Bob Trailer Skewer

BOBTrailer standard quick release skewer.

stgparris   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2010]
Strength:

You can load much more than the 70LBS maximum weight limit. I've had approximately 100LBS on it bulking up on groceries. Wouldn't advise you do that often though. Very strong build.

Like many say, the weakest part of the trailer is obviously where it mounts to the frame. The provided skewer tends to bend but I attribute that more to overloading. Also, the tongue mounting to the skewer does bend if you're not careful to mount the trailer properly or slip when mounting it. Would be nice to see some sort of trailer type jack or something to set this up for easy mounting and dismounting. Will be looking at some sort of option to mount just such on my next Yak.

I'll purchase another Yak before I buy any panniers. It rides smoother and is not noticeable (except steep downhill grades). You must learn how to ride with this thing differently compared to panniers, but I learned very quickly. The type of brakes don't matter if you learn how to properly use them. Even with large loads going down a 7% grade for 7 miles, I almost burnt up a set of disc pads on the Fisher. However, that 7 miles was nothing but switchback curves. Otherwise any braking system will do well with this at slow speeds (B.O.B. recommends speeds under 35MPH).

Similar Products Used: Panniers
vimaxadventures   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Easier on the bike than heavy paniers. Easy to snap on and off. Good dry bag. Goes everywhere the bike can go. Fits into luggage for flying. After 4000km no mechanical problems.

Attachment to bike too close to newer shram derailleurs, it bends easily the derailleur hanger. Fender too close to tire (on the Yak)

We have travelled 4000km from France to the Black Sea, and have another 12000 km to go. We totally trust the bob and are just thinking about changing the wheel bearing in advance, anytime soon, just in case.
for more information and pictures, feel free to check our website!

WWW.VIMAXADVENTURES.COM

Harry   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2007]
Strength:

Easy assembly, pulls great.

On the IBEX the STOCK fender is crap. If you happen to ride as I do. On an everyday basis. It will kick up quite a rooster tail. So much for trying to keep any load dry.

I searched for a 16" fender to fit the trailer. Ended up with a Freddy Fender 20". With a little custom fitting this fender works GREAT!!!! And looks good as well. You have to do a slight bit of cutting to make it work but it completely wraps the tire and has stopped the rooster tail effect. BOB needs to consider a revamp of the current fender setup on the IBEX. I made the purchase as I am an everyday rider and have not owned a car in about 15 years. I use this for just about everything. It pulls fantastic and I do like the damoening of the shock and it's adjustability of the load levels. Most of the time I don't even realize that it's back there. I strongly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a decent trailer for everyday use.

Hans   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2002]
Strength:

extends the use of my bike to the maximum

16"-wheel

If one wants to sell his/her car: buy a trailer and use your bike to the maximum. I can transport groceries, camping gear, beer(important here in Krautland), 2 meter long poles Try that on your bike without a trailer. !wheelers you can use at high speed, the lean and follow the track of the tractor bike. On single tracks they dont need the space panniers would. There is a limit in carrying capacity when compared to 2wheel trailer, but do you need to transport that much? If that is the case: have a look at www.bikesatwork.com First thing on my Yak I converted the tiny 20x1.75 tire to a 20x2.125 version. Low inflated it eliminates the jumping.... The actual setup is a 20x2.125 tire, the modification was made on a saturday afternoon. With more volume the bigger wheel acts as a suspension system. For cargo carrying purpose I installed 2 aircraft seatbelts. A poperly installed child seat enables little Celina to long country tours (I knew the manufacturers limitations)The B.o.B.s are not the only 1wheel trailers, but compared with others the YAK offers the best compromise. When choosing a trailer YOU have to make the decission what would be the BEST for YOU. Cargo capacity, drivability, weight, after sales service, price etc. Checking the net and other sources there is nothing other than a YAK for ME.

Heinrich   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2002]
Strength:

takes more cargo than any conventional bike

small wheel, steel mesh cargo platform

I got the trailer as a birthday present and used it on 2 trips. It helped to distribute the weight of the gear and it feels as if there is lower wind resistance compared with paniers. I sprayed some wax into the small framw holes to prevent it from rusting (see the review from swiss jura). For doing that I took the teflon liner from an old brake cable housing and mounted it to a wax spray can, blocked the other end of the teflon liner with a small screw and put some very small holes at the ends circumference in it with a hot needle.
The YAK is a great help for shopping.
The steel mesh cargo platform loks a little .... , the small wheel is terrible when crossing obstacles. Compared to that the Monoporters bigger wheels does much better, thats the reason why YAK doesn´t get the full five star rating in both value and overall ratings.

Similar Products Used: Yakima BigTow, Weber Monoporter
Drew   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

This is a keep it simple product that really works. great construction and design. does everything it says iy will at a fair price and is built to last. hard to find many products anywhere that do that.

have not found any.

I rode to work with a heavy messeger bag aon and could feel my stuff poking me in the back, not bad though, got the trailer during the day and put all of my stuff inthe trailer and rode it 12 miles home. I had to keep looking back to see if was still there. It rode so smooth and light I felt like I was cheating. Cars actualy gave me a little more room since I think some thought it was a baby carrier. Just can not say enough good things about this product.

Similar Products Used: none
Alan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 11, 2006]
Strength:

Ease of connecting, shuspension.

none yet

Found this trailer, a BOB Ibex, great. Lastest ride towed it 335km of trail riding on the Mund Biddi trail. Carried 45kg in it...Load it up I say.... Touched speeds of 41Kph on pea gravel...was hangin' on...37Kph was comfy. Have had the rig up to 70Kph on the road, very stable.
However am getting the rear swingarm modified to take a 26" wheel for ease of spares and also to fit an Enomorphin 3.7 for the sand. I'll be doing a 400km trail trek in 4wks with the new set up. I'll post the results. Bottom line...love it.

Similar Products Used: none
Tim W.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2000]
Strength:

Strong construction, solid design and ease of use. New model has improved drop-out design that makes losing the pins far less likely.

Drop-outs can easily bend, but with proper attention when loading, I've never had a problem.

I've used my trailer for everything from commuting to work to long singletrack rides. I'd never go back to panniers. The BOB is durable, tracks true and handles well, and can be quickly attached and removed from the bike. Many people complain about the old pin/drop-out system (and the new design looks like an improvement) but I've never lost a pin when they were properly and completely inserted in the dropouts. I did have one QR skewer go bad when it stopped holding tightly, but the customer service folks quickly replaced it. I recommend carrying a spare skewer when riding in remote areas, and extra pins, just in case.

Similar Products Used: Panniers, but there really isn't another product similar to BOB.
Julian Hughes   [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

carries large loads easily. new type sack is genuinely waterproof. bike still handles normally,except at v high speed,i.e over 35mph. trailer and bag are well made. trailer attaches very easily to bike. flag and bright yellow sack are highly visible. locking bike and trailer and sack together with d lock and cable is easy and i felt confident that i could leave it parked in car parks etc. the single rear wheel and head tube type attachment to your bike give you a stable trailer and load which track your bikes line very well...no nasty surprises or changes in balance

drop outs look suspect tho i havent had any trouble yet.I doubt you'll make friends with railway staff or busdrivers if you try to put one of these on board...

Excellent,I bought one of these a week b4 going on an 1100 mile tour(on road)as i just hate riding with panniers and trunk etc. The biggest appeal was to be able to carry a full camping load without putting a huge weight on the rear wheel and getting punctures,broken spokes,hideous bike handling etc.. well i did 1140 miles in 15 days over hills,small mountains,rough rural roads,big fast busy roads,some very steep climbs and descents and the bob yak trailer was brilliant. no punctures,no broken spokes...wore out a new set of rear pads on the maguras tho... i only had 1 scary moment on an extremely steep descent on a very wet and bumpy road trying hard to keep the speed under 40mph while the enlightened and considerate motorist behind was honking as he felt i wasnt going quick enough....towards the very sharp bend at the bottom of the descent...It can get a bit too exciting over 35mph.. the trailer is actually very stable indeed as long as the load is packed with the weight biased towards the trailer wheel,not the rear wheel of your bike...it makes a BIG difference when heavily loaded. The bright sack and flag make you highly visible and they feel FRIENDLY...as cyclists we seem to spend a lot of money to look like hostile alien invaders and strangely thats how we get treated...
One benefit of towing a fully loaded bob yak is that when i got back on my nice light road bike the local hills just seemed like hard work instead of the leg burning manifestations of cyclists hell on earth i'd always assumed them to be.the bottom line is if you dont like to use a car,or if you need to carry large or heavy loads on your bike and you prefer it to steer and stop in a normal way(unlike when using panniers),get a bob trailer. I'll give it 5 for overall and 4 for value,as somehow it costs much much more in uk than usa...so is it cheaper to ship it from taiwan to usa than to uk...i think not. In England we always get stung on price.

Similar Products Used: panniers..yuk.
Brian   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2000]
Strength:

Solid construction.
Quality.
Excellent trailer.

Tire has developed small cracks along sidewall.

Buy one!
Cars suck!!

Similar Products Used: No prior trailer used.