Continental Traction Pro Tire Tire

Traction Pro Tire

Developed as a cross-country racing tire specifically to provide rear-tire drive in loose terrain, Continental's TractionPro provides superior grip on everything but the driest hard-pack. Large, sturdy tread blocks are placed to provide the traction needed for acceleration, still allowing soil and water to be evacuated to prevent mud build-up. Models include wire and Kevlar bead ASC® tread center and Tubeless versions.

• 26 x 2.00 650 grams (wire) 570 grams (Kevlar)
  • 26 x 2.00 TL 950 grams (wire, tubeless)

• User Reviews (72)

NA1NSXR   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2008]
    Strength:

Predictability, climbing traction

Rolling resistance

I have had this same tire back when I livedin the northeast and I still have it on my bike now that I am in Southern California, so I have seen most possible riding conditions with this tire on, except for wet rock. The tire performs very well in all situations, but you pay for this performance as it is a very slow roller. Tread wear in the northeast was acceptable, but riding on rockfaces in the southwest has accelerated the wear greatly. I'm pretty sure this thing is long discontinued by now, but for people out there riding for fun and adventure this is a solid choice if you can find one. If you care about speed at all, this one is pretty hard to reccommend. I had it mounted backwards in the rear. I will probably look to try something else when this needs to be replaced.

Similar Products Used: WTB tires
    Brian   Racer [Jun 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Traction. Reasonable wear. Traction. Very good self-cleaning tread. Traction.

Vibrations on the road. Not the fastest tire out there. Continental has stopped making this tire as far as I can tell.

Traction. This tire out climbs and out corners any other tire I have tried. The last two WORS Cups have experienced near torrential down pours either the day of or day before the race. In both races I was able to climb every section of trail, often when other riders had to dismount and climb. Slipped some on wet roots and rocks, but anything is going to slip then. I usually save these tires for a rainy day, so they don't get many miles on them, since they aren't the fastest tire around. On brief road rides to the trails, you can certainly feel the knobs flex, but thats not a big deal since I am using them for the off road traction they provide in wet conditions. This tire got me up a climb that I had failed to be able to accomplish in even the driest conditions with other tires, and it was wet when I tried it with this tire. I use the Traction on both front and back. Not the best all around tire out there, but certainly one of the best when it comes to wet and muddy conditions.

Keck Baker   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2003]
    Strength:

not many. corners nice in wet terrain

After having this tire for less than a month it is completly destroyed. I ride a alot of different terrain. I went up to the mountains last week to ride up and then down about 20 miles on really narly rock. The tire is dead, knobs are poping off and exposing the brown-tan layer underneith. I have been riding since 1993 and have never had such junk.

buy this tire if you never blaze down rocky terrain

Similar Products Used: maxxis,panaracer,irc
    Peter St-Amour   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2006]
    Strength:

Grip, quality

Drag on harder surfaces, not the most advanced design, do rumble strangely on tarmac.

An older design I picked up dusty and unloved from the corner of a bike shop. My benchmark for winter tyres are Trailrakers and IRC Mudmads, which are fantastic, although for the sake of experience I thought I'd try something different this year. They grip really well in the deep mud, and keep a line. No problems with wheelspin (I use on the rear only) and it's unreasonable to expect anything to grip over wet or exposed routes or rocks. That said, the hard compound Continental use doesn't help their cause. On balance not as free rolling, light or supple as a Trailraker, but if you need something different for the winter (and if Continental still make them, which I doubt) then give them a spoodle.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Spike (remember those?), Panaracer Trailraker
    Gary Brown   Weekend Warrior [Dec 30, 2001]
    Strength:

Awesome traction
    Cool looks
    Pretty light

Just finished a 30 km ride in Snow around some quite technical trails in the nord westfallia area.The tyre which I only fitted two days ago performed outstandingly, Yesterday I did a similiar route and had my first ever pinch flat. Decided to up the pressure and hey presto no pinch flat today and great performance for only 35DM APPROX £12.00
    This tyre took me thru terrain that I would never have previously managed,now my mates are also getting a set. Matched with an Explorer Pro on the front, Bought this tyre after reading this review page.

Similar Products Used: Conti Explorer pro, Exporer, Other cheaper stuff.
    Christian Long   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2001]
    Strength:

- Light
    - Excellent grip when new

- Wears very fast
    - Price (I got it on sale though)

The best traction I've ever experienced for Colorado/Utah conditions (dry, rocky, sandy). I only had optimal traction for about 2 weeks, then I rode about 20 miles on slickrock, that totally destroyed the tire. I would assume that pavement would do the same. Knobs started coming off after about 5 weeks of riding. I kept it for about 2 months, traction was completely gone by then (about 500 miles/860km). Low rating because of the unacceptable tread wear.

Similar Products Used: Too numerous to list
    Adam   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2000]
    Strength:

Looks Sweet. High Quality. Good Grip.

Heavy and Squirelly

These tires look great and they grip well (dual compound grey & wire bead model). However, I just changed from the continental cross country on the rear, and I can say for sure the cross coutry is a better tire. It is nearly 200g lighter, and it grips just as well. More importantly, the cross country model handles predictably--it never seems to slide out when cornering. I'm switching back.

Similar Products Used: Other Contis
    Peter Leichliter   cross-country rider [Sep 20, 1998]

After riding my the Traction Pro with the dual density rubber on my rear wheel for about a month and a half, I'm not impressed. The ugly orange rubber has worn off about one-third of the center knobs. I was warned that it might wear faster on pavement, but I rode very little on pavement and it still wore faster than a tire should. Also the uphill traction is not as good as the Continental Cross Country.

pm2   [Jan 22, 2001]
    Strength:

This tire provides more than enough grip for most situations and is very predictable. I run it on the rear w/an Explorer Pro on the front.

In truly muddy conditions when only a mud tire will do, these will let go. They have a fairly high rolling resistance compared to Conti's Explorer Pro.

This tire is hard to beat. If the rolling resistance were lower it would be better, but then it probably not grip as well. It just hooks up everywhere on a wide variety of surfaces.