Control Tech Ti Race Skewer

Ti Race

Weight: 47 Grams/set
Road or Mountain: 100/130/135 available.
5mm Hex Key Release

timbuktu   Racer [Jan 05, 2011]
Strength:

Light but durable

Obviously it's not a "quick" release, but willing to use the allen wrench if need be.

As long as it does the job, I'm happy. No issues over the many years in use. I highly recommend the product.

Joules   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2009]
Strength:

Light, tidy, well made.
Published weights are accurate, rear skewer 25g versus 26g claimed.

No torque values for installation.

No fitting issues.
Length - threaded end of bolt just protrudes from top of end cap on both front and rear when skewers are tight. So no issues with skewer length for my set-up.
Diameter - Mavic skewers were 4.7mm, these were 4.9mm and fitted the C'max SL hub perfectly.
Weight of the two new skewers plus one standard length 5mm allen key(25g) is still lighter than the original Mavic QR's.
Fitted these for greater torsional stiffness in the fork, especially in 140mm travel, but don't have any feedback yet on whether there is any noticeable improvement.
Given that they are a premium part and the consequences of over-tightening I was surprised that no torque settings were quoted either on the website or with the installation instructions. Have tightened to 12nm but will up-date if I get anything more definite from Manufacturer.
Sitting on the fence for now on the scores. If I get an improvement in torsional stiffness and a recommended torque setting from the Manufacturer/CRC the scores will go up.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano, and Rolf QR's but first time using bolt-up type.
Peter West   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2009]
Strength:

Light

Too short to use in a fork like Fox RLC with 7mm thick dropouts.
Slow changing of wheels.
Unable to contact manufacturer trought their website.

Ok, so I admit, bought this skewers to shave some weight to my previous QR, the Mavic QR.

So now I had a pair skewers with only 46g but that demand time to install/remove the wheel. I knew taht before ordering them.

The big problem is the front axle, is to short. Have to remove the lock nut to install in my fork. After installation from 10mm available I can only use 3 to 4mm, too short. It seems too risky to use only 3mm of aluminium thread specially in the front wheel.

I am considering to return them because of the front axle, it is just too short to use with a XC suspension fork.

After feedback from the store and/or Control Tech I may do a follow up.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STX, Shimano LX, Sram, Mavic Composite's
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2007]
Strength:

Very light (47 grams/pair)
Strong
No quick-release lever to catch on trail obstacles

Allen heads can distort if you over-tighten them (found out the hard way)

If you don't need to have a quick-release lever on your skewers, these are a great option. They're incredibly light, yet strong enough to last a long time. I've used mine since '99, and they are still straight and in great shape despite taking a reglar pounding down rock gardens.

The only issue I've had was my own fault, when I over-tightened them a few times. The Allen-head became distorted, but they've still fit my Allen wrenches for years since.

Similar Products Used: OEM garbage
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2005]
Strength:

Light.

Too fat for my King hub.

I bought these to use on my Scott CR1 road bike. They were the ideal replacement for the boat anchors that came with my Ksyrium Elites. And they fit these hubs fine, if just ever so slightly snug. But I was quite surprised to discover that they were too thick to even go through the King hubs on my mountain bike. And they are the mountain version of the skewer, not that it should matter. So I guess I won't being buying a second set and will stick with the salsa's. 50 grams heavier and 50 bucks richer, no biggie. But I will have to give this otherwise great skewer a resounding thumbs down for being too fat to work with the mountain biking's premier hub.

Similar Products Used: Salsa.
Dennis   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2005]
Strength:

super light, minimalist, easy to use

need to carry a 5 mm allen key, slower wheel changes as compared to quick releases. These make the theft of your wheels more difficult.

These are perfect for weight weenies although they're not good for racing because wheel changes are slow. If you ride where part theft is an issue, these releases would slow a wheel thief down a bit. However, for the ultimate in security and light weight, Kryptonite makes a similar quick release set that require a unique keychain wrench to remove your wheels.