Continental Edge Tire

• Foldable Kevlar bead
  • DuraSkin sidewall protection
  • Puncture-resistant rubber compound

CoconutFish   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2009]
Strength:

Race-Proven grip on wet and muddy conditions, Fast Acceleration on climbs.

Duraskin doesn't work that much, the middle tread wears fast.

Bought the Edge 1.9 wirebead at a discounted price... and was able to use it for around 7 months as a great rear tire for XC Races as well as mild to aggressive trailing.

The Edge 1.9 provides good grip on wet and muddy conditions as well as providing race-proven fast acceleration on dry conditions, especially on uphill climbs.

Although sadly it would've been great if the Edge came on a larger carcass such as 2.1 to match with grippy power of a front Mountain King 2.2... also Duraskin doesn't work that much as my Edge's middle tread is already bald after 7 months of use.

Similar Products Used: Continental Mountain King 2.0 (wire), Continental Speed King 2.1 (wire), Kenda Small Block Eight 1.95 DTC (folding),
ovbc   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2009]
Strength:

The Edge is a very good straight line climbing tire. It does well in the soft stuff (1.9 littl'en). Its main strength in my opinion is that its a fast rolling tire choice when fretting over the need for speed and traction at the same time.

The Edge has a hard time taking to Stan's in my experience. It will set-up but it took twice the amount of the liquid to finally seal it and still it will roll a little bit at low pressure, wedging dirt between the rim and tire and ruining the seal. The Kevlar casing has frayed a little bit but not to failure

The Edge is really a very good tire. I set it up as a rear tire and wouldn't think anyone would want it on the front. I am surprised there are few reviews on it. When I set it up Stan's I had problems with it rolling under cornering tension at high speed. Thus it wanted to collect a little dirt between the rim and tire and break up the seal. However, this was somewhat corrected with more pressure (you can run ridiculously low pressure with Stan's specific wheels and not all tires work well this way). Set up with tubes on Bonty X-Lites it works a little better reliability wise. Either way I have had no real puncture pitch problems with it and the tread wear is acceptable at 2 years in. As far as performance it has handled everything I've thrown at it. It serves best as a wet terrain tire and climbing tire. Dare I say it is a excellent slow speed technical switchback climbing tire. It wishes to settle into the ground and grip tight as you shift your weight into the seat for traction. The sidewall knobs are aggressive and so it cambers well in all but very loose rocks or powdery dirt. It seems to do pretty well in dry conditions and ultimately it's a very fast rolling tire for the tread style. Cornering? Seems to be on par with a 1.9 footprint. Rocks? Same thing. Predictable although it's not really a rock hopping tire. I am a Conti fan so I use a lot of their tires. The Edge rivals any of their designs in terms of climbing ability barring the Survival Pro which is no longer available anyway. Overall a great rear specific tire for mud and climbing when you don't want to sacrifice speed and rolling resistance. I'm giving it five biggin's because I got it on sale for $20 duckets and I've used it for a couple years on and off without it making me look foolish when the chips were down. I won an XC race on this tire last year due to its climbing ability so it holds a special place in my heart.

Similar Products Used: Recently, Kenda Nevegal Stick E's and numerous other Conti's as a comparison for the rims I set up the Edge's on
MeanBlackBike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2008]
Strength:

Traction even on muddy corners. Light and grippy. Fast rolling and great for XC.

Duraskin seems doesn't helps. Easy wear in the center. Puncture resistance is not good.

This tire is great for races and any XC it grips well it roles fast and lasts like 6 month I just wished to last longer it is expensive - my was Edge Protection 1.9 .
Seems that protection doesn't help and the tire got cut by the rim so it is not in use any more.
Despite this I love it. It is low profile but still can be run with low pressure just not much to get it cut like 2.5 bars.
I used it more on 4.4 - 4 bars but it cut on the rim.
if you wish to ride fast XC and aggressive XC go for it. It worth the prise. Definitely it is not cheap tire for every day ride or city riding. Don't ride much on asphalt it will wear of.

Similar Products Used: Conty Edge Protection, Schwalbe Black Jack, Conty Survival Protection 2.3, Maxxis Ranchero/High Roller/ADvantage/Worm Drive/Overdrive
Psycho Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2007]
Strength:

Good open tread design, decent weight, sheds mud and snow well, great traction in sticky, sloppy Alberta mud and slush/snow

Protection sidewall doesn't like Stan's, no center knobs (only important if you ride asphalt)

I had originally hoped to set these up as a tubless tire with Stan's, but I found that the Protection sidewall is a little too porous to work well. I gave the tires a good chance over several weeks to finish sealing up, but no go.

Other than not liking Stan's (and not all tires do), I must say these tires hook up extremely well in the late winter / early spring conditions I'm riding in. Although they are not a mud specific tire, they clear very well and can paddle through mud that would have otherwise stopped me cold.

If you ride these on the asphalt, they do ride on the slower side as they do not have central knobs or a centre tread band for that. Off-road, they hook up well and corner predictably. The folding tires are respectably light (same general range as the Panaracers)

I got mine during a tire sale at the LBS, which made them that much more of a great deal.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Bontrager ACX, Bontrager Jones XR
Adrian   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2006]
Strength:

The ProTection Edge tyre is great at climbing even in the worst conditions and provides great grip on the downhills. Generally the tyre provides great traction and control on all surfaces, really cuts through the mud and is confidence inspiring.

Nothing major

I moved over to these tyres for the winter and have been taken back by the difference they've made. Upgrading your tyres for winter is not the cheapest thing to do, but if you want to really enjoy your time on the trails, I couldn't recommend it more and the Continental Edge is a great tyre to go for.