Specialized ti Skewers Skewer

Specialized ti Skewers

Ian Bell   Downhiller [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

For the average rider, these skewers will work fine, and they can take on the big mountain, just ride a little conservative.

I stripped out the front skewer after changing a tube.

They're a good product for an average rider and more or less an introductory product. You really have to crank on them and their kind of tough to take off, but at $8.00 per skewer, im not complaining too much. you get what you pay for.

Alec ODoherty   racer [Jan 17, 1997]

light
stupid shape
wear and open by themselves with time

kFanghe   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2000]
Strength:

Light and cheap on sale

Extremely sharp edges that are hell on your hands. Cheezy construction

These skewers are in short bad. Sharp edges rip your palms apart to the point where it's almost impossible to open the skewer. First time I got them they jammed on me, go figure. They look nice and are light but save your money for something better (i.e. Salsa). You get what you pay for, stay away from $19 skewers especially ones called "Specialized"

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, light, looks cool, you can tell people it's titanium, decent levers.

It's titanium, so it's a little flex, I think.

I dont know. I has this on my M2 Stumpy and the back wheel would keep sliping out unless I really cranked down on the rear skewer, which of course isn't good for the hub bearings. The front wheel can have a little bit of flop, but I think the hub is a stronger factor in that. OK, so now I'm back to a steel frame, and the rear wheel isn't slipping out, and I don't have to crank on the skewer. What gives? Anyway - I'm starting to think people's skewer problems aren't necessarily skewer problems, you know? So - these are typical cheap, semi-sleazy Specialized parts.

Similar Products Used: stock skewers
PERCH   Racer [Jan 25, 2000]
Strength:

Looks and Weight

Sharp edges

The rear skewer every time I woulp hammer down would pull the wheel into the chainstay.
Als the aluminum edge where the sit in the dropout completly wore away

Similar Products Used: American Classic, XTR
JoBu   cross-country rider [Sep 04, 1998]

I, too, bought these skewers out of Supergo on close-out $19. In fact, I've bought 3 sets for 3 different bikes. Sure they have sharp edges but hey, so do the trails. If you are such a pansy that you are worried about the edges of these skewers, maybe you need to be riding along some nice paved bike paths with the other Huffy-people. Get real folks, this is mountain biking (or at least trail biking here in FL) and it's not for the weak. These things rock.

Todd   cross-country rider [Aug 24, 1998]

I'm another person that got these for $19 from Supergo. Yes, they are light and cool looking. And they have sharp edges, but so does your crankset, just tuck into a ball in a crash and protect your vitals. But...there was a crash I had where the rear wheel came out of its dropout and FUBAR'd my rim pretty bad. I thought I might have neglected to properly tighten the skewer cam but now I wonder if it didn't just pop open on its own. Four chilis now, but if it happens again, screw the chili system, we're talking litigation!! P.S. Don't even pay $70 for skewers, even if they've hung in the Louvre! They're skewers!

Doug   cross-country rider [Mar 03, 1998]

these came stock with my '95 S-works and while they are light and cool looking they function like junk. If you attempt a sprint the rear tire will twist right out of the frame and rub
against the chainstay. The same goes for their cool looking seat binder which functioned in much the same way. I replaced these with a simple inexpensive set of XT skewers and have not experienced any problems since then. Ever wonder while you see so many Specialized Accessories on closeout? They make awesome bikes but their components leave a lot to be desired.

Dale Wissman   racer [Dec 30, 1997]

I bought my first one when I bought a rear spinergy and was looking for a funky looking skewer to compliment it. Well, i was blown away. Not only does it way NOTHING compared to Shimano skewers, it looks great and is SO easy to operate. It's gets 5 chilies from me.

Lancer   weekend warrior [Dec 24, 1997]

I purchased these at Supergo for $15 to replace the LX shewers
on my son's Diamondback. Not only did I reduce weight but the
locking mechanism is much better than the Shimano LX. I recommend
them to any lightweights who want to trick their bikes. 5
chilis from me, meet and exceeded my expectactions. A great
deal.