Bontrager XR4 Tire

XR4

Light and fast rolling. Designed to out-corner any other tire on the market. Engineered for XC and Trail riders in loose and rocky conditions. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee. Available in 2.20 or 2.35, wire bead, 60 TPI.

Vuco   All Mountain Rider [May 30, 2013]
Strength:

Great all round traction and grip, work an all terrain for now, dry or wet

none so far (don't know the weight)

Came on my new Slash 8 2012 (should be 26x2.35" Expert issue). Thought I'll throw them away after the first ride and put on my trusted Schwalbe Albert 2.35, but they gave me a lot to think about, and for now - they have been remarkable in every situation.

Since the weather this year is not stable, in first 5-6 rides I got to run them in the dry and in wet, hard pack or loose soil, and specially in muddy conditions.
Rear tire has great traction while climbing and feels like no addition drag exists. If you keep spinning, they get you to the top and thats what it is all about. Wet rocks and roots also great (there are probably some tires that are better than them in the muddy conditions, but as all round tires, the Bontragers are worth every penny). Really, no whatsoever drawbacks or negatives up to date. Didn't even had a snake bite or a pinch flat (run them with tubes for now).

In the front also 5+. Braking, cornering great (don't like when tires get loose if you lean and then get the grip back as you get the side knobs in action), riding on wet roots and stones without a hitch. In muddy conditions the front slides but gets you in the direction you want.

Can't find a fault for now. Hope the rest of the Bontrager parts do as the tires (khm, wheelset).

Cant say nothing about durability since I'm ridding them for a month only. But for now don't see any fast wear on the rear especially.

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe Albert 2.25/2.35, Continental Rubber Queen 2.2, Geax DHea 2.3, WTB ExiWolf 2.1 (the best rear tire I had up to these Bontragers)
Dante M   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2013]
Strength:

Long tread life (I'm on 4 years), ridiculously smooth and grippy cornering on DH pavement even in wet, controllable on dry dirt DH corners, OK for wet sand or mud, very fun in the snow. The tread, despite being ripped up from years of shredding will still cruise through the city smoothly, love these tires!

Thin side wall for DH, perfect for XC.

I would buy these tires again and again. Definitely for XC or DH mountain pass pavement runs and not hard core DH bike stuff as the sidewalls are thin. But this thinness is what allows the tire to be so light.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC Pro (which were better at uphill gravel climbs)
Rafael   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2012]
Strength:

Good rolling and fast tires. High volume, good for trail riding.

Weak side wall, hich punctured easily.

These came standard on my 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8, which I have owned for 8 months. I have been using them tubeless and running them at 36 PSI on the rear. Somehow the rear tire sidewall punctured after a small drop (don't remember hitting a rock). The thread is still good and I don't want to run different tires so I will give it a second chance but it seems that the side wall might be too thin. Will post again.

Similar Products Used: Several WTBs
jeorge   [Jun 08, 2012]
Strength:

F@#K these tires. The knobs and compound is too soft. Washes out OFTEN! Does NOT handle loose or sandy terrain. Does NOT feel confident ever!

F@#$ these tires! BURN EM!

Similar Products Used: schawalbe, kenda, intense, continental,
chichantes   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Grippy. Great traction

A tad more rolling resistance than my old Maxxis.

Came stock on my 2012 EX 8. I do not plan on changing until they wear out, and might replace with the same thing.

jasonsmeall   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2012]
Strength:

Amazing grip, you don't feel any rolling resistance, look awesome on the bike!

Only thing I could say negative is the weight, they could be a little lighter.

I love these tires, purchased Bontrager XR4 26 x 2.20 at the start of the season. Currently have just short of 400kms of quick XC riding on them. I am now given the confidence to throw the bike into the corners, even a sandy one and push myself harder then I ever did last year! The more I ride on these tires the better they feel! These tires have helped me have the second best time on a segment on Strava, only to be out done by a Pro Rider / Racer by less then 25 seconds. Overall I would recommend these to anyone looking for a tire with great grip, yet not a huge budget maybe not the first choice for someone that wants a really light tire. Bontrager tires will be the first company I look into when I need to replace these XR4’s.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinton Bulldog 26 x 2.21
RCOSpeedwagon   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2011]
Strength:

Tire bead makes installation and removal quite easy. Rolls quite well and is relatively quite on pavement considering the substantial tread.

These tires do not perform well when wet. After water crossings, the tires slip on dry rocks and dry roots far worse than any tire I have used in the past (using this tire as front and back). Additionally, picks up and retains loamy and muddy soil, i.e. does not shed well at all.

Bought these tires to get by for the rest of the season. After this season concludes I will be searching for a new tire setup and put these on my spare bike. I would not recommend these tires.

Similar Products Used: Specialized S-Works Purgatory, Specialized The Captain Control, Panaracer Fire XC.
Orembiker   Downhiller [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

Not a whole lot of rolling resistance

Weak Sidewalls, bad grip on dry dirt. Consistently washing out and pinch flatting.

I'm searching reviews right now for replacement tires. I'm stick on pinch flatting. I've had to run these at lower PSI because they keep washing out on the cornering.

They seem to do great on the uphill, but I'm not riding uphill enough to make up for the weakness on the DH.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegals, WTB, and a handful of others
stompeinator   Racer [Feb 21, 2011]
Strength:

Long life, excellent grip, durable sidewalls, rolls well for a knobby tire

none so far

Great tire. I've ridden these at whistler, northstar, and climbed thousands of vertical feet with them to reach singletrack. They last a pretty long tome for a rear tire, goin on 8 months and i think i can squeeze a few more months out of them, and they lock up great in most soil conditions. Very predictable tire, highly recommended for all mountain applications