire this was very disappointing! And although not a huge deal-breaker, these tires combined with the additional Conti sealant did add some weight over my previous setup.

For overall rating I would have given these tires 5 chiles however, with side knobs breaking already 4 is the highest rating I could give. For value rating I gave a three as for a tire that costs $65 dollars I expect better durability with the side knobs.

If I notice any additional issues with these tires I’ll gladly post another review. A few more months of riding should tell-the-tale on how well these hold up.

Similar Products Used: A variety of tires, most recently Panaracer XC Pro and Geax.
Dirtvet   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2013]
Strength:

This review is for the 2.2 size F/R, for Houston TX area (roots, sand no rocks - easy on tires). These when run tubeless with Stan's are excellent for my conditions compared to nearly everything previously (Nevegals, racing ralphs, trail king, race kink). The roll fast and seem light, comfortable, no problem hooking up and climbing the steepest loose hills here. When the terrain is really sandy from lack of rain, the front end can get squirly and I wish for more side knobs.

Was hard to seal - sidewall leaks. After much effort and multiple Stan's treatments, they now are sealed and hold air well.

These are good tires - best I've used for my conditions, most of the time. A little sketchy for a front tire but as good as others for the weight. I'd buy again. No durability problems after 6+ months. Tires do not wear out in south Texas. No shed knobs like others, but then again no rocks here either.

Similar Products Used: Nevegals, Trail Kings, Race Kings, Mountain Kings
Kenny   Cross Country Rider [Jan 25, 2013]
Strength:

None compared to what I've been riding for a few years now - Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

My rear tire came with a leaking sidewall and it flats on every ride. I'm running tubeless and the Stans won't seal the leak. They don't hook up near as well as a Schwalbe. They are heavier that a Schwalbe. They don't stay as soft as a Schwalbe in the cold weather.

I tried these tires to save a little money and figured that they would be a decent training tire, but was I ever wrong. I learned my lesson and will never switch again - I'm a Schwalbe customer for life!

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, Schwalbe Rocket Rons. Schwalbe Noby Nics
thoggard   All Mountain Rider [Jan 03, 2013]
Strength:

Fast rolling, hook up . . . eventually. I gave em 3 on value because I got em for $45 each

Sheds knobs; poor quality; poor traction on loose over hardpack

As another reviewer documented, this tire sheds knobs and the surrounding rubber way too easy leaving the underlying ply vulnerable. These tires were highly recommended to me for central Texas trails by a local wrench and upon learning of my problems, said wrench told me it was normal to lose a knob riding rocky conditions. Apparently said wrench forgot that I ran a pair of Bonty XDX tires for two years on the exact same trails prior to the purchase of these XKings (two short months ago) and never lost a knob. I will never buy Continental again, but for what its worth, these tires do roll super fast and will eventually hook up in fast corners, but not before they slide a little and put the scare and accompanying exhileration in you of having narrowly avoided a crash. Apparently the Germans are only good at beer and brats.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager XDX tires
c-dale99   [Dec 13, 2012]
Strength:

rolls extremely well

side walls split w/out notice or trauma. the new protection formula is too hard and plasticy

Use this as a ft tire for about 4 months. Not happy. It split along the sidewall w/out notice or any trauma to it whatsoever. ...I've had way too many split tires and no reply from continental.

Eric   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2012]
Strength:

They roll great and hook up well every where I tried them. Light weight for a 2.4 and never flatted.

These things are shedding knobs like crazy. Way too fragile a rubber compound for a rear tire, which is where I have it mounted. When the knobs come off, it exposes the belt. The sidewall also shows a great deal of wear and exposed belt from abrasions.

I loved this as a rear tire for the way it rolls and hooks up anywhere but it's turning out to be way too fragile. I did beat the snot out of it in Moab and the Colorado high country. In 7 days of very rocky terrain and as many on my local hard pack trails, it shed at least 10 side knobs and chipped lots more down the middle. Too bad. I really like the way this tire works.

Tom   [Aug 10, 2012]
Strength:

Rolls faster than it looks

A bit heavier...worth the added protection though

I try new tires all the time. Kept coming back to the Fire XC Pro for its all around performance in the Arizona desert. Love the SB 8's and similar fast tires but in the end they're fragile and I'd have to switch out for many of the local trails. The x kings are as good all around for traction as the Fire XC's but they roll faster. No wear problems for me. Recognize that some folks need a tractor tire to get through difficult turns but I find these pretty easy to trust. I did notice the increased weight though but after slicing lighter tires and burping the Fires a few times, these seem like a better do-everything tire. Also, easiest tubeless I've ever mounted. My experience is with the 2.2's. My new fave.