Bontrager QR Skewer

QR

Bontrager QR

Drew   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2017]
Strength:

Price

Unreliable, loosens, hard to tighten

The QR came stock with my Gary Fisher Sugar full susser. I have been biking for over 13 years and have used a myriad of QR s on road and mountain bikes. This QR is difficult to tighten. There is no medium pressure to let you know that the skewer is tightening. It is either very loose or impossibly tight. My front wheel actually came loose whilst going down hill on tarmac and did a face plant incurring serious injuries, broken front teeth and trip to A&E. I replaced them and threw them away. Bontrager were common in 1990s. But fast forward 20 years there are many more exceptional brands with higher quality.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
jimonthecake   Racer [Aug 05, 2008]
Strength:

crap. just like their seatpost clamp. crap.

wheel moves around no matter how tight it is calmped. just like the seat post clamp did.

worked good for almost a year and now the wheel moves around. you couldn't tighten it anymore than it has been. tried on another bike and wheel - same prob. junk just like all the bontrager junk i had to replace.

Captain Phun   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2003]
Strength:

Not a one.

Rear quick release snapped. Had to carry bike home for 2 miles. Thanks (not thanks actually) to the roadies who rode past and didn't ask if I needed a tool or anything. Roadies are cheesey.

Take these off your bike NOW! they will break and fail and cause you to carry your bike. What is up keith? These are pure junk. Hang your head.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, specialized.
ANdy Ash   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

I guess a strength is that they were free - Came on Bike

Weight - S curve design is difficult to fullt close against dropout

These skewers suck, the rear skewer was either bent when I got it, or bent while riding in the first few weeks. The rear wheel begin rubbing the inside of the chain stay and eventually led to or contributed to my having to warranty the entire frame after the wheel carved a nice notch inside my chainstay. Replace them. I contacted Bontrager to find out where they sold skewers (originally thinking they would be fine as long as I got new Straight! ones) and their crap response was that they sold them through retailers - well duh, moron! No help from those Chumps.

Similar Products Used: Performance Q-Stix, Shi-mama XT, XTR
Matt Fulks   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2003]
Strength:

Looks okay

Weak! They break, hard to get tightened right.

These skewers came stock on my 2002 Trek 8000. I had just taken a shuttle out to the beginning of the Womble trail in Arkansas with a group or four other guys. I went to put my front wheel on and SNAP! The stupid skewer broke right there out in the middle of nowhere! These things have always been hard to get adjusted right. Fortunately, somebody was nice enough to go back to camp and get an old skewer out of their tool box. I took my back one off to look at it and it is bent! WTF?!? I'm getting some Salsa skewers ASAP!

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

lightweight

n/a

All I'll say is that these skewers are rather lightweight for steel; 98g combined for the pair.

Similar Products Used: stock skewers (heavy muthers, at 190g)
Justin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 23, 2001]
Strength:

they worked until the front one broke

the front skewer snapped when i went to tighten it today so i stuck an old school shimano on there

if they came on your bike then swap em out or wait until they broke hopefull not while riding, i got lucky

Similar Products Used: shimano, trans-x
joel   Racer [Mar 13, 2008]
Strength:

they work and work well

um.......maybe weight

I normally do not feel the need to review skewers, however after reading the reviews on these I think it is necessary.

I have used these skewers on every bike I own because:
1) they are cheap
2) they work
3) they last

I ride very hard and race some 20+ mTB races per year and put more than 3000 MTB miles per year on my bike. I have never had these come loose, bend, break, or strip. maybe I have been lucky or maybe folks who have problems are doing something wrong, I don't know. I will not buy another skewer until these FINALLY give in, and then I will buy some more bontrager ones because they work and work well. I say try them. if you don't like them you are only out $10-$15 and if you dont then your still only out $10-$15.

Similar Products Used: various other types
Luke   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2000]
Strength:

OK quality, good sized steel shafts

Will not clamp SUPER tight

I had these on a pair of bontrager races that i purchased and i must say that I diddn't have any big problems with them even though I rode them only a couple of times.
They are light and hold a wheel on a frame/fork well.
The only problem is that you just think there could be a little more tightness squeezed out of them when compared to the clamping force of a shimano QR. No biggie for normal riding.
I reccomend these to anyone who can find a good deal on them, though don't spend more than 20 or so dollars as there are better QRs out there for the price.
Those who need VERY VERY tight wheels should be using a 20mm through axle/PSYLO/Marzocchi CR clamp anyways.