Continental Race King Race Sport Tire

Race King Race Sport

If you're anything like us, you secretly bask in the enjoyment gleaned from dropping the hammer on your buddies. That's why you should make it a little bit easier on yourself with the Continental Race King Race Sport 29-inch Tire. Utilizing the blindingly fast Race King tread pattern, and a super...

Cal   [Apr 25, 2015]
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance. Decent traction. Light.

Very weak sidewalls. Even as a race only tire, I would not recommend this. Maybe the protection version is better.

I raced with 2 brand new Race King Racesport 2.2 tires. Got a 2 cm slash in the sidewall going up a fairly smooth climb. Put in a tube, then 30 minutes later got a separate slash and my race was over. Don't make the same mistake I did.

h82crash   [Jul 14, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight, good grip

Thin carcass, for race only (unless you're rich and want to replace every 60-90 days)

Was setting up my Rip9 to be as light as possible. This tire is very light and it ran tubeless fine. Stan's is not good for any tire so no surprise it didn't work for this one. Read up on home brew sealant. Also, on any thin cased tire you should coat the inside with Shoe Goo thinned with toluene. Just paint it on paper thin.
I run this tire at 20 psi in front and 30 in the rear. Wash out is controllable and, of course, most likely in corners with loose material on top. I've never been as fast than on these tires. I think the right pressure is the key. That said, I think I'm going to try a slightly knobbier tire for the front. (X-King)

Not sure how people are riding to tear the sidewall so quickly. Perhaps a bit more attention to a good line would help. I got about 300 miles of heavy, stream bed, rock garden use and started to see the threads on my sidewalls. So, this tire, as the name implies is for race day. I moved up (or down) to the standard Race King. Only slightly heavier and a thicker sidewall. 2000 miles on it and still going strong.

Jcurriergws   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2013]
Strength:

They roll fast and they corner well. Tread wear seems to be pretty good, but I'm not really sure because I haven't had, and won't get the chance to see. And I won't buy another set to see.

The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing abrades too easily.

The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing frays very easily. You can get them to run tubeless but buy stock in Stan's before you do. They bleed immense amounts of sealant through the casing. I found that 2 oz of Stan's followed by another 2 oz about 12 hours later worked pretty well - for a while. Then you scrape the sidewall against a rock and you're back to square one. I gave up on running them tubeless.

Oh, and did I say they are not much better running tubes? The sidewalls and casing are simply too thin and weak. If you ride in any rocky conditions what so ever the sidewalls are going to self destruct. There is simply no protection for the casing.

They might be alright if you never ride a real trail, but my guess is if you have these tires you are probably expecting to encounter a rock sometime. Then all bets are off.

Similar Products Used: Lots
Jamesm925   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2013]
Strength:

none. total waste of money

lets see:

they refused to seal up, even after using 3.5 oz of stan's.

they weeped sealant constantly and lost an average of 20 PSI over 4 hours, causing me to blow through CO2 cartridges like they grew on trees.

rear tire sidewall was showing threads after my first ride (50 mile ride through rocky front range trails--heil and hall ranch).

rear tire suffered a side wall puncture on a seemingly smooth section of trail.

tire rubber feels almost 'too soft' and smooth. compared to my maxxic ikon EXO's, the rubber on the race sports just doesn't seem strong or grippy at all. in contrast, the IKON's are sticky, tacky and durable.

these tires came w/ my bike.

They absolutely SUCK when mounted tubeless. The sidewalls are extremely thin and weep sealant all day long. You will lose tire pressure in the figure of 20 PSI every 4 hours until you add 3-4OZ of stan's sealant. I tried every tubeless trick in the book to distribute the sealant, and still couldn't get them to hold pressure after a week of use.