Salsa Cycles Skewers Skewer

Salsa Cycles Skewers Skewer

Salsa Skewers

[Jan 13, 2013]
pedalitup

Strength:

If color choice is a strength, maybe so. .

The lightweight plastic part wears out fairly quickly. Overall design is weak. Needs to be really cranked down to sorta work. Sharp edge of handle becomes a functional drag when you have to pull it loose. Your typical old school piece of marketing crap.

Briefly sipped bling kool-aid. Began to notice rear tire off toward left chain stay after every long ride. Put a trusty old 2001 Shimano XTR skewer on to see what gives. Guess what wasn't doing its job? Ordered new XTR skewer just now.

Why I or anyone would try anything but the patented and superior quality Shimano internal cam design in an area so important to basic safety had escaped me briefly. I guess we all fall for it at times.

One more cute red ano QR thingy's in the bin where it belongs.

Bontrager, Cannondale, Spinergy, Mavic etc. . . All such lightweight imitators suck compared any Shimano skewer.

[Aug 27, 2011]
Fred Corbit

Strength:

They look good and come in many colors, but ...

The rear skewer does not fasten tighten enough to use with horizontal drop outs. Even if the skeewer is clamped very tight, when hamering on a step hill you can put the rear axel askew to the point where the tire rubs up against the frame. (It is a pain to have to stop and straighten the wheel in the middle of a climb.)

There are better skewers on the market and some of the better skewers cost less.

Shimano, Campagnolo, Easton, Neuvation (all of which were better)

[Jul 07, 2009]
vt29er

Strength:

appearance, well machined, hand friendly

salsa graphics wear off easily, plastic pieces decrease clamping ability

Bought these because my hopes didn't match new frame and it's a Salsa. Nice but plasic decreases quality and clamping force quite a bit because it deforms when clamped tight, Where salsa uses plastic Hope uses brass. I would not buy again and go for Hopes.

hope, ringle, xtr

[May 14, 2009]
aerske

Strength:

beautiful finish and colours. so far product has done what its supposed to.

none so far.

Was going to purchase hope seat clamp and skewers but couldnt get hope seat clamp to fit my frame 32mm so opted for the salsa.
Looks great and does the job.

hope

[Dec 07, 2008]
alcahueteria

Strength:

Good looks

Don't seem to be grippy enough.

So I've been using these for around a year. They seemed fine but I've always felt they were a bit hard to close. Not a big deal but more recently other issues have arrisen. I've noticed after longer rides my front skewer would have loosened up to where I question my safety. I haven't noticed this while riding yet though, only when I'd be removing the wheel to drive it home.

The rear skewer just doesn't seem to be able to squeeze tight enough or be gnarly enough to grip the frame because when I lock my rear wheel up it will try to push out of the drops. I have a chain tug on the drive side so it doens't pull forward but with the forces caused by the disc brakes it tries to jump out of the drop outs. I plan on changing to XT skewers to see if they can hold the frame better otherwise I don't know. The problem has only happened when I'm locking down the back wheel though(as in to skid).

Linette Crall

Strength:

so far: they work! Do what they are suppost to do: easy for me to take on and off each time bike goes in my car. Great color choices. Easy way to add "bling" to your bike. I have red!

[May 19, 2003]
Bob F

Strength:

My wheels haven't fallen off yet...

I don't remember exactly when I purchased these skewers, but the fact that they are "purple anodized" might give an indication... I love the way the Salsa products look and hold up. I definately will buy new Salsa skewers when these finally turn to dust and fall off my bike. No complaints, they hold my wheels on just fine. They are, however, just skewers. And to be fair, I've never had a problem with ANY skewers I've ever used. I just like the Salsa ones better.

Shimano, WTB... etc., etc....

[Oct 24, 2003]
Tyoda

Strength:

Works great, a perfect replacement for the finicky skewers that come with Mavic Crossmax wheels. Smooth open/close action, lightweight, and look pretty good.

Adjustment knob is a bit big to turn under larger forks like Fox and the large flip lever can crash into the bottom of the fork as well. Finish is a bit raw.

No real complaints, pretty much does what I expected and work way better than the jerky feeling stock Mavic skewers and lighter weight to boot.

I've also had no problems with the stock Shimano skewers, they both work well. The Salsa's are bulkier than Shimano, the lever and knob are longer/bigger. This promotes more leverage and easier unmounting, but if you're not careful, the lever can crash into the bottom of your fork and chip off paint.

Just the same, for an aftermarket skewer, it's top notch.

Shimano, Mavic