Continental CrossCountry Tire

Continental CrossCountry Tire

Continental's CrossCountry model comes in two widths, 1.5" for unsurpassed speed, lightness and mud clearance; and 2.0" for extra rubber when you need it. CrossCountry's tread blocks features water-diversion sipes, reshaped chevrons for improved penetration and enhanced self-cleaning, with a more aggressive side profile.

• 26 x 1.50 440 grams (wire) 390 grams (Kevlar)

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 28, 2012]
    periwinklekog

Strength:

Using the same singlespeed mountain bike for both short-track and cyclocross, I've used the 1.5's for 'cross season and the 2.0's for short-track. They roll fast and so far no flats on either width. An excellent tire if you insist on running 26" wheels. Although people say this is a muddy conditions tire I've used it successfully on drier courses with lots of loose, chunky clods of dirt. Good traction, amazingly low rolling resistance for the tread pattern.

1.5's no longer made and getting harder to find.

I love this tire and have stocked up on a couple extra sets of the 1.5 because they're no longer made. You can still get the 2.0 and it's a fine tire for tacky or muddy conditions. Kinda spendy but Contis are usually worth it.

[Mar 21, 2010]
    williesurvives1

Strength:

low rolling resistance

flat easy

they roll fast but flat easy 2 years of riding them and one is shot has a bubble in it

gonna try Maxiss tires

[Dec 01, 2009]
    CoconutFish

Strength:

- Long lasting tread
    - Fast acceleration on wet to mucky conditions
    - Digs deep and still takes total control of the terrain
    - All-arounder, with total rolling resistance
    - The Perfect Rear-Tire

- Weak sidewalls... but still lasted 1.9 years of use
    - Expensive
    - Hard-to-find / Hard-to-Acquire

I had this ordered from Newtons a few years back and used it on some occasions especially during wet and rainy conditions... and on one of my favored trails, La Mesa Watershed.

The tire lasted me 1 year and 9 months before it died down on me. It was the perfect muddy to mucky tire that would dig deep just to get enough traction to push it forward aggressively. The knobs on this tire are strategically places to provide perfect acceleration with superior grip that I haven't found on any of the tires I have tried. Even the Continental Edge 1.9 doesn't come close to it even if it has a large carcass compared to the CrossCountry's 1.5.

The only problem is its hard to acquire in my area. That you have to order it from the distributor to own one.

Bottomline, I would recommend this tire to all those wanting the perfect grip on wet, muddy and mucky conditions. This is the perfect-rear tire.

I just hope I can own one again.

Continental Speed King 2.1 (wire), Continental Mountain King 2.0 (wire), Continental Edge 1.9 (wire), Kenda Small Block Eight 1.95 DTC (folding)

[Oct 13, 2008]
    illinihand

Strength:

Great Tread, fast, long lasting, great all around tire.

Side walls wore out but that was after 13 years!!!!!

These are my favorite tires ever! I love riding thin tires, I feel like I am much faster and never have a problem on trails. I bought my first pair of these when I was in Jr. High School in the mid 90's. I quit riding for 13 years and have now come back to it. I found these in my parents garage and put them on my new bike and have been riding them for the last 2 years. The side walls are finally wearing out so I am going to get some new ones but I love these tires. My first set was a wire pair so now I am going to get the Kevlar.

[Jul 17, 2003]
    Dave

Strength:

Low rolling resistance, lightweight, great off-camber and mud traction.

Get's funny looks bacuase of it's narrowness.

I won my first race with these!

There has been nothing but rain all season and wanted to get setup with a mud combination and I had heard that an extremely narrow rear is actually a good thing in the slop...it will dig down to the hard surface and grip along with maximum clearence in the chainstays for mud accumulation. This proved to be surprisingly true....they even gripped wet grass.
    I ran this as a rear-only with a WTB Velociraptor in the front. Pumped the contis to about 55 lbs. and the WTBs to 40. I'm a heavier rider so drop 5 lbs off both if you are under 195 lbs.

The day of the race, the sun came out and baked the course so there were only a few muddy sections that these handled well. The course had rutted out sections where I gripped the sides instead of bobmbing the middle and this combination held the off-camber wall incredibly well.

Running that narrow tire deifies logic. But they work really well.

Panaracer Fire XC (great all-around tire), Panaracer Trailblaster (flat monsters), WTB Velociraptor (great)

[Mar 24, 2002]
    karl

Strength:

Weight, traction, rolling resistance

Spring weather is drying the trails enough for these to be replaced with semislicks...
    but what's the point when they are so light, have low rolling resistance and great traction for the ascents?

Did find I had to pump the rear one to 60psi to prevent pinch flats on my hardtail, otherwise they're surprisingly touch for such a low weight.

You know when you're coming out of a muddy rut and the rear tyre slips 'til it grips? -not with these, the side knobs really grab.
    Great tyres.

[Aug 07, 2002]
    Maz

Strength:

fast and lite hooks up on anything

sides kind of fade away

Nice and fast tire that hooks up real well in most anything.Walls are a funny kind of beige color and fade away. they not so much split or pop but mine just started to unravel......bad news. still I got told theyre out of production the 1.9 that is so I only paid $18..hey what dye expect.

Panaracer. Bonti. WTB

[Aug 11, 2002]
    Jon.B

Strength:

This tire is fast and holds a good line. The tread last a long time and is deep for a Kevlar tire. It has a nice "feel" on the trail.

A bit thin and the sidewalls are not made well enough.

I am only writing because I have read some of the reviews here and I have had the same problems with the side of my Contis giving out. Down here riding conditions are different from the west coast but that seems to make no difference to the durability. Apart from the sides the tire is spot on and surprised me because it could hold a line even with lateral pressure which you wouldn't think looking at the tread. A shame about the sides they should be manufactured much better than that.

Bontrager:Hutchinsons:Tioga:Nokian:WTB:Panaracers.

[Aug 08, 2002]
    Dan

Strength:

Great tread, lasts a long time and digs in good. Great back tire.

Weak sidewalls.

The tread on these tires is real good it hooks up in most conditions and can cut it in bad mud and loamy soil. Not so good on the front it needs a front specific. Sad about the sides mine split clean out of nowhere! Still no idea what happened. Seems there is some kind of fault but I guess after 2 years Ive got no gripe. A real shame thou there was loads of tread on this one cos I hadnt used it much, 4 flammin turds for great tread but I guess only 2 for weird sidewalls.

WTB, Bontrager Jones, Tioga, Hutchinson, Onza.

[Aug 09, 2002]
    Louis

Strength:

The 2.0 is good and works in all conditions. Not as lite as the 1.9 but like the Man said my 1.9 blew the side wall out but the 2.0 is different.

A bit heavy and colud roll better.

There are a few Cross-country tires and this is for the 1.9 & the 2.0. The 1.9 is better, superb tread that grips in anything with low rolling resistance and lite in the Kevlar. The side walls disintigrated on me. They are like layers of thin brown cotton that unravel..........strange. The 2.0 is sorted on the walls so Continental sussed the problem, but it dont roll as well. The 2.0 is heavier and the feel is heavier but its reliable. A good tire but for the back it washes out on the front.

Panaracer Fire XC, Velociraptor, Onza Houch, Ritcheys