Continental Speed King Tire

Continental Speed King CrossTires are fast rolling crossTiresThat are great inThe dirt and onThe pavement.Tire Bead: Folding, Steel ISO Diameter: 622TireType: ClincherTire Diameter: 700c Weight: 450(foldable), 520(steel) g PSI: 80 PSI

chipmunk   [Jun 23, 2013]
Strength:

Light tyre, Low rolling resistance.

Soft sidewalls and side nobs. Give way too easily. DO NOT RUN THESE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR MOUNTAIN BIKE!

After reading some good reviews for these tyres I bought one to fit onto the front of my Giant Anthem. First event I did I came off when the front washed out on the road going down a hill. I blamed the road at first thinking it was because it was slightly off camber but a few weeks later it almost did it again several times. By now it was winter so I put the bike away and used another bike and tyres whilst forgetting about the continental. Did a 30 mile charity event in June and coming into the finish and turning a corner the front folded again. The tyre should not have let go, it was dry, the road was not smooth or greasy in anyway. I have never gone from horizontal to on the deck so fast. Waiting for the fractured femur to repair then I will be dumping this tyre.

Chris   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2013]
Strength:

Light
OK in the mud
Fast rolling

NO grip on surfaced trails
Shoulder knobs fold easily
Deadly on rocks

These came a standard on my 2010 Boardman sport (2.1 wire model), and were quickly replaced, they have little to no grip on surfaced singletrack, and when on slabs of rock, you can feel the tyre "walk" across the surface as the shoulder knobs fold. They are fast rolling, but the lack of grip outweighs this. I replaced them with Barons, 2.3 front and rear, and they suit the Scottish singletrack much better. If you are ONLY running completely natural trails, maybe opt for the 2.3 model of this, but if that is the case, why not Barons or Rubber Queens?

ihaveaquestion   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2010]
Strength:

-Light
-Grippy
-lots of traction

None.

Very good tires. Couldn't be happier with them. Such a great improvement from the tires on my scrambler!

Similar Products Used: Kendas that came with my old Norco Scrambler
mojo   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2010]
Strength:

this tire rolls like loaded dice, fast and consistant

dont do no deep muddin with it it wont hang

this tire came along before the many other tires that are beeing made to out do its weekness, still in its Strengths it never turned its back on what it does well which is roll the road, grip some hard pack and grab hold of some crushed lime. Ive ridden with it, I got no complaints

Similar Products Used: Vittoria randonneur
Pollution Warrior   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2010]
Strength:

weight; low rolling resistance

Could have better tread on the sides maybe

I like them. Rolling resistance is lower than I expected. I would like more aggressive tread on the edges though. Some people say these tires have dangerously bad traction. They may also be the ones with frequent trips to the ER too. I ride more cautiously than most because I really want to avoid going to a Chinese ER so these tires grip quite well enough for me. If you like to be a daredevil then maybe choose another tire. I've ridden on hardpack dirt, grass, off camber stuff, small rocks, ruts, and smooth rocks a little smaller than eggs and the smooth rocks were the only ones where I had any trouble, but I don't know that any tire would handle rocks like that any better. On two long rides over lots of different kinds of conditions the tires rarely ever slipped (no tire sticks to everything) and never in a scary way.

I needed a tire that wouldn't slow me down on pavement and would give good all-round performance in all conditions off-road and, other than maybe more aggressive tread on the sides, I don't think I could have done much better than this tire for my style of riding. Giving it 5 value chillis for the $22 price and 4 overall chillis because I'd like to have more aggressive tread at the sides.

Joel   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2010]
Strength:

good in mood
weight
(foldable)

not durable (the foldable)

bad tire for use in the back, because of in the center ridge starting to cut through, mi recomendation is only for races

Similar Products Used: continenteal speedking wired
Tjay   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

This is for 2.3 SpeedKing SuperSonic non-UST.

-very lightweight. I weighed mine at 460 grams!
-can run 20 psi front or rear on tubes w/out pinch flats and I was running maxxis and specialized thin tubes!
-pretty quiet when use on paved road
-zero flats (no punchture or pinch)

-knobs in the rear was coming off after about 20 hours of runtime.
-very soft sidewalls
-sketchy on loose rocks
-rear end just breaks loose real easy even without applying brakes when descending.
-these tires just doesn't have the grip on dry/loose trails.
-pricey

climbing with these tires on a summer day/dry trail is great especially when using traction control with DT swiss/scott rear suspension but the downhill is where you need to pay very close attention. Even at 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 psi, this tire is just loose and is very sketchy. It'll slip when cornering at about 15-18 mph.

I'll give this a 3 chilli because it has a very low rolling resistance and making it easy to climb even with a heavier bike.

smcnair   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2010]
Strength:

Very Light

-Bad under steer on the front
-Side knobs soft as wet noodles
-not 2.3, both height and width were within 0.01" of my 2.0 Specialized Captains

Good: These are light, very light for their size (not 2.3 but still decent).

Bad: After 2 rides I am selling these.

I rode them on a trail I know well and have never slipped so many times. The front under steers bad. The side knobs are way too soft and there are too few. Sticky rubber is nice but not when it is so soft, these are like having pieces of wet noodles glued to a slick tire.

Compared to my Mutano Raptors, these made dry hardpack feel like wet roots. After the ride I was even afraid to turn fast in the parking lot.

I did a test against a Mutano Raptor. Front brake on, bike tilted 45degrees and see how far I can compress the fork before the tire gave out. On loose dirt and on hardpack, I could compress the fork with a Mutano tire at least 3x more before it would slip.

3 chilis for value because the weight is so impressive
1 overall because they have as much traction as a wet slick

Similar Products Used: Spec. Captain SWorks, WTB Mutano (best), Maxis exception high roller
bobbob   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2010]
Strength:

Supersonic version used and run tubless. Light, fast and gripy. Great climbers' tire. One must be aware that such a tire is not riden like a heavier tire and as such very rocky areas require careful line choice or unweighting of either end of the bike at the right time. Considering that they make up for that small fraction care the rest of the time.

Some of the users who buy these thinking a light tire will survive a heavy handed or careless riding style.
Not as good as the Explorer Supersonic which is no longer available.

If you are a mature rider (you not destroying parts regularly), not more than about 70kg, ride-fast-aggressive XC on non-groomed trails and want to run 30psi tubeless for max climbing grip then give these a go.