Continental Top Touring 2000 Tire

Top Touring 1.75

[Jun 27, 2003]
Nick Wood
Downhiller

Strength:

Long lasting, comes in wide sizes

?

Used these last summer on a Northwest/West coast tour. 2200 miles and only 2 flats. They would be cool when my BOB trailer tire was getting ripped into. The sidewall thing didn't affect me, I still throw them on my heavy-duty wheels when I don't have cyclocross tires on 'em.
Did I mention they last forever? Also, I used them for about 60 miles of some fireroad/heinous 2-track riding, and they held well enough down a long (10 mile, steep grade) descent on gravel to make me confident in braking. I pushed them around 20mph turns at 40 and railed down steep hills in Oregon with my brakes off. Very confidence inspiring.

Other road tires

[Sep 24, 2005]
Tony

Strength:

see below

see below

I researched these tires and chose them over all the others. I road them for 7 months to work and back on the street. I did not really like them but road them anyway; they were better than mtn bike tires on the road. I did get a couple of flats so they are not as tough as they say. In fact, I would say that these tires are mostly hype.
I am using Chen Shing road tires now and they seem to be the same thickness, toughness, and everything plus they are ALOT faster and hold better on the road it seems. Do not know how long they will last but have been riding them for 2 months now and they still have the rubber nipples on them! I ride 30 mins. to and from work 5 days a week.

Chen shing or whatever

[Sep 30, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

Conti Top Touring tires were original equipment on my Cannondale road tandem. My wife and I ride on the weekends, mostly roads but some packed gravel trails. Initially, I really liked these tires - they seem to roll well, are quiet and I've experienced little tread wear. Big problems showed up after a couple of years.

The sidewalls on the tires began to deteriorate after 2 years (1700 miles). I talked to one of the maintenance guys at the bike store and he told me that Continental is notorious for weak sidewalls. The sidewall begins to separate and threads begin to stick out - although the tread is still in good shape, the tire begins to deform under pressure everywhere the sidewall is separating. Once I saw what was happening I lost confidence in these tires for long rides. For the price, these tires ought to last a lot longer - as far as I'm concerned, Continental has a big problem.

Nice tires initially but weak sidewalls give the tires a limited lifetime.

[Jul 22, 2001]
Ben

Strength:

Good slick tires for daily commute to work. Quiet ride. Keep the knobbies for the weekend.Stay on pavement with this tire.

Contrary to most reviews below, 4 punctures in 3 months on streets not particularly cruddy. On wet streets, don`t expect to stay glued to pavement...on the other hand don`t expect otherwise after looking a the thread.

Heck of a fight to get these tires off/on rims.

Recommend buying it for street/pavement rides, commutes. Forget it if anything different, even light off road stuff.

Specialized Crossroads EX

[Jul 11, 1997]
Dan Valleskey
weekend warrior

I bought them to mount on my Bridgestone, I found I've been using the bike more for pulling my son in his Burley. I had some Schwinn cross tires mounted for a while, I thought they gave no real improvement over the Ritchey knobs that came on the bike. But these Contis are great- I thought I needed a higher pressure tire, I figured 80 or a hundred psi would speed things up, but I was standing at the register at the shop, the guy said, you'll think you are running 100 pounds. He was right. Nice low rolling resistance. Yes, they went on hard, I hope I don't have to do any on-road repairs for a while.

[Apr 21, 1996]
Garry Lee
weekend warrior

I've used these tyres on touring bikes for about 5 years with not one puncture due to something penetrating the tyre. The MTB version is now available. It is an excellent road tyre with a light pattern on it. Fast. Very durable.

[Jan 14, 2000]
Scott

Strength:

Virtually bombproof, cannot flat these tires

Very very heavy
Not pretty to look at

I average over 6000 miles a year commuting over 30 miles a day to and from work. As you can imagine, I've tried a lot of different components, wheels, and tires. I bought these 26" Continential Top Touring 2000 tires in July 1999 and after 2600 miles later (as I'm writing this), I haven't had a flat. This is incredible considering the amount of pure miles I rack on my commuter bike. I live in Northern Colorado, and ride through all types of junk and road debris and these tires keep on trekking. If you're looking for an all around commuting, all-purpose road tire for your mountain or road/touring bike, you will not go wrong with these.

Continential Goliaths, Michelin city tires

[Jan 21, 1997]
Deric Licko
weekend warrior

I love these tires! I've got over 6K miles on them and they're still going strong. Good puncture resistance.

[Dec 23, 1999]
stephen
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

no punctures, good traction on dirt (for a 700x32C tyre), no tread wear after 2 years. (I still have a pair of 700x23C Conti GPs after 20,000+ km...)

Heavy, hard ride due to stifff casing, high rolling resistance -- feels flat at any pressure

A very durable and puncture resistant tyre, but disappointing for me as I bought it in the hopes of a softer ride due to the greater air volume. I will use something more supple when they wear out -- should be in about 10 years/30,000 km or so... (sigh)

lots!

[Nov 16, 1999]
Marvin
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Virtually flatproof, low rolling resistance, good traction on wet and snowy (<3) roads.

A bitch to change- have broken nylon and alloy tire irons, now using a pair of small screwdrivers!

Loads of tread left after 2+ years of using these as daily commuter tires. Rolls over glass, metal, whatever w/o flatting. Ended up getting another wheelset for my XC tires since it was so hard to change these out. Way better in the wet than Fat Boys (though substantially heavier!!) 5 chilis minus one for difficulty in getting them off & on.

Specialized Fat Boy