Bontrager Revolt SS Tires Tire

Lightweight and fast XC racing tire – the fastest available in the right terrain

Patrick Scott   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Very fast and incredible in the corners. Great for hard conditions and pavement.

Not good in soft conditions.

Cannot say enough about the speed and durability of these tires. Not going back to nobbies due to the hard stuff I ride on day to day.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer XC Pro 2.1
Ed Ochoa   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

No flats at all, and i have had these tires for 2 years now
good cornering, You should buy these tires if your riding at least 80% of the time in road or regular hard pact sand trails.

not too good on loose dirt. if your just a trail rider, don't even think about purchasing these tires, you'll wind up on your ass.

Real good tires, a little expensive, but you pay for what you get. Like i said before, these tires are meant for someone that rides on road or hard pact sand, they are not meant to be taken off road to a trail, way too slippery.

Ken   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2002]
Strength:

Way fast. Just like there supposed to be. As with any SS you have to compromise control for speed.

Don't even think about taking these into softpack, stick in the hard pack and keep control of yourself on the corners you be ok

Worth the $20 you can find them for now. Its ok to have a set of these sit around for the days you go out on a hardpack trail you know well. No softpack, no screamin downhill.

Similar Products Used: Specialized crossroads, IRC backcountry
jinxter   Racer [Jan 30, 2002]
Strength:

light/FAST/corner well/climb decent

sand/gravel/ (usual ss stuff)

was apprehensive about buying a ss. But after using them only once I am completely sold on them. They corner better than my conti's and my dusters. will use nothing else for hard pack x/c trails.

Similar Products Used: 1st ss used
Aaron   [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

no rolling resistance, surprisingly high grip

hmm, a little twitchy on marble sized gravel

excellent tire. couldnt ask for any better. I bought them hesitantly, i was worried about grip on loose soil and gravel. However, these tires have more than exceeded my expectations. they have a surprisingly high amount of grip on loose ground. Bontrager stated that they would perform poorly on gravel however, i dropped about 5 psi from the front and now they perform amzing. 2 words. buy them

Similar Products Used: kenda kinetics, panaracer fire xc pro
Keram   [Sep 12, 2002]
Strength:

FAST = 0 rolling resitance + Still good off road

I higly recommend this tire to anyone that uses mountain bike to commute on city roads and also does some time on off road trails. I've cut the commute time by 10% by just changing the tire and Armadillo was still slick tire. The problem with Armadillo is that they have cross cuts to get the water out and that causes friction. Revolt SS tire is completely smooth top with knobs on the sides - check the picture. It's also much lighter than Armadillo . Now I can race roadies!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Armadillo
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2003]
Strength:

simply fast.

Wet root = teflon

This bike sometimes doubles as my commuter and these tires (at 60 psi) literally cut 5 (or more!) minutes off a 30 min ride. On the trail (50 psi) they are SCARY fast; but I am not sure if they are just that fast or that they are so squirrelly at speed that you get scared. Seriously, these tires stick to most terrain and have the potential of improving technical speed and DH section speed; however, these tires will not act like your old low tech knobbies. Over dry roots these tires act like knobbies on wet roots. And on wet roots… look out… its like riding on ice. Nevertheless, I have to agree with the Bont marketing dudes in that if you learn how to ride on these tires, you will go fast. There is a learning curve on these tires. If you do not know how they will respond, these tires will put you on your “sit-upon!” But learn the ways of the SS and you can corner on rails and bomb on the DH. Bottom line: Increased speed and the wider grin associated with aforto mentioned boost in speed makes up for the occasional lateral slide on a root. (going to try 45 psi and see if that helps the root thing)

Buy two pair. If you ride on the road, the itty-bitty little knobs will wear in 50 miles. I am not sure though if these li’l itty-bitty knobs matter on the trail. Most likely not.

PS. Misjumped a curb an completely buckled the lip on a (brand new!) mavic 317, yet the tube did not snakebite. Have to attribute this to some black majik in the Revolt tire.

Similar Products Used: Some Krappy Kenda tire
Carlos   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2004]
Strength:

Appear to be well made. Designed for a specific use -- going fast.

Specially important to inflate at least 40 psi -- makes for a bumpy ride. Cannot rotate front and back -- limits useful mileage.

I don't race, just like to go fast for the heck of it, hence my purchase of these tires. I must say, I did not like the rough ride of 40 psi 1.9 tires but am afraid that is non-negotiable. Also, not being able to rotate tire fron-to-back is a minus. On the plus side, these are well made tires and am sure they will give lowest rolling resistance possible. My personal preference is to stay with a good set 2.1s and 30 psi.

Similar Products Used: Geax Hubi 2.0, Specialized Mt. Baldy 2.1
Sifty_B   [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

A semi-slick that I actually like.

All considering, none. I mean, wet roots, sure, but it's half-bald!

I bought this tire to bike tour New Zealand with, but I ended up not using it for the tour and put it on my Cove, it was meant to be temporary because I gashed a hole in the other tire. Hell, man, this tire rocks as a rear tire. (I am still using a FireXC up front) I have hit the rim so many times on rocks and have yet to pinch flat, amazing. It's urban performance is great, and I can do slides on pavement with shearing knobs. And it's fast. I like that it breaks free before the front when it comes down to it. I can handle that. I have found the ultimate combo for me, at least for today, at least for the area I'm in right now.

Similar Products Used: Contis, FireXCs
Jay   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, fast and smooth rolling

Problems with second set blowing off the rim

Light weight and low rolling resistance. They offer more traction than I expected from a semi-slick tread design.

I've ridden almost 3000 miles on these tires (2 sets) with no problems, until now that is. I recently mounted a new set and the rear blew off the rim while inflating, and once while riding. The one that blew off the rim while riding was on flat and soft terrain. Some of the hills I ride on are close 40 mph, not a place I won't blow a tire off the rim. The tire blew completely off the rim, instant and total deflation. The tube rapped around the cassette locking up the rear wheel. After close inspection of the tire I noticed that sections of the bead were missing some of the rubber that forms the bead and locks the tire to the rim, not good.
I've been riding for over 10 years and have never had this kind of problem.
I've switched to Hutchinson, and have not had any more problems.
If you're planning to buy these tires or are cuurrently using them you may want to inspect the bead for damage.