Bontrager XR1 Tire

Bontrager XR1 Tire

Designed in collaboration with Bontrager-sponsored pro race team riders, the XR1 is an ultra-fast rolling cross country race tire that's ideally suited for dry and dusty condition. Small, tightly spaced knobs provide plenty of fast-rolling traction, while siping (thin slits) across the middle knobs give even more grip on dusty surfaces. Designed for front or rear use.

[Apr 06, 2018]
space8stars

Strength:

strengths dry packed trails light damp trails and sidewalks light trail rides

weaknesses wet trails climbs rocks roots they start to lose it they kinda work but not 100% id say about 39% i have about 160 miles 80% sidewalk 10% sand 10% dirt on them the rear tire is done front still seems ok but im replaceing both of them with a set of MICHELIN's Country Grip'R i would not buy a bontager xr1 they came with the bike so cant compailn to much bike is a marlin 5 so just a cheap hardtail but gets the job done

Price Paid:
came on bike
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Jun 10, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa

Strength:

~ Expert(mid-level) version has beefy sidewalls
~ Low center knobs means pure SPEED
~ Goes tubeless easily
~ Excellent climbing traction

~ 642g weight(XR1 Expert 29"x2.00)
~ Intended as rear tire only
~ Packs up mud.....dry tire only

Frank Stacy modeled this tire after Kenda's Small Block 8, giving it easy speed in dry conditions. He also made the sidewalls tougher, so Marathon racers can reduce their chances of DNFs. Keep this tire above 30psi tubeless and you'll be very happy of its performance in dry, dusty conditions.

~ Ritchey WCS Z-Max Shield 29x2.10
~ Stans Notubes Crow 29x2.0

[May 07, 2015]
raidersroll
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great on hardpack dirt, pavement, and gravel

Can't keep up to North Shore trails. Slides out on loose dirt, mud, roots, anything wet or soft.
Not much confidence cornering on this tire either.

Highly recommended if you commute on roads, or established commuter trails, but this is not a trail, XC, North Shore, or DH tire.

I opted for the Specialized Purgatory and Butcher instead.

[Jun 03, 2012]
FLLMTR

Strength:

2.4" is 560g
Fast rolling, outstanding resistant to pinch flats
Very well constructed

Wish the blocks on the edge was bigger for better cornering

I commute on my hardtail bike to work. I also take to the road to ride up to Pompano Beach from Fort Lauderdale. I used to run 1.9" tires under the idea that narrower tires translated to lower rolling resistance. But three pinch flats later, and one dented rim, I decided to try the 2.4" after seeing them on a bike at my local bike shop.

The tires are the widest I have ever ridden. I feel like I am on the Batman Motorcycle when I ride. I run at higher pressures and these tires ride faster and much quieter than the Tomac's I previously ran. I feel less beat-up and have less fatigue on my hands and wrists.

The challenge was inflating these tires. I saw examples where people were able to fill tubeless tires with a floor pump. No such luck. These tires required compressed air. I used 2oz of Stan's on each tire and they sealed up easily without the need of soap and water.

[May 24, 2012]
WeakKneedOzzy

Strength:

Solid grip, nice feel.

Wet trails(muddy).

Overall a solid tire. Very strong and digs in well.

[May 18, 2012]
dirtdog

Strength:

Speed
Cornering traction
Pretty tough
Easy tubeless set up

mud

I used the 1.9s on a hardtail set up rigid for a gravel road race. They set up tubeless very easily on ENVE rims. I am 145lb and ran 22/24 psi fr/rr. Probably could have gone lower, but I didn't have enough time on the tire to be comfortable with lower pressures. This tire is a great choice for gravel grinders, STXC, or dry XC courses. Very fast rolling and they surprised me with their cornering traction.

[May 17, 2012]
Michael Eason

Strength:

light weight, easy pedaling on pavement and dry trails

probably not the best in a lot of mud

I really like these tires. Should probably give them five chilis... They are great here in the southeast. I tend to avoid mud and spend equal time on trails and pavement. I ride a Surly 1x1. Mine need replacing soon. Thinking of trying the Kenda Small Block 8, but may just buy another set of these.

[May 15, 2012]
Fruita Girl

Strength:

Super fast!

Mud

These tires have worn really well. They hold on loose corners and in the silt like dirt here in OR, while performing in the rocks. Worked well on a trip to Moab as well. The XR1 feels fast on steep climbs and flies on the decent. Not great in the mud yet are ok in the snow. I would buy them again!

[Aug 01, 2010]
macbugs

Strength:

Scary fast - really fast
Very light

Very light

Scary fast tire - almost too fast. Strictly race / event tire
Not ridden yet in mud / slop.

Panaracer Dart / Smoke , Specialized Captain's

[Jun 24, 2010]
rideskake

Strength:

Screamiong fast rolling tire

No traction on the front unless perfectly dry.

Awesome tire for the rear in totally dry conditions but just not versitile enough for Michigan riding. I swapped them out for the new Bontrager XR2 and I'm much happier.

Bontrager XR2