Trans-X ti Skewers Skewer

Trans-X ti Skewers

DiRT   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2000]

This is an update. I bought another set a month after getting the first, since they're so light and so cheap. But the rear on the first set just snapped the other day. I was cinching down and the handle popped out of the bolt. It looks like it screws in again, rather than welded together. That's a bad design. For $12, no big loss, but now I have this other set I can't really trust. I guess I got a set of lightweight commuter skewers (like I don't have enough of those now)

DiRT   [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

Weight=77g (Ti secura lock version). Secura lock is nice...

Secura lock works, but looks thin and could wear out. Time will tell

So far these work. The lightweight is tops for a QR (none lower except control tech by a couple grams). The Secura lock works, but looks like it could wear out--the slider is plastic and the pin is small. W/o the lock, the QR is the same closure as Salsa or others anyway, so no big loss. The nut is not a two/three finger nut, but a strange round hour glass with ridges. It's fine enough though.

Time will tell how these turn out in terms of durability, as indicated below.

I got them for $12, so I'm not out much if they turn bad.

Similar Products Used: Control tech non QR, Shimano, Mavic composite, Salsa Flipoffs, generic.
James   Racer [Oct 01, 1999]
Strength:

They look cool

They are the absolute worst pieces of crap on earth...ever.

I was in the middle of a race when my rear wheel stopped. I had to stop and i thought my brake was f***ed up but no, it was my ridiculous trans-x piece of s**t that just slipped out. why oh why did i trust that stupid bikes usa spokesman that said they used it on their merlin? I should have been more suspicious of the price, but it's too late. DO NOT BUY THESE QR's!!!!! I'm begging you. one star, only because i cant give negative stars.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt
Jamie   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 20, 1999]
Strength:

uhh the ones I've got aren't QR.

Soft alloy like cheese.

Cheap and a good theft deterrent. Sadly the allen key part is very easy to strip out requiring me to get pissed off. Cheap as dirt though...

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Kore, Mavic, Rolf, and Campagnolo.
Jeremy Schwab   [Nov 30, 1996]

Ahhh! The Trans-x titanium Skewers. I've had two pairs myself and my friend has a pair too. I didn't have any problems myself, because I'm not an idiot and I could see how they work. They have the Secura-lok that you have to release before opening the lever. These are the things that happened to me and my friend: The first time I had them, they were fine. Then I had someone build me a wheel, but when I got my bike back both the levers were messed up. Obviously this person didn't know how to use them and was trying to force them off. He also broke the titanium skewer off, but I don't know how. He replaced it with a regular Trans-x skewer. So anyways, I bought another pair and now they're fine. My friend had the same thing happen to him. He brought his bike to a local bike shop and got his Bomber put on, when he got it back they were busted. The reason we haven't asked these people for replacements is because they are friends and we got a deal!

Rick   weekend warrior [Nov 07, 1996]

I have the cro-mo version of these skewers and never had one single problem with them. I mean think about it, their not $80 Ringle Twisters or the like, but for $20 their light, colorful, and do what they are supposed to. What else do you need?

Bryan Weiss   cross-country rider [Oct 17, 1996]

This is a review of the Trans-X cro-mo skewer not the ti version. While I do believe that skewers or any part that has to do with holding on your wheels should be the place to save weight, these skewers are about half the weight of stock shimano ones. They also cost a third the price of any other aftermarket skewers and you get a seatpost binder. I'm usually not a big proponent of skimping on products when it comes to price but I've been using these for a year and have never had a problem.

Martin   cross-country rider [Jul 19, 1998]

I fell victim to these inexpensive, but really cool looking skewers for my bike. After several wheel upgrades, I had a collection of skewers and seatpost clamps on my bike. I though this could round the look all out. Well, it didn't take 3 weeks before my rear tire was rubbing against the bike frame. I thought it was a wheel trueing or bent rim problem but it turned out to be a bent skewer. So much for cheap components on your drive train. I replaced it with a Shimano skewer I had lying around which has held up great. The front TransX skewer and seatpost skewer have held up fine though.

Scotty the Wonderdog   weekend warrior [Aug 05, 1996]

Wow man look at those bright blue skewers. I bet they'd look really cool on my bike. All the pro's are using those alloy coloured ones and these ones are only 25 bucks. Oh and look, they've got a little locking mechanism so they won't come undone. They'll do me just fine. Think again dopey. Ok so I was sucked in by the blue anodised toys that this Taiwanese company call skewers. I put them on my bike and they looked choice. That's about all they did too. I ran these for about a month when I snapped a spoke one dark evening. I tried to undo the rear one to remove the wheel and snappo the cool little locking pin broke. That was ok cause I couldn't see in the dark so it was my own fault for being clumsy. About two monthe later the delrin bushing started to wear out so I had to make them extra tight. That was when the whole cam lever broke in half. I threw them out after this happened to both. I now run stock shimano steel safe in the knowledge that they'll never break. Beware of anodised toys, they look good but leave you feeling like an idiot for wasting money on them.