Bontrager XR1 Tire

Designed in collaboration with Bontrager-sponsored pro race team riders, the XR1 is an ultra-fast rolling cross country race tire that's ideally suited for dry and dusty condition. Small, tightly spaced knobs provide plenty of fast-rolling traction, while siping (thin slits) across the middle knobs give even more grip on dusty surfaces. Designed for front or rear use.

Cayenne_Pepa   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2016]
Strength:

~ Expert(mid-level) version has beefy sidewalls
~ Low center knobs means pure SPEED
~ Goes tubeless easily
~ Excellent climbing traction

~ 642g weight(XR1 Expert 29"x2.00)
~ Intended as rear tire only
~ Packs up mud.....dry tire only

Frank Stacy modeled this tire after Kenda's Small Block 8, giving it easy speed in dry conditions. He also made the sidewalls tougher, so Marathon racers can reduce their chances of DNFs. Keep this tire above 30psi tubeless and you'll be very happy of its performance in dry, dusty conditions.

Similar Products Used: ~ Ritchey WCS Z-Max Shield 29x2.10
~ WTB Nano 29x2.0
~ Schwalbe Thunder Burt EVO Snakeskin 29x2.10
~ Stans Notubes Crow 29x2.0
raidersroll   All Mountain Rider [May 07, 2015]
Strength:

Great on hardpack dirt, pavement, and gravel

Can't keep up to North Shore trails. Slides out on loose dirt, mud, roots, anything wet or soft.
Not much confidence cornering on this tire either.

Highly recommended if you commute on roads, or established commuter trails, but this is not a trail, XC, North Shore, or DH tire.

I opted for the Specialized Purgatory and Butcher instead.

FLLMTR   [Jun 03, 2012]
Strength:

2.4" is 560g
Fast rolling, outstanding resistant to pinch flats
Very well constructed

Wish the blocks on the edge was bigger for better cornering

I commute on my hardtail bike to work. I also take to the road to ride up to Pompano Beach from Fort Lauderdale. I used to run 1.9" tires under the idea that narrower tires translated to lower rolling resistance. But three pinch flats later, and one dented rim, I decided to try the 2.4" after seeing them on a bike at my local bike shop.

The tires are the widest I have ever ridden. I feel like I am on the Batman Motorcycle when I ride. I run at higher pressures and these tires ride faster and much quieter than the Tomac's I previously ran. I feel less beat-up and have less fatigue on my hands and wrists.

The challenge was inflating these tires. I saw examples where people were able to fill tubeless tires with a floor pump. No such luck. These tires required compressed air. I used 2oz of Stan's on each tire and they sealed up easily without the need of soap and water.

WeakKneedOzzy   [May 24, 2012]
Strength:

Solid grip, nice feel.

Wet trails(muddy).

Overall a solid tire. Very strong and digs in well.

dirtdog   [May 18, 2012]
Strength:

Speed
Cornering traction
Pretty tough
Easy tubeless set up

mud

I used the 1.9s on a hardtail set up rigid for a gravel road race. They set up tubeless very easily on ENVE rims. I am 145lb and ran 22/24 psi fr/rr. Probably could have gone lower, but I didn't have enough time on the tire to be comfortable with lower pressures. This tire is a great choice for gravel grinders, STXC, or dry XC courses. Very fast rolling and they surprised me with their cornering traction.

Michael Eason   [May 17, 2012]
Strength:

light weight, easy pedaling on pavement and dry trails

probably not the best in a lot of mud

I really like these tires. Should probably give them five chilis... They are great here in the southeast. I tend to avoid mud and spend equal time on trails and pavement. I ride a Surly 1x1. Mine need replacing soon. Thinking of trying the Kenda Small Block 8, but may just buy another set of these.

Fruita Girl   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

Super fast!

Mud

These tires have worn really well. They hold on loose corners and in the silt like dirt here in OR, while performing in the rocks. Worked well on a trip to Moab as well. The XR1 feels fast on steep climbs and flies on the decent. Not great in the mud yet are ok in the snow. I would buy them again!

macbugs   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2010]
Strength:

Scary fast - really fast
Very light

Very light

Scary fast tire - almost too fast. Strictly race / event tire
Not ridden yet in mud / slop.