Bontrager Jones XR Tire

High volume and lightweight

Front and rear specific

Durable 68a hardness tread compound

MN XC rider   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2015]
Strength:

Came with bike. Light. Front wears alright. Grip is fine on hardpack. No flats after 300 miles of riding.

Rear wears very fast. Fill up with mud easily. Very easily. If riding in wet conditions, you're screwed. Rear center nubs gone after 300 miles of riding.

I've had these on a 2009 GF piranha I picked up a couple months ago. It had hardly been ridden and both the front and rear tires still had the nubs on them. I've already had to replace the rear tire after 300 miles it wore so quickly. Still using the front. I had zero flats, ran 28-30 psi and I weigh 170. But the traction was horrible if the trail was damp. Wet rocks and roots made me shiver with fear. And the tires packed up with mud instantly.

bozeorbust   [May 27, 2012]
Strength:

Roll pretty fast for the block and spacing pattern. Relatively light weight for the size/tread design. Great cornering in loose stuff. Plush ride. Best MTB tires I've used.

Only gripe I have is the quick wear of the rear center blocks.

Comfortable ride with good grip and cornering. Reliable grip in loose dry stuff. Light for its size. Back tire wears fast.

steveecrane   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2012]
Strength:

It's light.
Rolls well on a Tarmac road.

No grip in corners.
No grip over roots.
No grip on gravel / shale / shingle.
No grip climbing.
No grip on rocks.
No strength.
Punctures easily at moderate to low pressures.
And did I mention no grip!?

The Maxxis High Roller I had on the rear of my bike was a bit bald, so I thought I'd move the front one to the rear and put the all-but-new Bontrager Jones XR back on the bike up-front as we'd been having a bit of sun (OK, a LOT of sun for the UK in March) and the trails were drying out. Mistake! BIG mistake. H U G E mistake!!!

This is, by a huge margin, simply the worst XC / single-track tyre I have EVER used bar none. I'd rather go out on bare rims, it's that bad! ;-)

Whether on the front or the rear, the bike handles like a dog, skitting, slipping and sliding all over the show. It inspires no confidence at all. In fact, my triceps and lower back are aching from all the tensing up, jolts and over-correcting during a recent 3-hour bash.

Run it at low pressure and it punctures. Run it at high pressures and it has so little grip, you might as well go ice-skating.

Even having it just standing by my bike makes me feel nervous!!!

I guess Trek had a job-lot of cheapies which is why they factory-fitted these circular bits of rubber (I cannot refer to them as tyres - note the correct spelling when using the English language, my American friends!) to Trek Fuel EX8's in 2009 destined for the UK.

The problem for Bontrager is that there is just no way I will ever buy one of their tyres ever again and, when I acquire my next bike, I will ensure the shop changes any Bontrager tyres for anything else. Literally, anything!!!

And the only reason the value is a 2 and not a 1 is because they were free - I want to be fair and balanced ... and this is the only way!

Similar Products Used: Nothing I've ever used is this bad.
chuyler1   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2011]
Strength:

Hardpack and dry granite

Mud and wet terrain

Most reviews jump right to the negative. I will say these tires do have some positives. I have put over 200 miles of New England XC single track on them since I bought my GF Wahoo disc. I run 40 psi and haven't had a single flat. I consider myself an average rider. I do it more for the excercise than the thrill but I'll push the limits of the bike on terrain I know well.

When it comes to traction, these tires excel with hardpack and course New Hampshire granite rock. I have tons of climbing grip when the trails are dry. One might think every tire excels in hardpack but it isn't true. Tires with more aggressive treads tend to wash out under slow climbing conditions when you are putting massive amounts of torque into your pedals. These tires put lots of sticky rubber to the ground and will stay connected even under steep climbing conditions.

However, as many have already cited, these tires do not handle wet conditions at all. They will quickly pack up with mud rendering the tread useless. They will not shed the mud unless you get up to blistering speeds on double track. They will slip off damp wood bridges and logs. They can become downright dangerous over wet roots.

The tire is fun on open double track and great for dry rocky single track. However, after a rain storm, find another tire to ride if you want to push the limits of grip.

DJ Feelgood Phil   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2011]
Strength:

Did'nt wear too much

Grip as much as having some waxed paper around your rims, does not shed mud well, fear roots, rocks, humidity, having to roll.

Awful tires. They came stock on my Fuel EX8 and I have been riding them for 2 years. At first, I tought I was responsible of my numerous falling off the bike, but then I realized that those tires did not help me, in any ways.

First, they have a fear of humidity. At any level. Do NOT wear these tires if you ride elsewhere than in a very dry hardpack trail with no root or rock. They just can't stand facing a pack of roots or a garden of rocks without slipping.

Last piece of advice if these came stock on your bike and if you live in a temperate or humid climate : Throw this set of tires to the garbage and get something else, it will only help you.

Similar Products Used: WTBs, Specialized.
dramsay1996   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2011]
Strength:

fast on smooth terrain

CONSTANT FLATS, wear out quick

These tires are very fast on the road and easy, smooth trail terrain. But take them on a trail and you'll get a flat in no time. Over a period of three months, I went through 6, honestly, SIX tubes because of these tires. I am not happy when I need to make weekly trips to the bike shop to pick up next weeks tube. They also wear out quick, I've been riding them for 3 months and I can see obvious wear on the tread. Don't buy these tires.

photodog   Racer [Mar 09, 2011]
Strength:

Light

Grip

This is for the rear Jones XR.
Work well on smooth trails with tacky soils...but what doesn't? Put them in rocks and you'll tear through them in a single ride so you have to run high pressures. Running tubeless, anything over 30psi and they are terrible but going under that tears out the sidewalls as the casing is wider than the tread and very thin. The casing is 2.2 but the tread is only 1.95 thus the issue. The tread pattern isn't bad, just needs to be wider and have a heavier sidewall. They are terrible in mud, I don't think I've ever seen a tire pack up quicker. But for summer conditions on hardpack they would be a fine choice. I prefer a more durable tire with a bit more volume so I'll stick with the Geax Saguaro or something more along those lines. These would be fine for racing or if you live somewhere with no mud and no rocks.

alonexenola420   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2010]
Strength:

Light?... good for super dry hardpack if you have no thorns or sharp rocks around.. and like riding at 35 lbs of pressure.. (I'm 125 lbs) so you'd probably need 45

everything, first these tires are paper thin and thorns go through em like a hot knife in butter. they don't do well with low pressures.. the clog up with dirt when its barley wet on the trails and If you ride them on the road they'll turn to slicks in 200 miles.

don't buy these..

Similar Products Used: loads of tires from bontrager, specialized, maxis, kenda, wtb..
matty   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2010]
Strength:

Light, fast

Puncture ALL the time,thorns go through them like a bad curry
Wipe-out on hardpack, tarmac

Wish I'd visited this site before I visited the hospital. Took a roundabout at average speed, in the dry and the front end just went leaving me badly bruised. Also on hard trails the front end just slides away, even with as much weight over the bars as possible - scary!

mtrenegade   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

Came with bike. fast.

horrible mud traction, stupid thin.

Might as well remove the tires and just ride on the tubes. Just about anything will penetrate these tires and the mud traction just plain sucks. The only good thing about them is they roll fast on asphalt, but thats not typically what I look for in a mountain bike tire.