Continental Avenue Slick Tire

Continental Avenue Slick

HaveBlue   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2011]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance; grip; high pressure

Sidewalls; square profile

If these were on sale and I could still find them, I'd probably purchase another one. I had this tire mounted on the rear of my 1996 Trek. It lasted 653 miles with only one flat. It still had plenty of life in it, but a piece of glass cut its life short.
The squarish profile always looked a bit odd to me, but with high pressure, it handled heavy loads just fine.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Fatboy; Forte Metro
lew242   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2010]
Strength:

Long lasting, quick, good in rain.

So slick, useless for anything other than pavement. Could be narrower if road use only. Still made? These days many other tires do this job, and roll as fast or nearly as fast on road, but aren't suicidal off road (DMR Moto RT, Holy Roller, Traffic etc).

I had the version that was handmade in Germany. Great tire strictly for street use only, smooth and fast and great for leaning.

I'm much more into dirt than I was when I bought these, so nowadays I'd want something that could do at least hardpack/loose over, so for me a traffic 2.1 would be my choice these days. Or get a race bike.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis High Roller, CST Maverick, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Prowler, DMR Moto RT, DMR Moto Digger, plus more
nomadrider   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2009]
Strength:

I have own and still using a set of "Avenue" tires on my bike. The rubber compound not too sticky on the road. I been rotating tires in the ten years of riding a single-speed. I have only one tire to replace, impressive tire.

The side-walls like to string-up between the rim and tire

If your train or ride your bike for a daily commute, a set of "Avenue" are a good investment. The rubber compounds in these tire are fun to ride on.

Similar Products Used: tioga tires: full slick.
robert mcdonald   Racer [Jun 11, 2007]
Strength:

Loasdagrip in corners
good wet weather performance

SIDEWALLS !!!!!!!!!

Brilliant tyre for commuting, few punctures on Glasgow's glass strewn streets but , oh dear, those sidewalls are sooooo prone to exploding even when carefully cleaned and never having had a brake block anywhere near them (disks.

I've run several sets of these over the last couple of years and lately the Ultra Gator Skins cos they were promised to have more sidewall protection - they DON'T!!!!!

There have been many many complaints about these Conti sidewalls and we all appreciate the need for supple sidewalls in fast tyres but for a tyre to fail when only half used makes these cost about 40 uk pounds (80 dollars!) each.

I can hardly believe that Continental don't read the reviews of their products but the obviously dont.

Similar Products Used: Specialised Nimbus etc
Ross   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

Can't think of any, seriously.

Bad shape, e.g. squarish.
Weak construction.
Crap grip in the wet.

These are my first set of slicks, I got them for daily
exercising on the road. Well they fell apart after less than 60km's, the tire wall seperated from the bead and
the tube burst through. I was running them at 70psi which
is under there specified limit. They were seated properly
and I can't see any reason for this to happen other than poor workmanship. I'll be bringing them back to try for a
refund and I definitly will not be buying continental again.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos,
Michelin wildgripper,
various others.
Per   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Rolling resistance.Grip, both wet and dry.

None so far.

I have only tried these slicks but i like em enough (Contis) to buy them again ,and to recommend them.And so far they have no cracks,seems to last good to.

Similar Products Used: Nokia City runners .Mine started to crack after 4 months and wet traction are crappy.
Walter   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2001]
Strength:

low rolling resistance.
slick looks.

after about a year the rubber that makes contact with the rim hardened and the tire wont stay in place anymore. it doesn't come off (real tight fit), just wobbles about. after breaking hard with the front brake I need to deflate, align and inflate the tire. starts to make skweeky noises while riding. definitivly a big mis. just as the automotive tires they produce.

hand off!!

Similar Products Used: panaracer slick of some sort, about the same age, MUCH better.
Ant Archy   Racer [Jul 25, 2000]
Strength:

Its got a low rolling resistance.
Grips well
Looks good

Tight fight on rim!
Sidewall a bit thin and exploded after a year

These tyres are pricy and give a good ride. The rolling resistance is low and the grip is good. I had big problems putting the back tyre on the rim, because it is such a tight fit and I broke lots of levers. The inner tube exploded through the sidewall of the tyre when I inflated it to 5 bar (75psi). That is not good, cause you want a tyre that can take that pressure if you are doing road training.

Overall it was a good product with little weaknesses.

Similar Products Used: IRC Metro
Spesialized Fat Boys
Anine Swart   [Mar 26, 2000]
Strength:

very low roling resistance.
can inflate to 5.5bar
very tight fitting tires, wont blow off of the rim
seems puncture resistant

very tight fitting tires... snapped a plastic tyre lever on first install. (see below)

I bought these for hybridizing my yukon and immediately felt the difference in rolling resistance.
Tyre is puncture resistant and I've only had one rear flat from a protruding glass shard on the tarmac.
I've had LOTS of trouble mounting the tire true on my rims because they are so tight fitting.
**HINT** lube the bead with some liquid soap before you mount them, this will make it easy to get on and off.
overinflate the soapy-beaded tire inf you have trouble getting them mounted true... they should *pop* into place at about 6 bar.

Barrie   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 1999]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance
Low weight
Available in 1.3
Puncture Resistance
Reasonable price considering the quality

Can wear quickly with excessive road use
May need a tire with more grip in wet weather

I bought a pair of these to escape the sluggishness associated with knobbly tires when commuting to work (about 60 miles a week). I noticed the difference immediately as the bike went much faster. I have had the tyres for over four months and so far I have had no front punctures and a few at the back. However the roads in South London are strewn with debris and frequent punctures are the norm. I have also noticed that their are a great deal of small nicks on the surface of the tyre when material which normally would have punctured the tyre did not get through to the inner tube. I am very pleased with these tyres as they put up with a great deal of abuse. I only have two complaints, firstly as a brake repeatedly on my journey to work this took its toll on my rear tire which was bare in under two months. I guess this is the compromise for low weight. Secondly with the recent spate of wet weather in London I have found that the tires do not grip well enough in heavy rain. I would certainly recommend these as an excellent commuting tire and I was so pleased with their performance that I replaced my rear tyre with the same product.