Bontrager Connection Trail Tire

Connection Trail

• The best of both worlds, aggressive knobs and a connected center tread
  • Great traction off road and a smooth, fast ride on road
  • 30 tpi casing

• User Reviews (18)

turf   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2008]
    Strength:

Fastest tire I have ridden that's still acceptable on easy trails

Not as good as a slick on the road and not suitable for anything other than beginner trails on a regular basis

I had these on an old DBR with blown forks that I gave away years ago. The bike was recently given back to me and since I now have a couple of decent mountain bikes, I turned the dbr into an errand bike - a rear rack with bag, a big basket up front, rigid forks, platform pedals, a mirror, riser handlebars, etc - everything but a bell and I am thinking about getting one of those.

I ride it around town but there are a few places to go off road including a park that has a pretty decent but short trail in it where I sometimes take one of the other two mountain bikes.

I noticed an odd thing - this jalopy of a bike went much faster than either of the other two, flying down trails with little effort. It did not take me long to figure out it was the tires. True, I do have to get off and push it up a steep rocky rooty section for about 50 feet since the Connection just does not connect that well in difficult steep terrain and especially if it is the least bit damp, but more than makes up for it by going a couple mph faster on the rest of the trail.

I would not use this tire on a trail with any but minimal technical sections, but this is an excellent tire for my purposes of having a tire that is good on the road and is at least much better than a road tire on the trail.

The revelation of how much faster this type of tread was than the knobbies on my other bikes has led me to look into a close tread pattern for one my other bikes - well not this tire of course, but one like the Kenda small block. I am so impressed by how much faster I could go that I am willing to trade some loss of traction for greatly increased speed on the trail. Sounds like a dangerous combination but then I have not had any mtb injuries of note in over a year....

brian T   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2008]
    Strength:

Multi Use Tire,Great roll resitance.Great Price

Loose trails,or mud may cause some sliping

I moved from the Trail to Urban assault due to High Gas Prices,They Work on both, Better on the road and Good on the Trail.$20 is a bargain!I would Buy these again.I ride aprox.5 Days a week.Great tire.

Similar Products Used: Panaracers
    Jason   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2003]
    Strength:

Great for X-Country. Nice on pavement. Cool looking sidewalls.

None really for what I do. I just ride gravel trails and a little pavement.

The thing i like about this tire is that it takes to gravel as well as it takes to pavement. I probably will upgrade to something else (based on what i have read only) when the time comes but their is nothing wrong with this tire if you want a good XC tire.

adrian valella   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2007]
    Strength:

great tire for the price,good on road and off,great grip on dirt

not so good in mud but better than i thought

cant ask for a better tire for the price

Parker Evans   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2008]
    Strength:

They were free with the bike. They slide really easily, if that's what you're looking for. Alright on pavement.

Also like someone above, I was surprised by their performance in mud, considering their performance in everything else.

cornering, leaves, anything wet, loose rocks (bigger than gravel), unsteady going downhill at speed, feels treacherous on uneven downhills.

Like a reviewer above, a fairly small thorn killed my Bontrangers. Which was alright by me.

If they come on your bike? If you don't notice a performance problem or you're cheap (like I am), keep them until they blow. If you ride trails they will.

If they don't? Don't bother.

Similar Products Used: CST Caballero
    Ryan Wiitala   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2006]
    Strength:

Good road tire and moderate performance on the easier trails.

NOT A GOOD TIRE FOR EXTREME TRAIL RIDING!!!

Tread tears off with a little abusive riding but considering what the tire is made for I'm not surprised.

A good tire if you don't plan on riding any advanced trail systems or plan on a lot of road riding. Probably a good tire for most weekend warriors but I wouldn't recommend you like to really shred the rough stuff. I have had these on my bike for less than 1 month and already need to replace.

Similar Products Used: NONE
    Marc   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2005]
    Strength:

Fat tire, good traction, decent speed

slow on pavement, hold sup guck and mud in muddy trails and loses traction

If you want a decent, all round tire that will perform well in rain, snow, ice, and dry conditions, this is pretty good. It is weak on harder trails and mud will build up in the tires, causing you to lose a significant amount of traction. Bad in sand, but I have yet to find a tire that performs well in sand. Great for the begginer in mountainbiking

Mike Gomez   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2005]
    Strength:

great traction, not too heavy, inexpensive

none yet

Great tires for the price. They get the job done. Have had no problems with them. However, if average doesn't satisfy you and if you have the cash, you might want to spend more money on better tires. Otherwise, these tires are great

SOG Recondo   [Jun 30, 2003]
    Strength:

Good grip on many different surfaces.
    Cheap price.

A teeny tiny thorn pierced an underside area
    between the knobs letting out all tire pressure
    in a matter of seconds (from 50 psi).

The rubber pierced by the thorn was less
    than 1/16th inch. It was still stuck in the
    tire and I pulled it out and broke it easily
    between my thumb and index finger. I'm
    surprised sharp gravel didn't pop this tire
    sooner.

The tires are entry level. Don't leave ever
    leave a well-manicured grandma trail!

Similar Products Used: None.
    L.K. Simons   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2005]
    Strength:

Well, compared to the three year old balding Specialized Rockster tires which came on my Hardrock, in a word, everything. They grip pretty well in all but the loosest gravel trails.

They're also quite inexpensive which is good for 34 year grad students without a lot of cash!

My specialized tires were bigger and fatter and looked a lot better on my bike. These look like little girl tires! But I'm quite effeminate and kinda ride my Hardrock like a girl so no worries.

The bottom line is that these tires are way better than my balding rocksters and that they make me feel girly when tearing down the Don Valley. My priority for a set of tires was to ensure that they had a really low rolling resistence, since most of my biking takes place on the hardtop of downtown toronto. They've accomplished this; it's a pretty quick tire with the added bonus of providing decent if not great trail traction.

Seacrest out!

Simon.

Similar Products Used: stock rockster's. I had no idea how bad they really were.