Bontrager LT3 Tire

Bontrager LT3 Tire

• Smooth and easy rolling center section
  • Open tread design for trail use
  • Excellent all-purpose tire
  • Hardcase Plus versions have triple flat protection

[May 02, 2017]
trekbonita
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

everything.

none,

i use it for pavement with 0 complaint, i also use it for hard MTB road 0 complaint, never get a flat. traction seemed a problem, but it wasnt because of the tire, it was because bad skill, if you know how to use your transmission you are not going to have any complaint, remember if you put it too soft for high climb, you are going to stay without traction.

[May 23, 2016]
JBarn

Strength:

Tough, Good for anything ( well almost )

None if used as designed

I've used these now for over 6 years on my commute bike which I log 2-3500 miles a year on. I get almost 5,000 miles per tire and can't think of the last time I've gotten a flat. My ride includes roads, paved trails and some glass trails...lol. It also goes well in snow.
As the reviewed below said "These are a light trail tire, not a mountain bike tire". Well said. Best bang for you buck tire if this meets you riding requirements.

[Nov 13, 2014]
Stopokingme

Strength:

Road and path use. Very low rolling resistance.

Hard Case are heavy.

this is exactly what the LT stands for - Light Trail. These are in no way mountain bike tires, when you take that into consideration, they are great. I use these on my singlespeed for all kinds of general use. Low resistance on pavement. Good grip on unpathed paths. I would NEVER consider using these on singletrack or any mountain bike path - but if you like to go from paved to grass to gravel or side of the road hardpack these are quite nice. Probably good for most hybrid bikes. As for the hardcase, yeah, its definately good for not getting flats, but if you're using these for real offroad, skip the mush more expensive hardcase version and get a mountain bike tire, not a light trail tire - thats just plainnot what these were designed to do.

[Feb 13, 2014]
thomas

Strength:

Very Fast
Dependable
Verstile
Light

Thorns can flatten them

The tires came with my Trek 3700. I never expect much out of stock tires.

Overall the LT3 is an excellent choice. I recently used my 18month old tires at CX and MTB races. For the MTB race, I decided to run them at a higher inflation of 40psi on the front and 38 on the rear. Good climbing, cornering and downhill. They worked out great - very fast - I placed third.

For the CX race I chose max inflation of 60psi for both. Fast around the corners, in the grass and up the hills. I must of ran over some thorns near the end of the race. The front tire started going flat on the last lap. The tire held on almost to the end, but rolled off the rim, so I ran it in for a third place finish. Thorns are a tire's worst enemy after-all.

I highly recommend these tires, and after reading the other reviews, I will keep riding on them.

geax

[Sep 19, 2013]
Chris

Strength:

The Hard case version is cactus proof, great grip, ultra durable

It's too bad that so many people on here have no idea what tire they are running. The original LT3 without hardcase may be a cheap $20 tire but the full hard case is $50 with bead to bead kevlar protection. I've had three sets of hard cases on three different bikes, I live in an area where a normal tire will without fail be flat in 200 yards due to massive goat heads. Over the years I have made a point to try to get a flat with these tires and haven't been able to. I've even run over plenty of cactus and still haven't gotten a puncture. Sidewall rigidity is superb as well, I've run these tires so low they have bottomed out and still no pinch flats.
I had super wide wtb's on my bike before these (they got so full of thorns we had to toss them) and I don't really see any real difference in grip between the two, these do just fine.
Anyone who gets a flat with a Bontrager hard case is having another issue. These tires are harder to mount and it's easier to get pinch flats on installation. It's also likely that there's issues with the wheels they mounted them on, the rim strip could be bad or there could be pleny debris inside the rim that will cause a flat no matter what you put in.
I haven't found a single way to puncture these in a place where literally no other tire will do.
Don't buy a non hard case version and make sure that you actually got the hard case and didn't just assume that you did.

[May 27, 2013]
captain smoke eater

Strength:

None.

Everything, tires came on my wife's 3900 Trek MTB. We constantly get flat tires on the street and trail, just last week the tire came apart completely it was a good thing I saw it before our ride.

Don't buy this tire. Sad to say since I'm a trek fan.

[Jul 27, 2012]
SDKmann
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Cheap, puts rubber between your rim and the dirt

Zero braking performance, No grip during climbs, Corners terribly

*THIS TIRE IS NOT FOR TRAIL USE* If you have a commuter bike that only sees off road use when you're crossing berms in the office parking lot, this tire may do the trick. If you actually ride trails avoid this tire like the plague. I bought this tire when the WTB Weirwolf I had for 7-8 years finally lost enough center tread that it needed to be replaced. I only needed this tire to last 1 month but after getting through that month with this tire I am disappointed I didn't get the right tire because I feel like I've lost a month of hard riding. The tires climbing performance is where it falls short the most, something I should have predicted from the terribly designed tread pattern before I even bought it. I now have more wheel slip than when I had the worn down WTBs and I end up having to walk up a lot of inclines. Recently I had the opportunity to ride in semi-damp soil for the first time (thanks 2012 drought) and this only made the weak points of the tire exponentially worse, especially climbing. Cornering performance is not great either thanks to the insubstantial outer knobs and I wash out on a frequent basis at low speeds, Im too afraid to corner at any higher speeds on this tire. During hard braking you can feel the tire flex and lose form and much more room is needed to come to a stop when at a good speed. If I could do it again I would just wait the week for my LBS to order in a new WTB tire for me and I cannot wait until I can ditch this tire, shred it, and send the pieces back to Bontrager.

[Sep 04, 2011]
hokiefyd

Strength:

Low cost, smooth ride, good looks

Slight tread sing on new asphalt, slightly soft feel in hard cornering

This is a very good compromise tire. I bought a pair to ride mostly pavement/hardpack trails, but I live in the Sandhills of NC, so do encounter some deeper sand every now and again, though usually not intentionally. I'm a typical weekend rider, though do try and get out 3-4 times during the week as well. I ride mostly for exercise and enjoyment, never in competition.

Pavement: these tires run very smooth and soft (I weigh 230# and keep these inflated to 50#), though the tread does tend to "sing" on very smooth asphalt. Even inflated higher than other tires, these have a softer ride. These are the first tires I've used that have a thin "skinwall" sidewall, and I think that makes a big difference in the ride. They have a slightly "soft" feeling during hard cornering that brings a touch of uneasiness, though it's certainly not as bad as having true knobbies on the bike and trying to corner on asphalt.

Trail: these do pretty well for being a compromise tire. They're probably not as durable (as far as stick/rut/rock resistance) as a good all terrain tire, but they're not designed to be, and hardcore riders aren't (or shouldn't be) looking at these anyway. They dig through an inch of sand pretty well, and stay well planted on fire roads and gravel trails. They have a nice wide and oversized profile (nominal size: 26" x 2.00") that seems to do very well on all surfaces.

For the weekend or everyday mountain/comfort bike rider looking for one tire that has 80% of the performance you need on varied surfaces, these are a good choice. The low price ($20 each at LBS) is icing on the cake.

Feel good about your purchase, too, because they are branded with Bontrager's "ECO" label, which denotes that 15% of the rubber is made from sustainable or recycled stock. They also note that the tread lasts 50% longer than conventional tread.

Cheap Chinese department store tires

[Aug 14, 2011]
LoganCale

Strength:

Rolls well on pavement for a mtn bike tire. Nice feel, but not too much grip turning.

Flat tire in under two weeks. I purchased the "triple flat protection" to cut down on flats when commuting to work and riding around town. It only took a week and two days to get a flat.

Not flat resistant

[Jul 04, 2011]
David Peck Jr

Strength:

This tires rolls very fast. Does o.k. to well on the hard pack I came with my new Trek 820 (26X2.0)They work well on the road. Low if any noise and no vibration. Only one flat, accidently ran over something on a paved road.

I am new to MTB (2years) with about 180 miles of trail in three months. I have gone down a few times expecting more cornering traction. But I find myself not trusting them very much in the twisty stuff Also on hard climbs the tire spins on me. Wet hard pack to dry is about the same. Good through the sand. O.k. over roots. I have not used them for mud, but I have notice they don't clear out as well as I would like.

These tires are doing pretty well. At my beginner level they hook up most of the time until I start pushing corner speed. Under my weight and rough sections of trails they work without thought. Climbing on some hard pack and roots you can experience slips. They are fast on the downhill with low rolling resistance and preform well on paved surfaces. With stick mud expect some caking.