Continental Twister Supersonic Tire

Twister Supersonic

The Continental Twister SuperSonic Mountain Bike Tire uses a low-profile center tread and aggressive outer tread to allow low rolling resistance without compromising cornering performance. These tires dominate on the hill climbs and still hold their own when the front gets pointed down. Continental's three-ply construction reduces flats even on the roughest terrain.

Bruno_H2   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight, minimum rolling resistance, race oriented looks

Weak sidewalls, wears out in a couple days, too flat prone for my taste, got two (that's right, two...) flats in just 30 min interval that ruined my ride, and this running on hardpack and smooth pavement....

Don't waste your hard earned dough buying these... THESE TIRE SUCKS!!!! Period...

Similar Products Used: Kenda small block 8's, spz fast track lk, maxxis larsen tt
fierce750   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

VERY very light weight, Roll fast

Tread simply falls off, Rocks will puncture right through the Tread/tire

Complete crap, I will not buy this tire again.
I have 2-3 flats a week with this thing and it's not because of bad rim strips, or sharp rim edges or how I ride.. They simply SUCK.
If your goal is to get the lightest bike then go for it, if you actually want to ride your bike stay away from these things.
I do ride 3-5 times a week but my riding partner never ever gets flats with his cheapy kenda's

Don't listen to the reviews that say these rock.. THEY don't take my word for it, worst tire I have EVER used in nearly 20 years of mtn biking.

Sam Barley   Racer [Jun 13, 2007]
Strength:

SUPERLIGHT!!!!! This thing picks up speed like nothing else, really low rotating weight makes it damn fast!! Also very sticky compound and works extremely well with Stan's, with which they work first time no problem and inflate to what looks like a 2" which is reassuring.

None yet. They say on the package they have reduced protection but with Stan's I don't feel a thing anyway, so...

Best tyres I have ever seen! Amazing grip, acceleration, compatibility and ease of use with stan's...
Continental really take the piss out of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with this!!! My mate with otherwise the same wheelset as me punctured and ripped his loads even though they are a good 100g heavier! Tread lasts longer too!
What else can I say?! Simply the best!

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Bontrager...
Will Curtis   Racer [Jun 03, 2007]
Strength:

Really light, DO WORK WITH STAN"S (ACTUALLY VERY EASILY), roll fast.

they tend to feel falt most of the time when they are not, and, obviously, have very low traction due to lack of tread.

you get what you pay for: an EXTREMELY light, fast rolling tire w/ little rolling resistance, but with very low tread and downhill ability

Similar Products Used: karma, python, etc.
Kevin   Racer [Jul 24, 2006]
Strength:

Fast, low rolling resistance, decent overall traction and good cornering, very low weight

obviously prone to pinch flats

great race tires in most conditions - extreme wet or rock excluded. very fast acceleration and full side knobs make them a good turning tire. best race tire i have ever used.

Similar Products Used: maxxis flyweights, conti explorers, hutchinson pythons too many others to list
Wietse Willemse   Racer [Jun 02, 2006]
Strength:

Very light, low rolling resistence and therefore very fast

Flats due to snake bites in rocky areas, wears fast

For XC competition on fast courses theses tires are great. When you use them in rocky terrain they constantly flat due to snakebites and I weigh only 60kg and do not ride that aggressive. Using a thicker tube and more pressure in the tires does help, but makes riding too harsh and uncontrolable imho.

Similar Products Used: Conti explorer protection
Kevin   Racer [Dec 05, 2007]
Strength:

FAST rolling, light weight

Thin Sidewall, can not be converted to tubeless very easily

Great race tire, good side knobs for cornering. Lasts for a few years of racing (race only tire BTW).

Similar Products Used: pythons, explorers
Rick Moore   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2007]
Strength:

Superlight, decent traction, corners better than I would have expected.

Thin sidewalls do allow Stan's to leak through. Proper maintenence is required. Short tread life.

If super light weight is you goal, these are your tires. These tires hook up very well in spite of their diminutive footprint. The key for me was using Stan's, only one flat tire in 1,000 miles.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer, Specialized, Kenda, Bontrager
Jason Scott   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, decent traction

NOT compatible with Stan's No Tubes, decent traction...

I bought these because they would JUST tip the scales on my bike to under 20 lbs (over the Hutchison Mosquito tires I previously used). I run tubeless rims, so run Stan's No Tubes. Using the standard amount of Stan's, these things don't hold air very well. A dip in the bathtub shows thousands of tiny air bubbles leaking through the sidewalls. I guess that's the cost of super-thin sidewalls. You have to air them up every day if you don't use tubes. Granted, these tires are FAST. They accelerate great. Even climbing hills, I rarely lose traction. My biggest complaint is in the cornering department. On twisty trails, I consistently find myself losing ground to heavier tires with more bite. I switched back to the mosquito tires, and my lap times immediately dropped. I'll probably never switch back to them.