Bontrager Select Invert Tire

Select Invert

• Inverted tread for great traction and a smooth ride
  • Connected center tread minimizes rolling resistance
  • Tread design not front or rear specific

• User Reviews (12)

Dave   [Jul 02, 2012]
    Strength:

I bought these around 10 years ago to replace the cheapo nobblies on my cheapo mountain bike. They have been all round excellent in the urban environment I have used them in. Hard and fast rolling. I had NO punctures in all the years I used them until the one I had last year, which ripped the side of the rear tyre. I replaced it with a cheap Decathlon tyre for a year, which was horrible in comparison. This year I did the bike up a bit and put a new pair of Kenda slicks on. These were OK until I got multiple punctures in the back tyre over a couple of days. I had kept the old front Bontrager Invert and it is now on the back and everythings running fine again.

None.

A good value, hard wearing, fast rolling tyre. Particularly if you live in a city with potholed roads, dirt tracks instead of bike paths and broken beer bottles all over the gaff, as I do. The best tyre I've owned and I'm oooooooooolllld!

dphazelwood   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2011]
    Strength:

I've put on aprox 1000 miles on my bike and the tires are still performing as new. They grip well in the rain and in the corners. I commute about 7 miles each way during the week w/ these pumped up to 70lbs and yes, it's a bit bumpy, but they sure do roll well. I have only had one flat in the year I have had these tires due to a poor true job by yours truly. These handle packed gravel trails well too. If you're a commuter, to me, these tires are a viable option.

They might chunk a bit in skids - not that you should be skidding any.

They might not be Continentals - but for the money these tires are worth every penny.

norseman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2011]
    Strength:

Smoooooth roller, great wear

I have ridden these tires for 800 miles with only one flat and that was caused by a screw. I rode 200 miles on the bike with a full load that totaled (counting me) 300 pounds. The tires were inflated to 55 pounds and rode great and very smooth. They handle perfectly at 48 mph downhill on curvy mountain roads and have superb traction in the rain at speed. They honestly make me feel as confident as I did on my Kawasaki street bike. Mount these on a true wheel and spin the tire. You will notice they are razor true as well and well balanced. After 800 miles, the rear wear is barely noticeable and front looks new. The width soaks up the bumps which is nice on a rigid frame. Love em.

Similar Products Used: First "road" tire
    poohed   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2010]
    Strength:

durable long lasting tread, good grip on a multitude of surfaces, grips very well on turns, easy to remove from wheel, rain does not bother it at all in terms of handling

2 flats in three months, grips almost too well on tight turns so that you lose a lot of momentum and speed, not very easy to seat the tire, if you like to stand up and mash the pedals these tires will flex like crazy

you can see a lot of reviewers here have hybrids and that's what i believe this tire is best suited for. It grips well on a variety of surfaces and its tread long lasting. I usually commute at least three days a week and its ok for that but really better off with something that is less likely to give you a flat and the fact that its difficult to seat after repairing the flat puts it out of the question for repurchase. Its not the slowest tire out there but at the same time its not the fastest so if you like to maintain a solid 16-17mph avg you will notice that a little extra effort is required. This tire is just adequate enough for me to keep it on my bike until it wears out but there are better tires out there for the same money or less.

Similar Products Used: other tires
    JonathanD   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 2008]
    Strength:

Smooth Roller, good grip, does well in gravel, great for commuting if you have to go off road just a little.

If your looking to go mudding, then your looking at the wrong kind of tire anyway.

I can do the beginner trails with these tires on. In the 6 mile Frank Park Trail I only had trouble on a wet log and a deep-ish sandy patch.

I have had 1 flat from glass of something that cut right through the tread. I ride these 40-90 miles a week! I am trading them out for something a little more aggressive because they are not so good on steep rutted trails.

For the Money they are FANTASTIC!!!
    I gave them a 4 because I wish it had some knobs around the sides.

Similar Products Used: Bontager Jones
    Lee Murray   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2008]
    Strength:

FOR A FIRST TIME HYBRED RIDER THE TIRE IS GOOD AT STOPPING AND TURNING.

I SUPPOSE 80psi IS THE HIGHEST THIS TYPE OF TYRE SHOULD GO.
    IT SEEMS LIKE A CRUISER ON THE RETURN HOME> MAYBE I NEED TO BE IN BETTER SHAPE> I'M 67.TEN MILES A DAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK WITH A TWO HOUR BREAK BETWEEN.

WILL BUY THEM AGAIN. THE DEALER SAID THEY ARE RATED FOR 12000 miles. HE CHARGES $30.00 EACH. PROBABLY WITH MOUNTING???

Similar Products Used: LOW END BELL 26" & 27".
    nick jan   [Apr 13, 2003]
    Strength:

smooth and fast on the road yet able to handle light trail riding if you are careful. The tread is great in the rain. I was even forced to use them with a light dusting of snow and some ice on the ground and had no troubles. The diamiter is big engough that they can take a fairly good hit without going flat in a second.

they don`t seat on my rims properly, making them one of the probably the most frustrating set of tires I`ve ever owned. Any other tire I put on the rim seats perfectly yet I really have to work at these to get all the lumps and bumps to go away.

The tires have the perfect deamiter, tread pattern and performance, the only problem is the hassle involved in getting them seated. For this reason, I won`t buy them again.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson top slick.
    Don Smith   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Very smooth ride for street. Greatly improved cornering over my OEM tires. First day out matched my personal best on a short 12 mile road circuit I ride. Tolerant of small road debris on street and not wet sensitive. Very resistant to wandering.

Wish it came in a 1.95. Don't buy if you are going to spend time in loose stuff off road.

Strongly recommend to anyone who uses their bike 90% on the road. Makes a great front tire for a larger rear. I've ridden street motercycles for years and the idea of a narrow ribbed front with smooth centered rear is standard. I now run the Bontanger Invert 1.5 in the front with a Bontranger 1.95 Comfort on the rear.

Izzy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2008]
    Strength:

Sure, excellent handling on paved roads at any speed. Quiet, comfortable ride. Long tread life. Seemingly good puncture resistance.

Sidewalls of the gumwall models crack and dry rot within four years. The blackwall models I'm now using seem to have more rubber, flex, and uv-resistance in the sidewall.

A most-excellent paved-road tire. Good on groomed, compacted gravel, too, like the carriage roads of Acadia Nat'l Park.

Cole   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2004]
    Strength:

The difference between these tires and knobbies on the road are amazing. Acceleration is greatly improved and the bike feels much better than with the stock bontrager connection. I even used these on single track and could still keep up with my friends, just watch out for mud because you will sink right in.

none so far, few hundred miles and no flats yet.

Good road tires for MTB that will take the abuse of city curb hopping and can handle XC off road, just dont do anything crazy!