Bontrager XR3 Expert Tire

Bontrager XR3 Expert Tire

Fast hardpack or moist trails are no problem for the Expert with its advanced rubber compound. Look to the XR3 mountain bike tires when seeking an advanced tread and compound that can handle a wide range of trail conditions.

[Apr 04, 2017]
donow
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Pretty good on gravel and dry conditions. Fast in dry conditions.

Sideways traction in wet conditions is poor. Traction in mud is poor.

These came with my Trek Fuel EX 29er. Ive been fairly happy with them but, especially as they have some miles on them, they really do not have very good sideways traction. I have taken some violent falls from them slipping sideways (concussion and broken toe). Beware slippery when wet.

[Mar 23, 2017]
Zoomie
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Nice volume for a 29 x 2.4 (I have 30mm wide rims). Very durable and puncture resistant. In the "lighter" range weight wise than other similar tires

Doesn't track well or hook up in corners, especially in sand or loose over hardpack

These came with my new Trek Fuel EX9. They were the easiest tubeless setup I have ever experienced in a tire. Both tires sealed immediately with a floor pump. The tires have a nice wide volume, true 2.4 but the cornering knobs don't reach down far enough to be effective. I live on the Front Range of Colorado with a lot of loose over hard, some sand, and rocks. These tires are solid, but they don't provide a whole lot of confidence in turns. The front end is squirrely and you don't get the impression the corner lugs are hooking up at all. The rear tire seems to wash out pretty early as well, but braking action is very good on both the front and the rear. Overall, not a bad tire for the price and the weight, but I would only consider it for a durable rear tire as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence up front.

WTB Exiwolf, Vittoria Saguaro, Vittoria Barzo

[Jul 09, 2016]
nelson

Strength:

Good grip, Good technical trail Good size

Keeps loosing tire pressure when converted to tubeless

Came with Trek Fuel EX7 2015. Is this TLR?

[Jun 12, 2015]
Osco

Strength:

Predictable traction, never a surprise.

Can't find them In 2.40" widths

I first used this tire on both ends of my HT to replace the stock set. They worked perfectly for me.
I moved on to a full suspension 27.5 that came with a pair of very light, very fast wearing,very expensive Rocket Ron's.
I put the XR-3 Expert on the front right away and was faster on every trail I ride.
These tires gave good predictable traction on root's and rocks, and were fantastic in sand and pine needles.
They roll like the much lighter tires my Bike came with but give bucket loads more traction.
I am about to wear out the second stock tire on the back and my Bontrager XR-3 out front still looks new....
I will run the XR-2 on the back...

Rocket Ron's, Impac Ridge Pac's, And the super heavy Kenda Nevegal

[Dec 25, 2014]
Uncle Two Dogs

Strength:

Lasted over 500 rough miles, low rolling resistence, tough sidewalls

Squirly in corners when ran on the front and don't grip on wet terrain

XR3 Experts came on my Fuel 8; I set them up with Stans and rode them hard over the past year. I logged well over 500 miles with little complaint except they seem too squirrelly for use on the front. The front tire doesn't dig in like I prefer and they don't seem predictable in knarley corners. Pretty fast and have tough sidewalls, they grip rocks and roots ok on dry terrain, but slip more than I like when its wet.

[Dec 29, 2013]
rockhammer

Strength:

Pretty good for a stock tire. Seem true to size. Pretty light.

Lack grip in wet conditions

Pretty impressive for stock equipment. The rubber is soft and wears quickly. I need wider and chunkier tires for the soft, wet Northwest Fall/Winter/Spring so I will be running the tried and true Nevegal. Lacks that 'bite' needed in the front for good steering. Works just fine in the back though. I will hang on to them and see how they do in the Summer. $50 msrp but probably can be had for much less.

Specialized Fast Track

[Oct 06, 2013]
Mevnet

Strength:

Decent rolling resistance, fairly light, good grip

More of a hard pack tire

Only been using it for about a month, decent grip and rolling resistance. Got a flat on front on my second ride, found a tiny hole in the tube, so probably nothing to do with the tire. It came standard with a trek fuel ex 7, 2013 model. A lot of people replace them with Bonty ex4, I just replaced them with Forte Pishah 2.3. Immediately noticed a higher RR but better grip in loose and leaf covered.
Overall a decent tire, I will give them another chance when it gets drier next spring

Forte Pisgah 26" 2.3, Kenda