DT Swiss DT Titanium MMC Spoke

• 14 gauge (2.0mm) our lightest spokes
  • MSRP for per spoke with nipple = $3.44

• User Reviews (6)

elousatu   Racer [Feb 07, 2011]
    Strength:

Lightness

Price

I like the idea of Ti spokes, but in practice I'm not sure if they're really worth the expense. I prefer steel DB spokes for the strength combined with TWT Ti nipples to save weight (while preserving strength). Titanium seems much better suited to nipples than spokes.

Similar Products Used: titanium nipples from Titan Wheel Technologies
    Andy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2003]
    Strength:

Reduced weight in the wheels is really noticable! gold ano looks different

From what I understand, DT no longer makes these (replacement issue?)

I picked these up on e-bay since very few people were bidding on them, ended up only costing $54! I figured for that price it was worth experimenting.

I had them built up 2 years ago and have had them trued 3 times since then. I was initially worried after hearing from so many that Titanium spokes are "too flexy" "break real easy" "can't be used with discs" etc. So far, I have broken one spoke, a year after they were built (broke at the hub flange). I had a few spares so I replaced it and have not had any problems since. I weigh about 190lbs. and generally don't hit any jumps bigger than 3-4", I do, however, ride in extremely rocky areas that tend to destroy tires & rims, so I'm just as surprised that they have held up just as well as SS spokes.

I do not notice that they flex more than stainless steel, nor do I notice that they absorb small bumps. I do notice that they seem to roll with less resistance, and others who generally regard my bike as a P.O.S. notice it and comment on it as well.

After 2 years I have reallized that all the people (locally and on MTBR) that "warned" me about Titanium Spokes, probably have never had them or used them. Well I have, and recommend them to anyone that can afford them!

Similar Products Used: DT 14 ga. black spokes
    James   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2000]
    Strength:

Light, durable

Bonds with Al?
    Higher Tension
    Cost

I've got these holding together a set of Nuke Proof (32H) hubs and Bontrager rims that I use for XC riding. On the front nary a complaint. Perfect. The rear have had to be trued once in the 9+ months I've owned them.

I don't notice much, if any, difference between these and the steel spokes that I used to, and still ride.

Pretty darn good considering I'm borderline clyde. (200 lbs +) They aren't cheap, they aren't for people who trash wheels. Like most other things just gotta know your style and what you're getting when you buy. They've worked as advertised.

JmZ

Similar Products Used: Steel Spokes
    Martin Jonsson   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 07, 1999]
    Strength:

Looks really great(Gold anodized), Awesome strength, lightweight.

The Price

I built these wheels myself with Syncros hubs and 517 ceramic rims, i used very high spoke tension, Ive ridden these wheels for two years and i have never trued the wheels and they are still perfect.
    NO PROBLEMS, THESE SPOKES ROCK

Similar Products Used: Most of em
    Atle Kleiven   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 07, 1999]
    Strength:

light weight, cool look, easy to build with

none yet

I wanted a light and durable wheelset, and now I have got one. It weighs 1550 gram total and it was easy to build the wheels. They are solid too, I almost did a whole lap on the backwheel with no air in the tire in a CC- competition, and the wheel managed to survive the beating. I just put a new tube in it and it was as good as new.

Similar Products Used: DT 2.0/1.8
    DT 2.0
    Mark Flanagan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2002]
    Strength:

Light

Cost, Durability

These spokes can be sweet but after years of use I can say that they do have a tendency to break. I recently replaced four of them because of hairline cracks forming at the elbows. Keep in mind that I'm using them with disc brakes and that might be too much to ask Ti spokes to handle. Anyway $4.00 is alot clams for a spoke. Anymore trouble and I will most likly return to the DT stainless DB spokes. The Revolution 2.0 1.5 for example are only slighly heaver.