Bontrager XR4 Team Issue Tire

Bontrager XR4 Team Issue Tire

The XR4 is your tire for rough trails, wet or dry. The aggressive tread design with deep, lateral cupped blocks, long shoulder blocks and buttressed tread block edges is ideal for loose and rocky conditions. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee. Available in 2.20 or 2.35, aramid bead, 120 TPI.

[Jun 25, 2018]
Patrick71

Strength:

Low Rolling resistence, light

Puncture easily, not enough traction while cornering, slippery, tearing knobs, not durable

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jun 26, 2016]
Cville
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Grip and tire shape

Durability!

I have yet to find a Bontrager tire that the sidewall does not shread and leave you pumping! I had TWO of the XR4 teams get tears right at the bead sidewall junction where they would not seal up if run tubeless. Both occurred after less than 10 miles! Bontrager, stop charging so much crape paper!

[May 16, 2016]
Andrew
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

WOW, fast rolling and really digs in on the corners. This tire came on my 2016 Trek Remedy and I was about to swap them out (stock tires are mostly are poop) I decided to try them out and WOW. I am coming from Butcher and purgatory from Specialized and loved the como but these XR4 TI are impressive. They do slide a little bit but they are very predictable and slide in a controlled manor. I was cornering faster than ever and was just laughing at the speed I was carrying.

Would love a bit tougher sidewall as I am not sure about longevity on rocky descents.

Pumped them up for a road ride as it has been raining like crazy in CO and the trails are closed. It did really good on the road too. Really like this tire I will test them out in race conditions this weekend.

Kendra, Specialized and horrible WTB mutano

[Mar 20, 2015]
lamar

Strength:

great tire, really hooks for me.. i ride muddy , roots rocks and hard trails..

on my trek x-cal 29r the rear tires scrubs the derailleur slightly and gets one my last nerve! yes nerve.. ive tried lower pressure all from 25psi to 50psi.. no change..

nice tire but high $$ and may scrub on other bikes as well.. wish i could have tried it out first

[Nov 01, 2014]
steven eliuk
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Solid front tire in all conditions, lightweight too.

I've been riding for 20 years and this is definitely a go to tire for all conditions. I've heard of people having sidewall issues but myself, or friends, have not experienced.

Little pricey,

Overall, very happy... Only time will tell,

[Nov 13, 2013]
George Mercado

Strength:

Rolling, Stopping, Hook up,Cornering,Climbing and yes Bombing back down......

Alittle pricey but I make good money so not an issue. Especialy for such a great tire.

Awesome allaround tire. I started with the XR3 on my Fuel EX8 and my Remedy 9.8 and loved them until I upgraded to the XR4 Team Issue and man they just blew my mind. Just when I thaught it couldnt get better.I climb and bomb back down and every terrain here in SOCAL and havnt had any issues with these bad boys at all. I highly recommend them......

[Feb 23, 2013]
Herzalot

Strength:

Good traction, light, lasted a long time so far, good-to-excellent cornering, true to size.

I think my beloved High Rollers might corner just a smidge better. Not good on wet roots.

I have the 2012 version - 2.35 on the front, 2.2 on the rear - TLR. Mounted to DT Swiss EX 1750 rim (front) and Stans Flow rim on the rear. I believe the inside diameter is 21 and 23 respectively. I am running medium-weight tubes.

This tire out-performed and outlasted my expectations. I have had it on two different bikes for over a year. Actually, I didn't ride for 4 months, so let's call it 9 months. I normally run 2.35 folding High Rollers front and rear on my Yeti 575. I wanted to try these based on reviews and the possibility of running tubeless (I never did). Climbing traction was virtually the same as my High Rollers. Cornering was similar.

I changed to a Knolly Endorphin recently and have been running the same tires. I have been cornering like a madman on my new ride, and the XR4s seem to be up to the task, even though I bought them over a year ago. I felt compelled to write a review because they are wearing so well. The rear is showing some wear in the center, but it still works well. The front is basically good as new. I ride in SoCal as a weekend warrior - 15 mile rides twice a week in rock gardens and small ledges along with miles of fire-road and smooth single track. I weigh 210 and ride very aggressively.

I can run these with a little less pressure than I ran the High Rollers. (34 rear, 32 front). I have had one pinch flat in the rear, about 3 less than the HRs in the same amount of time.

If you like a Nevegal, these appear similar in design. Bottom line for me is they are light, work well and have lasted a long time. Get some unless you ride wet roots.

Maxxis high Roller 2.35 Folding, Schwalbe Fat Alberts

[Jan 27, 2013]
eli

Strength:

Grip, comfort, rolling resistance, these tires will absolutely keep your wheels on the ground. I have ridden these tires on all the dry, sandy, loose rocks, dusty, and wet boulder trails that Tucson Arizona has to offer. I can't imagine a better tire for grip.

HOLY HELL THE PRICE! At $65 a POP it really hurts the pocket. Especially since the tires are paper thin. I've got +/- 450 miles out of them only a few months, with maybe a few hundred to spare ( as far as tread life is concerned) but I have shredded the sidewalls to ribbons. It's scarry to run these tubeless, they easily burp and take a few days to completely seal. Also run anything less than 25psi and they loose traction and become unpredictable.

WOAH... WAIT JUST A SECOND HERE! There is no way this tire deserves such a high rating. Think about the cost vs what you get. A $65 tire with loads of excellent traction that will last an avid rider 3months tops. The material is paper thin My $25 roadbike tires last well over 3000 miles. That just doesn't seem right. I would recommend these tires as a good front tire and, or, an amazing race day tire ( bring a spare tire)

[Dec 03, 2012]
Ted
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

For me, rolling res. is very good for an aggressive tire, grip , price

None so far

Have this tire on front and rear of my Intense Tracer. Love the tire overall, no pinch flats yet, great grip in the wet, muddy, rainy ,rocky, rooty west coast Victoria weather. Ridden in the dry also with NO issues. Corners well, brakes well. I have nothing bad to say about this tire, and for the $$ pricing isn't bad either. Never had Bontrager tires before, recommended from a GOOD rider at the Trek store in Victoria and will say I am impressed

LOTS OF OTHER TIRES & companies

[Aug 21, 2012]
Jack

Strength:

Good quality tyre for a lower Price than the comPetition. Rolls pretty fast, feels precise when cornering.

I found the 2.2 very wide and too tall for my 717s, so anyone considering these tyres with narrow rims should think twice. I can feel the tyre rolling around on the rim in corners and over root/rocks (feels scary). Probably would be corrected by a newer wider profile rim like a flow or equivalent. I also find the tyre locks up underbraking too easily and doesnt slow me down enough before it locks up. (that might be me being dozy).

Bought these tyres after reading good reviews, they're probably a good tyre if you're running the correct rim/tyre combination.

Highroller exception, specialised the captain control, panaracer razer mx protection, kenda nevagals.