Zipp 515 rims Rim

515 rims

Julian   Downhiller [Mar 11, 2001]
Strength:

Light, stiff, stands up well to XC, don't think it's meant for DH but I use it for that as well anyway, really COOL look!

Pricey

Great pair of rims, suprised there are not many reviews here of it, expensive.

Similar Products Used: Mavics, Suns
OVERALL
Joel T.   cross-country rider [Oct 19, 1998]

I bought a pair of Zipp's 515 rims. They have Shimano XTR hubs on both front and rear. The rear rim has performed flawlessly...wonderful. The front rim has a very interesting story behind it. Being under warranty, it's been sent back to Zipp 3 times for the following problem. When applying my Shimano XTR-V brakes to the front rim, I get an oscillating movement in the brake lever. The bike shop told me that it was because the rim wall was ever so slightly flared in one portion of the rim wall causing the oscillation when the brake pads were applied.
So, I sent the rim to Zipp for replacement. Rim #2 (confirmed new rim) same oscillation problem. Returned for Rim #3 (confirmed new rim) same oscillation problem. Ah, ha! You say V-Brake problem? Have had a Spin and two different Mavic rims on the front of my bike using the same V-brake pads and arm...NO OSCILLATION. It's not the brakes!! If anyone has had a problem similar to this or has any suggestions...PLEASE send me info: tacky@hughes.net.
Right now I'm about at my wits end. Can 3 rims all be faulty??

OVERALL