Wheelsmith Spokes Spoke

Wheelsmith Spokes Spoke

Select 1.8 (15 gauge) spokes for more cautious, lighter weight riders interested in buildingThe lightest wheels possible. Wheelsmith spokes do not include nipples 32, 260mm spokes weigh 170 grams Premium, stainless construction by Wheelsmith.

[Oct 31, 2011]
axelbaker

Strength:

Never broken a spoke except through abuse. Made in the USA. Cool looking transition at the butt.

I can never find the XL14's when I want them.

I have used Wheelsmith, DT and Sapim spokes. I probably have built more wheels with Wheelsmith just because I like the look of the butting. Though I honestly can't tell the difference between brands when building a wheel. Even mixed brands on the same wheel.

Really just a good quality US made spokes in just about any style you might need.

DT, Sapim

[Sep 26, 2009]
competcyclist1

Strength:

NONE

I built my front wheel with DT and rear with wheelsmith due to the lbs being out of DT for the rear. 2 broken spokes in the rear already? Front (DT spokes)has not needed to be trued all season!

Stick with DT spokes! Wheelsmith spokes are junk!

[Jul 24, 2009]
pokz

Strength:

XL14's - light weight, nice finish, strong

non so far in perfomance

xl are compared to dt revs, but with a lower cost and weight. performnce wise the revs and xl are the same, it will really depend on the user. for me its a great buy!

availability are limited unlike the revs

[Jul 16, 2003]
Peter None

Strength:

they are some good spokes,stiff,an durable.look good.

none so far,as functions.but i do think they are a bit pricey.

if you want to build some stiff wheels,get yourself some of those good spokes.i just want to mension here,that i was very dissapointed with the niples that i got for those spokes-wheelsmith,again,but they were very soft,didn't fit to my spoke wrench,and the black finish wore of just from lacing and tuning the wheel.that sucked...

alot of other nameless spokes

[Mar 05, 2002]
Nick

I've got about one year of wheelbuilding experience, so I'm still a novice. I've been using DT all along, and just switched to wheelsmith for my most recent build (King ISO/Tioga factory DH). I like how they're sold without nipples, since I have plenty already. The packaging (50 spokes per bag?) is pretty goofy. The wheel hasn't been ridden much yet, but I found building with these to be easier than DT's. Whether it's the material or the black finish Wheelsmith uses, I found that these spokes stuck to each other at the crossings much less than DT's. It made the build a lot less finicky. We'll see how they hold up (the stretching thing in the review below sounds like trouble), but for now, I'm impressed.

[May 09, 2007]
John

Strength:

14g spoke (non butted) Very strong,

None so far

These spokes came built up with my Wolber At-18 rims by Rocky Mountain. The wheels have seen some very strong rides and so far have well over 1000 miles on them. They are laced up to a set of ols DX hubs. The spokes have stood the test of time and are yet to be trued. I would say the combination of a good wheel builder and these spokes are the reason.

DT Butted

[May 28, 2001]
Marcus Van Kommer

Strength:

They don't break too often (that is dependent on the wheel builder though).

The materials they use are soft, the spokes don't go through a Philwood machine very well.

I have been building wheels for about four years (not as long as some, but I have been told by many that I do a damn good job) I built up a set of wheels for a triple tandem. The front with Philwood 14g spokes and the rear with Wheelsmith DH-14 (tandem and downhill spokes). While waiting for more parts to come in to finish the bike build the front wheel didn't budge while the rear wheel the spoke stretched like crazy. The spokes got all soft and the The rear was fairly close to asymetrical and the rear hub was a shimano with very thick flanges. The bike was not ridden either. I don understand it, because I put just as much time into both wheels. I'll stick with DT and philwood spokes from now on.

DT, Marwi, Union, Philwood, Schwinn

[Feb 18, 2000]
Greg Ames

Strength:

Strong and light

?

I have enough fingers to count the number of wheels I've built. My newets wheel set uses Hugi, Mavic and Wheelsmith 14/15 butted spokes. Even a hack like me can build a good reliable wheel with these. They a good combo of light wieght and cost(12 bucks a wheel or so). They didn't wind up much in the building process and have stayed true. Though I have a pretty didicated XC rig I do alot of fun Rec. Riding that puts a little more stress, AKA some jumping and DH,but they have held up great.

DT spokes

[Feb 13, 1999]
Greg
racer

I build wheel for a living and I've switched to the XL 14 spokes for my custom builds. They come in all the sizes I need, are as light as anything else on the market, and are very cost effictive. I've had no breaking problems with them at all.

[May 15, 2001]
Tyson
Downhiller

I've worked at a bike shop for two years and these spokes we don't even use. Personally, I think the spokes are alright but the nipples are the crappiest things ever. They round so easy at high tension it's not even funny. Stick with DT Swiss