Continental Slash Tire

• Foldable Kevlar bead
  • DuraSkin sidewall protection
  • Puncture-resistant rubber compound

wpointlax   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

None.

This tire is too heavy. The side walls do not hold up and it severely hampers my climbing ability.

This is the worst product ever made. The poster, Archangel, does not know what he is talking about. His ability to ride is that of an arm chair quarterback. I strongly suggest to any avid bike rider (from the beginning rider to the expert) do not waste your money on these tires.

Additionally, do not ride the Hohenfels track; it is a waste of time.

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe Nobby Nic
archangeljwp   Racer [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

First of all this tire is heavy (630g), but super strong!
Durable tread on and off-road that works well when aired down to between 36-45psi.

You must wear glasses (common sense anyway) as they spit up everything on the trail into your face. Get fenders if you want added weight to your bike.

1. IMO this tire works well for tracks/trails that have extremely rugged and varying terrain. I raced them on a course in Germany that had loose gravel, boulders, very soft loamy soil, hard pack, roots that were almost hike a bike worthy and anything else you can imagine. They held up great when others were fixing flats or slowing way down on the technical, loose terrain.

2. Use them if you can power up hills and do not worry about slipping. I at 220lbs. full kit can power out of saddle with 35 psi in them, on wet loose terrain.

3. I will recommend them most for long duration races (50+ KM) where if the conditions get wet, you can keep motoring on when the rest are changing tires. And someone please tell me what is the best tire for wet roots! I have not found it yet.

4. Blueskycycling.com has them 2 for $40.00 in the 2.3!!!

5. I will more than likely try to find a more knobbied front and keep this in the rear for AM use and long races. The protection and traction cannot be beat.

Similar Products Used: All Schwalbes (easy to get in Germany), WTB WeirWolf, and many more over the years.
Fukarewe?   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2009]
Strength:

I use a Slash on the back wheel, and it climbs like football cleats up steep, loose, sandy, root-covered sections. Climbs rocks like stairs. Rolls very easily, corners very well. Holds it's line, cornering in sandy conditions. The 2.3 section stays on top of the sand, while narrower tires I tried wallowed and plowed.

Soft, loose surface tire only. I would not use this for hard pack trails, or any street use. Would not work well as a front tire.

I wish I had a stack of these ferreted away. The ladder-like tread climbs like a paddle tire, and brakes very well also. I would only use this as a rear tire of course!

Similar Products Used: Nothing climbs like this, without going to a much heavier tire.
Licey   Racer [Nov 08, 2008]
Strength:

above average traction in loose rock

does not work well tubeless, short sidewalls, 2.3 measures closer to 2.2, does not guard against "slashes."

I purchased two of these tires to run tubeless as my rear tire. I liked the traction but after three rides in a loose/sharp rock enviroment, I slashed the back tire so bad that Stans would not seal it. Even worse, the slash put a gash on my rim. I installed the second tire and did the same thing on a different trail. Needless to say, I'm pissed because my rims are now jacked up.

Bottom line: Do not purchase this tire if you plan on riding on loose or sharp rock. This is not a tire suited for all-mountain type use.

Similar Products Used: Kenda, WTB, Specialized, etc
Psycho Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2007]
Strength:

Great grip, very predictable cornering, clears snow, slush and mud almost as well as a true mud tire, decent weight

No centre knobs (slower and less durable for asphalt and hard stuff)

For the time I've had them, the local trails (MUTs and singletrack in condition to be ridden) have been quite wet - either snowy, slushy or muddy. The Slash has hooked up very well and has given very predictable steering in all the conditions while clearing everything with ease. In dry sections, they continue to grip well. If you get pushing them hard or things are really slick, they give good feedback prior to completly washing out.

The lack of a centre row of knobs slows them down a bit on asphalt, but they roll at least as well as the Panaracers. May wear quicker if you do more street stuff because of the open tread and no centre knobs.

The Protection sidewalls are great running tubes, but they are not as Stan's friendly as they could be...then again, not all regular tires run Stan's well. That being said, the folding tires are pretty light for the size and volume, even when running tubes.

I got them on sale at the LBS, which made them a great value (cheaper than the Panaracers) and they have been doing amazingly well considering the mucky abuse I've thrown at them so far.