Spline Drive Spoke Nipples Spoke

Drive Spoke Nipples

Spline Drive Spoke Nipples

Michael   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2007]
Strength:

The spline interface actually makes a lot of sense. Similar to torx or the 12 point head on an ARP faster.

First, alloy nipple in general are kind of silly. How much energy are you possibly saving over the course of a ride by using alloy nipples Nancy? I've been building wheels since 1989 and honestly only use alloy nips for bling factor. Second, at this point pretty much no shops carry this product. The supply I have I have had since about 1996. Good luck finding them anymore. I am pretty sure the company still exists, but mostly doing MX type products now. Park used to make a wrench for these nipples, but those disappeared years ago

The nipples are great as far as alloy nipples go. I wish they had caught on as the interface is very hard to round off. Even when you properly prep the threads and lube the nipple seat in the rim you still can round off even a brass nipple once in a while. I have yet to round one of these off.

Similar Products Used: DT and Wheelsmith brass and alloy
at   weekend warrior [Nov 13, 1998]

Mine came with the stock wheel, and I didn't stop to check what kind of nipple I had until one of them broke! I mean the NIPPLE broke!!! Whoever say it's gaining popularity isn't riding in New York state. I practically scout out the whole state trying to find a spoke wrench with no success. And believe it or not, many shop employees don't even know where or how to order one for me! In the mean time, I had to put in a regular nipple so that I could ride. But I still couldn't true the wheel without a wrench...In the end, I decided to use my own brain instead of relying on other's (or their lack of) and I easily reached Spline Drive's website, which directs me to their ordering department. I got TWO spoke wrenches in a week for $2.25! I then realized I should have ordered a couple of spare nipples as well, 'cause now I have to carry two wrenches, one for the SD nipple and one for the regular nipple I put in as replacement. What a drag.I think they are no stronger than regular nipple and are not worth the hassle. I have never strip any regular nipples so don't get what the fuss is about. But for the superior service I got from the manufacturer on an otherwise average performance nipple, I give them 4 chilies!

Chad Knisely   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 02, 2000]
Strength:

Allow for increased spoke tension, meaning a more lively feeling wheel.
You are not going to round these babies over.
Never a problem in over three years of use.
The splines make wheel building easier, there is greter variance in wrench positions.
They have not seized on me yet.

None, to be sure.

I have built several wheels for myself and others with these nipples, and have not seen a problem yet. I am going to build a pair of wheels for my wife and I am going to use Spline Drive nipples, they are just a superior design and product. It is about time someone thought of a better way.

Similar Products Used: DT, Wheelsmith
chris   Racer [Sep 12, 1999]
Strength:

everything

nothing

best product in the world they are amazing if u break em u need a diet

Similar Products Used: wheel smith
matt   cross-country rider [Oct 09, 1998]

The guy at the bike shop siad that the spline drive nipples made it easier to build the wheels. It does suck that you need a special wrench, but it doesn't take much to put one in your tool pack. Besides, a lot of shops have em now as these nipples gain popularity. I don't know a lot about spoke tension or radial lacing, I just felt that I'd be better off spending a little more to increase the strength of my wheels (the cool colors helped me make up my mind). I weigh 200lbs and my wheels have yet to go out of round -mission accomplished.

Spunge   weekend warrior [Jun 01, 1998]

I have had Spline drive nips for about two years now. I had my wheelset built up
by Bike Shop Bills. You need to give them a call if you want wheels. Anyway, the nips are great. They are strong and work damn well. My only problem was finding an appropriate nipple wrench. I got my LBS to special order a Spline wrench and after that I could true to my heart's content. Not that my wheels needed truing. They were built by Bill's! These nipples do what they are advertised to do, and although they do cost a bit more than regular nipples, you won't have any problems rounding them out. Its one of the few products to actually deliver on its claims. 5 for the product and 3 for cost. I give em a 4

crunch   racer [Apr 14, 1998]

SPLINE DRIVE NIPPLES are a fantastic creation!! I have rounded off my last brass nipple!! Finally somone has solved my problem. Ihave been using them for over a year now and I now have them on all five of my bikes. They rule! Thank God for aerospace engineers. mondo chilies!!

Tim   cross-country rider [Apr 13, 1998]

It's about time that someone posted a review for this product. Works excellent, allows to get the chi chi
factor of an adonized aluminum nipple, saves the weight over brass, alot easier to bring up to tension with
the supplied spoke wrench and is claimed to be three times stronger than brass. Almost an essential for high
stress and tension radial lacing

Kent   cross-country rider [Jul 30, 1998]

They work well, but my only complaint is it's incompatibility with all
the other nipples. All the trail side tools are built for the
4 sided nipple, so you're out of luck if you happen to forget your
spline wrench on the trail. I've never had a problem with them stripping,
but then again, I've never had a problem with the square ones. I believe
the spline drives are less likely to strip, though. As an engineer, I like
the design, but I'm going back to the standard for now.

Kurt   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 1999]
Strength:

Durability
Allows HIGH Tension
Chi-Chi Factor
Allow Big Dudes to Radial Lace

None. Well, if you're Anal,kinda hard to keep clean

I really wanted to run a swank looking radial laced, black spoked wheelset, but at 195 lbs? These let me do it and with Revolution 15/18's no less. The spoke wrench makes a cool key fob and I always have my keys with me, sooo. My wheel builder barked about the added build time but said they tension up beautifully. Very happy and they've been bomber in spite of my weight and the sky high tension. Looks, Function, Weight. Definitely Five Scottish Bells. If your a clydesdale, forget the brass nipples and run these.